Ebola Virus

How would that work exactly? Sure we can track who is coming from Liberia, but that only goes so far. He flies from Liberia to Belgium. How do we keep him from flying from Belgium to the US, short of banning all flights from Belgium? We have no authority to keep someone in Belgium from getting on a plane. We can deny his passport once he's here, but that doesn't stop him from hitting US soil or coming into contact with Americans.

Even if such a ban would do any good, and we don't know if it would, it would take a coordinated world wide flight ban, good luck with that.

And not even flights.

So he then decided to get a flight from Belgium to Toronto, makes his way to Niagara then walks or taxis across the border.

Way too many scenarios to think a simplistic action like the above would be effective. It's just window dressing without substance.

I am an RN as well and your comments are really naive and ignorant, sorry to say. If you are exposed to a person with active Ebola symptoms, there is no "common sense" in the world that will protect you. The hospital in Dallas had no Ebola protocol in place so blaming the brave nurse who risked her life for "breaking protocol" is rather cruel and unkind. :(

I suspect the lack of ebola protocols were common among all (except for the specialized units in four locations) hospitals in this country. I know that in Denver three hospitals now are designated. Before - non were. I'm more apt to blame the CDC and its lack of preparation and guidance. It's leader is a complete buffoon and should step down immediately. I don't blame the nurses. They risked their lives to take care of that man and should be commended for their bravery.

So I wasn't really nervous until this whole CCL thing came about. Now I don't know what to do. We were planning to take our first family cruise for my 30th birthday in December with my toddler to the Bahamas. I'm hoping this gets under control so we don't feel pressured to cancel our trip! I guess a bit of paranoia is starting to set in.

Has anyone actually cancelled their rci trip yet due to this outbreak?

Alright people, you can live in fear and cancel all your trips.

But what about when you go to the grocery store? Say someone who shopped at your regular store was exposed to the woman who went on the CCL cruise. That person could be from any City in the Country. Are you going to quit going to the grocery store because you may be exposed to a piece of fruit or some lettuce that was in the vicinity of a sneeze from someone who was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who had Ebola?

I completely agrees with what everyone is saying here. Yes there is a hysteria from the media.

But one thing many are missing the point is that this is a virus that has no cure and has already become an epidemic killing over 4500 people ( yes I many of those lost were from Africa). It's not really living in fear to cancel a trip and post pone it for maybe a safer time to travel. Currently the CDC is has stated that they failed in protecting the American public, because out of 1 confirmed case, 2 new cases have emerged with several more being monitored.

It's not an over reaction, when predictions are saying that it will only get worse. Death tolls are said to rise, and suspected cases are for sure to continue to rise.

What the media has done, to an extreme case, is build a level of respect this virus deserves. In my opinion I would rather live in a society were we have become mindful of current events and know how to prevent, then an ignorant society believing that this will simply be swept under the rug.

Again this is all imop

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely agrees with what everyone is saying here. Yes there is a hysteria from the media.

But one thing many are missing the point is that this is a virus that has no cure and has already become an epidemic killing over 4500 people ( yes I many of those lost were from Africa). It's not really living in fear to cancel a trip and post pone it for maybe a safer time to travel. Currently the CDC is has stated that they failed in protecting the American public, because out of 1 confirmed case, 2 new cases have emerged with several more being monitored.

It's not an over reaction, when predictions are saying that it will only get worse. Death tolls are said to rise, and suspected cases are for sure to continue to rise.

What the media has done, to an extreme case, is build a level of respect this virus deserves. In my opinion I would rather live in a society were we have become mindful of current events and know how to prevent, then an ignorant

society believing that this will simply be swept under the rug.

Again this is all imop

Ok let me put this another way....Wake up people you are being played and the game is fear. The result of all this fear mongering? We now have troops on the ground in West Africa where we did not have them before. The Powers that be tried...remember Bring back our Girls and the Boko Haram?? Yeah, that didn't work and this did. This has nothing to do with Politics or whether you are Conservative or Liberal but it does have everything to do with money and power. Money in the form of the Oil and Diamonds in West Africa. And the power to control it.

If you wanted to get the Military involved in fighting Ebola wouldn't you send the many Doctors, Nurses and other Medical Technicians employed by the Army, Navy and Marines? One would think. But no....we are sending troops. And they may stay there for a long time.

They say you can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can never fool all of the people all of the time. This looks like one of those cases and some of us are not fooled.

Might Ebola be "isolated" by using the common sense business practices of Supply Chain Management, a.k.a. Logistics?

Given the disease has been centered in a certain geographical area:

1. Shouldn't all out-going flights from afflicted areas immediately cease?

2. Shouldn't Health Care workers having the compassion (and Hippocratic Oath) to assist patients, be allowed in?

3. Shouldn't International support be solicited for all necessary supplies?

4. Shouldn't a "Quarantine Zone"(no symptoms after 30 days) be established for Health Care workers and all others seeking to travel FROM the afflicted zone?

It's a deadly disease and needs to be isolated.

Just food for thought from a non-medical Business Major who wants to cruise on Brilliance in January!!!:rolleyes:

I'm cruising next week, then again on a Quantum B2B in December, again in January, and again in February. I will drive to each debarkation port.

The only cruises I am considering canceling are 3 in Europe in April/May….NOT for fear of catching Ebola but rather the mess that might develop at the airports by the time I have to fly BACK to the U.S.

If I cancel those I'll probably substitute cruises originating in the U.S. so I can drive to/from the port.

BUT, if everything goes to hell in a hand basket I'll change my mind. I can always stay home and read Cruise Critic.:p

My other option is to cancel all my cruises and fly to St.Martin and spend the winter on the beach.

Edited by beachnative

Ok let me put this another way....Wake up people you are being played and the game is fear. The result of all this fear mongering? We now have troops on the ground in West Africa where we did not have them before. The Powers that be tried...remember Bring back our Girls and the Boko Haram?? Yeah, that didn't work and this did. This has nothing to do with Politics or whether you are Conservative or Liberal but it does have everything to do with money and power. Money in the form of the Oil and Diamonds in West Africa. And the power to control it.

If you wanted to get the Military involved in fighting Ebola wouldn't you send the many Doctors, Nurses and other Medical Technicians employed by the Army, Navy and Marines? One would think. But no....we are sending troops. And they may stay there for a long time.

They say you can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can never fool all of the people all of the time. This looks like one of those cases and some of us are not fooled.

I happen to agree with you. When so many if our best military are in west Africa one has to wonder

Just for the record for my critics I do not watch any media reports regarding ebola I don't trust them

However common sense tells me that this ship and pax will not have a simple easy walk off

For a number of logical reasons

To think otherwise is ridiculous.

I'm cruising next week, then again on a Quantum B2B in December, again in January, and again in February. I will drive to each debarkation port.

The only cruises I am considering canceling are 3 in Europe in April/May….NOT for fear of catching Ebola but rather the mess that might develop at the airports by the time I have to fly BACK to the U.S.

If I cancel those I'll probably substitute cruises originating in the U.S. so I can drive to/from the port.

BUT, if everything goes to hell in a hand basket I'll change my mind. I can always stay home and read Cruise Critic.:p

My other option is to cancel all my cruises and fly to St.Martin and spend the winter on the beach.

I am also quite interested in how this ship is received when it gets back

If you feel there could be a problem flying back in from Europe which could certainly turn out to be correct

Then why would you think a cruise ships return would be any easier?

I realize a ship is a captive audience that left all together the week before whereas a plane is not

But the reentry still is the same isn't it?

You left the country and now you are returning

Lets wait and see how the magic is received

in regards to the post above about our sending in military to Africa. There are nurses and doctors and medics going but also seebees that build hospitals and you need the logistical people as well. It is not troops on the ground for combat.

So he then decided to get a flight from Belgium to Toronto, makes his way to Niagara then walks or taxis across the border.

I came across that boarder in Niagara back in July, both ways. You don't just merrily waltz across the boarder. I was just short cutting through from NY to Michigan and back. I was questioned, passport scrutinized. If there was a ban, they could get a lot of folks at those places. It certainly is not as easy as you make it out to be. Make it inconveinient as possible, that is a deterent unless you mean to be a spreader on porpose.

What the media has done, to an extreme case, is build a level of respect this virus deserves. In my opinion I would rather live in a society were we have become mindful of current events and know how to prevent, then an ignorant society believing that this will simply be swept under the rug.

Again this is all imop

I agree.

You've got about as much chance of catching Ebola on a cruise as you do of catching cholera in Haiti.

Aft Cabins Rule

This is a really silly statement. If someone on your ship comes down with active symptoms of ebola you have a very real chance of getting it. It actually lives for one hour on surfaces according to the CDC.

Edited by e2011

1798449_10204611535762034_2917382322688143913_n.jpg?oh=ae9a6677d61c7b1648c0ffca91ade0b3&oe=54EAD67C&__gda__=1420819779_c12da0cfff01117fd449193a6549ca61

Are you implying that medical issues resulting from actions of choice and those resulting from aquiring an infectious disease through no fault of your own are in some way related? I have never become fat, drunk, or developed liver disease from being with someone who was either fat, drunk, or both.

Edited by Ocean Boy

This is a really silly statement. If someone on your ship comes down with active symptoms of ebola you have a very real chance of getting it. It actually lives for one hour on surfaces according to the CDC.

Ok and point me to one specific case that has been documented to have spread by touch another surface ,(you will not find one)..All documented cases are via direct contact with patients fluids or caring for patient.Yes it can stay active on a surface for a certain time under the right conditions but there is not one documented case of this scenario to date.I would not worry if I were on a ship with a CONFIRMED case of ebola.Practice good hygiene as you should always do and your chances are almost zero of being infected UNLESS you have DIRECT contact with the patient.Please dont add to the panic its already out of hand.

Edited by rtazz17

Ok and point me to one specific case that has been documented to have spread by touch another surface ,(you will not find one)..All documented cases are via direct contact with patients fluids or caring for patient.Yes it can stay active on a surface for a certain time under the right conditions but there is not one documented case of this scenario to date.I would not worry if I were on a ship with a CONFIRMED case of ebola.Practice good hygiene as you should always do and your chances are almost zero of being infected UNLESS you have DIRECT contact with the patient.Please dont add to the panic its already out of hand.

You, however, would not disagree that fomites, are a source of transmission of infectious disease, correct?