Open Dining - Can't Select.

Gailnsw

We sail in Oct 2017 . Only had 8.30 seated available.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forums mobile app

I would definitely guess that all of the other seatings are booked, as your cruise is only a couple of weeks away. I have one booked in October also and selected my dining 1 1/2 years ago! You can always go to the dining room when you board the ship to see if there are any cancellations for the other dining times.

We signed up more than a year out for a May 2018 cruise. They claimed select dining was already filled up and assigned us to 8:30. Our TA says she got us into select, but the website STILL doesn't show it. Argh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We signed up more than a year out for a May 2018 cruise. They claimed select dining was already filled up and assigned us to 8:30. Our TA says she got us into select, but the website STILL doesn't show it. Argh.

A suggestion for the future, if your preferred dining time is not available when you book have your TA put you on the waitlist ( if you book on X site you can do it when you are booking). Select was full for a cruise we booked 3 months out so asked to be waitlisted and about 3-4 weeks later we were moved to Select.

Heard that story from my TA too. I went to the dining room curious why I hadn't received my table assignment in my Cabin( I wanted late dining). Lo and behold I was on select. The Dining room attendants fixed it.

So be prepared to have to fix it on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering if we can just turn up for anytime dining anyway .

I don't think you can simply show up for Select Dining as you will have been assigned to a table at a specific seating.

Having been assigned to the late seating, and wanting to switch to the early seating, we went straight to the dining room when we boarded the ship, and requested the change. They were able to move our group to the early seating.

Select Dining fills up very quickly so it may be more difficult to switch from either early or late seatings to Select. If you booked directly with Celebrity, you might call them and ask them to change the dining choice or add you to a wait list for Select Dining.

We are in AQ/BLU

When we check the dinner menu, if it is not to our liking we call Select MDR and usually are able to get an MDR res...we dine early so maybe that's why...Not sure if those with fixed seating time can book select too,

Ahead of time, it's you and the computer...on board it seems more flexible.

If you are not booked for open dining, why do you think that you should be allowed to sit there. If I went into the fixed dining room and sat in your seat, would you be annoyed. Well I will be annoyed if you try to poach on my open dining seats. Stay in the room that you are assigned to and stay out of mine.

DON

Generally no! The person on the door will ask for your cabin number, pull it up on their computer...and tell you that you belong at the Fixed Sitting. So what to do? Certainly keep checking to see if you can change your selection online. Otherwise, once you are aboard you should go to the MDR (soon after you board) where there is normally one of the Maitre d's working near the door (there will likely be a line). You can then ask for Open Dining and hope that there is room. Otherwise, they will put you on a Wait List.

The cruise world has been going through lots of changes over the past decade. A few years ago the late sitting was the most popular and filled up fast. Then, the early sittings became the most popular and the late (Fixed) seating became the easiest to book. But gradually, the Open Sitting option has taken on a life of its own and become very popular. Whether (or not) you can get changed to Open Dining will depend on how the numbers work on your particular cruise. But keep in mind that the "early bird usually gets the worm" so you want to try and get your dining changed ASAP after you board.

Hank

I am confused about Celebrity, on HAL any time dining, you simply show up at MDR and are seated within minutes as there are two levels of MDR and one is reserved for fixed and other for any time dining. Don't understand having to make a reservation for "any time" dining on Celebrity ?????? Yes, you can make a specific dining time and table size on HAL in any time venue, but not necessary.

I am confused about Celebrity, on HAL any time dining, you simply show up at MDR and are seated within minutes as there are two levels of MDR and one is reserved for fixed and other for any time dining. Don't understand having to make a reservation for "any time" dining on Celebrity ?????? Yes, you can make a specific dining time and table size on HAL in any time venue, but not necessary.

Why are you confused? It's exactly the same on Celebrity. We always book Select and just turn up at a time that suits us and usually ask for a table for 2 by the window. We may have to wait around 10 mins but if we were happy to sit at any table we would usually be seated right away. Some guests like to book for a certain time and you can do this although they won't guarantee the same table each night. Many people report that they DO get the same table though. Are you saying that on HAL you don't need to tell the cruise line in advance that you want open seating?

Your TA should have issued you with another invoice!