St martens

Disney1961jenkins

Hi can anyone tell me the cost of taxis as I keep reading varying things such as they are expensive and that the roads are really busy so would we best to do an organised trip. If so then does anyone know a good company to use

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We toured St Maarten with Twin Island Tours, @ $45 pp for a 5 hour tour with cooler full of free soft drinks, beer and rum punch. Tour covered the whole island: Great Salt Lake, Lucas Bay, Marigot (@1 hour stop), Orient Bay (@ 1.5 hours at beach), Maho beach (1 hour - they time the tour to get you there for some of the big planes landing and taking off). Vehicle was modern, full air con, spotlessly clean. Guide was great. Food and drink (not part of tour) at the Sunset Bar at Maho was fab! Highly recommended.

Taxis are expensive if you've pre-booked / negotiated for a tour but on one occasion just picked up one at the port and thought it was very pricey. We went to Marigot another time and the road between Philipsburg and Marigot was really congested. We used a bus which we just got on at the local Court House. Think it was $2 so definitely cheaper than a taxi

I am afraid that Irma might have inflicted quite a few changes on this beautiful Island.

Some of the photos coming out are horrendous. I do hope for their sake that they can get themselves sorted quickly and get some ships in as you end up with a double whammy of massive destruction and no income. The storm must have been very frightening to be in but the clear up will hard on them too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am afraid that Irma might have inflicted quite a few changes on this beautiful Island.

Yes indeed, it's looks horrendous. Not sure when the OP is travelling but there will certainly be some effect on itineries/schedules for those travelling in the not too distant future and probably longer. Cruises & itineries can be changed - in comparison to the troubles the locals will be faced with I'm sure that should be the least of our worries.

It is truly heartbreaking to see the destruction and devastation caused by Irma in the Caribbean and we are preparing ourselves that our first cruise to this beautiful area in December wont quite be what we were expecting.

Being new to the cruising scene and P&O, how long in advance would they tell us of any changes to our itinerary, and what happens to any tours already booked?

I know that these things are trifling in the grand scheme of what has happened, but if we are still likely to be going to any of the Islands affected, we would like to take some things like children's reading books, crayons, pencils, chalk, etc to give to a local school,

[quote name=Boatmans Lady;54005388

I know that these things are trifling in the grand scheme of what has happened' date=' but if we are still likely to be going to any of the Islands affected, we would like to take some things like children's reading books, crayons, pencils, chalk, etc to give to a local school,[/quote]

Regarding the school supplies - is this because of the current situation? Generally the schools are pretty well funded and do not need these articles. Whether the devastation will have affected such things, I'm not sure. There's an awful lot of restructuring to be done unfortunately.

Giving books, crayons etc is commendable, but when the school itself is no longer standing, perhaps not of immediate use. I would prefer to give money directly to the school rebuilding fund, if that was at all possible.

Regarding the school supplies - is this because of the current situation? Generally the schools are pretty well funded and do not need these articles. Whether the devastation will have affected such things, I'm not sure. There's an awful lot of restructuring to be done unfortunately.

Yes, this is in light of of the current situation, as with 95% of buildings affected on some Islands, water will have got in and destroyed a lot of these things, and just thought that things children could use would be of help.

Giving books, crayons etc is commendable, but when the school itself is no longer standing, perhaps not of immediate use. I would prefer to give money directly to the school rebuilding fund, if that was at all possible.

Both myself and my hubby donated through different routes yesterday and if we do get to visit some of these Islands we will certainly help their economy by putting our hands in our pockets and buy things. Just thought that things like this are always helpful, as you are right, and the school buildings have been destroyed, but children still need to be occupied and having tools to do this help, even if they are used as Christmas presents as I shouldn't think these items will be on a priority list.