Dress Code For Men

Ballyboffin

At last my husband has decided to 'think' about what he will pack for our upcoming cruise! On informal nights do men wear suits or jackets and with or without ties?

Thanks

At the end of this post I have copied and pasted the recommended evening attire. This is directly from the Silversea Web Site and we went with this to determine what to pack for our Silversea cruise and it worked perfectly.

Specific to your question a sports jacket and dress slacks is appropriate for informal night with a tie optional. Some men will wear the tie and others won't but it is not necessary.

Keith

=========================================

Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men).

Or perhaps is sufficient!

It sounds like you disapprove of people wearing dark suits. Please let me know when you will be cruising...so I can avoid that sailing. You do not sound like a fun person.

Scotspea We are on a Capetown to Capetown Cruise in Jan, after the cruise we are doing extensive travel throughout S/Africa, if you think I am going to put a TUX in my luggage to accomodate you, then think again. One Dark Suit will suffice.

Lighten up guys, Scottspea was agreeing with you! i.e. A dark suit is good.:D

We all speak English but there's obviously a translation problem going on here.;)

Cheers

Jennifer

Many thanks for explaining it to the over sensitive readers.

Thank you all for your advice, now all my husband has to do is leave out the clothes he wants to take and I get to do his packing ;)

Joe, glad that you verified that you wear 'SHOES' ! That will stop John appearing in his sandals and socks on such occasions LOL

Sorry Scotspea that you got in bother by your comment. I think that though we are all English speaking, things said in jest can be misconstrued by different nationalities as sarcasm. Only the Scots and the Irish have (roughly) the same sense of humour :D

Scotspea We are on a Capetown to Capetown Cruise in Jan, after the cruise we are doing extensive travel throughout S/Africa, if you think I am going to put a TUX in my luggage to accomodate you, then think again. One Dark Suit will suffice.

I am sorry I cannot send the word 'sufficient' in Braille via this medium. However, I can assure you I have absoutely no interest in the contents of your suitcase and even less in your itinerary.

I am sorry I cannot send the word 'sufficient' in Braille via this medium. However, I can assure you I have absoutely no interest in the contents of your suitcase and even less in your itinerary.
Scotspea, I learned long ago that it is impossible to get across my humor and sarcasm in a post. Even my friends on FB don't always get it.

As we are going to Cambodia post Vietnam cruise, with two connections on the flight home, my SO and I are going to try to pack all our worldly goods in carry on luggage only. If my white dinner jacket and formal shirt fit in, wonderful, but if not, neither will a dark suit (unless I have it made in HK and ship it home when we reach port) and I may just have to regretfully skip formal night. We do enjoy them, and I hope I can get everything in.

Scotspea, I learned long ago that it is impossible to get across my humor and sarcasm in a post. Even my friends on FB don't always get it.

As we are going to Cambodia post Vietnam cruise, with two connections on the flight home, my SO and I are going to try to pack all our worldly goods in carry on luggage only. If my white dinner jacket and formal shirt fit in, wonderful, but if not, neither will a dark suit (unless I have it made in HK and ship it home when we reach port) and I may just have to regretfully skip formal night. We do enjoy them, and I hope I can get everything in.

Thank you Cruiserman, I could cry sometimes at the opaque sensibilities of some posters!

Henry, there can be but if you are new to Silversea and you have one question going through a thread of hundreds of posts is really tiresome.

I believe the Seabourn one has close to 300 posts.

My view is simple.

The poster asked a specific question about informal night.

It is a really simple question to answer without getting into all of the opinion.

Why in earth it has to lead to so many posts that have nothing to do with informal night is really beyond my comprehension.

Just my two cents.

Keith

It is amazing how some people buy a cruise and think they own the right to tell every other cruiser what they must do in order to please them. :confused:

I'm looking forward to 100% smart casual with a pen for those who want to strut their stuff .......

It is amazing how some people buy a cruise knowing that they will not be pleased with the product even though they know what the protocol is in advance. When the dress code is finally dropped, will you take your pen and write us all a bulletin to that effect?

It is amazing how some people buy a cruise knowing that they will not be pleased with the product even though they know what the protocol is in advance. When the dress code is finally dropped, will you take your pen and write us all a bulletin to that effect?

I doubt it.:D When I said "pen" I meant as in "holding pen" .........

For many years we simply decamped uncomplainingly to our suite and had a sandwich (or something light) and DVD night on formal nights. We use to spend more on suites than we do now so if you are in say 801 on Whisper or Shadow it's no great hardhsip. I think we recognised that everything you do that involves a large number of other people having different desires and aspirations needs to be treated in a stoic way and it wasn't any great issue for us and it's unfair to others to simply continue whingeing about it. When you buy a cruise you know what's expected.

I have had long debates with SS management about formal nights but they have a very difficult and somewhat risky path to navigate. They fully understand that their current customers largely like what they see as the magic of the elegant formal night, and changing this might have an unknown level of loyalty defect to other lines.

They also fully understand that the current regime puts off an unknown segment of what may be their future ie the younger affluent who are put off by "dressing up". There is a large untapped sector for affluent younger people who like the smaller ships and love the luxury but aren't use to having people tell them what they must wear if they want to eat. I think that is their future and (potentially more profitable) market but making the transition is something no one really knows how to make ..... unless you do it on one ship trial first ...........;)

Archived