#1 Recommendations for Pinnacle & Caneletto Dinner

retdon

What is your recommendations for the #1 best thing on the menu for dinner at the Pinnacle and Canaletto? We eat all meats; pork, lamb, beef, chicken, fish, etc. We like almost all vegetables and desserts are yummy. We have looked at the menus and would like some opinion since we have never eaten there. Thanks, Linda

My friends it is hard for me to believe you have never eaten there. Anyway, this is all subjective but in the Pinnacle I put at the top of my list the Filet cooked rare to medium rare Pittsburgh style.

Canellto. We are one of the few (per the boards) who enjoy an occasional meal there. The large ravioli is great. I enjoy the veal and just about everything else.

We find the Canletto a nice break from the MDR routine especially on long cruises.

You will get a lot of opinions but the best way is to try different menu items and see for yourself. I think of the Pinnacle more as a nice Steak House.

Lunch in the Pinnacle is another nice option. The Bleu Cheese Encrusted Filet is wonderful.

Hope this finds the both of you doing well and hope you enjoy your cruise.

Edited by aliaschief

Anyway, this is all subjective but in the Pinnacle I put at the top of my list the Filet cooked rare to medium rare Pittsburgh style.

What's Pittsburgh Style? Fries and Cole Slaw on top like Primanti Brothers? :D

Not exactly.:) Steel workers in days ago used to bring a piece of meat with them to work for lunch and they would put it in the foundry for a few secs and it would give the meat a nice char on the outside and rare/to medium rare inside. Won't work well for well done steak orders.

The term Pittsburgh style is know in every Pinnacle Grill we have eaten at and is pretty much a standard term used in most upscale chop houses.

Edited by aliaschief

In the Pinnacle, I used to love the onion soup. Alas, that is no more. :(

So, now I start with the Caesar salad, followed by the petit filet, potato, and asparagus. With friends, we order several veggies family style, and share. That is filling.

For dessert, I ask for one scoop of the Cherry Garcia ice cream (baked Alaska, hold the meringue and sponge cake ;)). It's nice & lite, and refreshing to end the meal.

I've always heard Pittsburgh Style steak to mean black outside and red inside. :)

I like the rib eye and/or filet mignon at Pinnacle, medium rare, please. :)

I also have had grilled salmon that I enjoyed very much.

This is the latest menu I have from spring 2015:

The Pinnacle Dinner is $29 per person. You can book the dinner either online, through Ship’s Services at 1-800-541-1576 or once you are on the ship.

Starters:

TOMATO BROTH WITH SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN with flavors of kaffir lime and cilantro

LOBSTER BISQUE

crème fraîche and aged cognac

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

BEEFSTEAK TOMATO AND BASIL

sliced red onion, pesto, extra virgin

olive oil and balsamic reduction

* STEAK TARTARE

seasoned finely-chopped Double R Ranch beef

accompanied with parsley, cornichon, capers and red onion

JUMBO-LUMP CRAB CAKES

sweet chili-mustard sauce

* OSSETRA MALOSSOL CAVIAR $45

served on ice with crème fraîche and buckwheat blini

THE GRILL

DOUBLE R RANCH STEAKS

served with your choice of hand-crafted sauce:

sun-dried tomato ° master chef ’s green peppercorn ° béarnaise ° horseradish-mustard ° hollandaise ° maitre d’ garlic butter

* 7OZ. PETITE FILET MIGNON

* 10 OZ. FILET MIGNON

* 23 OZ. PORTERHOUSE

* 12 OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

* 18 OZ. BONE-IN RIB EYE STEAK

* GRILLED COLORADO LAMB CHOPS

spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce

* DOUBLE-CUT KUROBUTA PORK CHOP

marinated in rosemary, garlic and pepper vinegar with scallions

ROASTED JIDORI CHICKEN WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS

cider vinegar jus, forbiden ric

e cake with quinoa and apricot, mâche salad and toasted pistachio nuts

SEAFOOD

* BROILED ALASKAN KING SALMON

with lemon garlic herb splash

KING CRAB LEGS $20 -- They were gone from our Zuiderdam cruises in the spring because they were so tiny that the Pinnacle chef would not sell them.

your choice steamed or broiled served with drawn butter

* CEDAR PLANKED PACIFIC HALIBUT WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

roasted garlic and cilantro butter

WEST COAST STYLE SEAFOOD CIOPPINO

tomato braised clams, mussels, shrimp, Alaskan crab and halibut

THE VEGETARIAN INTRIGUE

BAKED-STUFFED EGGPLANT

ragoût of zucchini, onion, eggplant and tomato on creamy polenta

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLI

in pesto cream sauce

ROASTED PUMPKIN RISOTTO

mascarpone cheese and Swiss chard

SHAREABLE SIDES

wilted spinach - sautéed mushrooms - baby carrots - grilled asparagus

Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and pancetta - classic whipped potatoes - shoestring fries with truffle aïoli

INDIVIDUAL SIDE

jumbo baked Idaho potato

Holland America Line only serves sustainable seafood

THE FINALE

NOT-SO-CLASSIC BAKED ALASKA

Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream with Bing cherries jubilee

WARM GRAND MARNIER CHOCOLATE VOLCANO CAKE

the ultimate chocolate experience

PINNACLE SOUFFLÉ

vanilla soufflé with base of mixed berry compote and finished with molten Drambuie cream truffle

LEMON-BRÛLÉE TART

blueberry whipped cream

CREAMY HOMEMADE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE

served with fresh berries

FRESH BERRIES

with a Sabayon sauce

PREMIUM ICE CREAM AND SORBET

DAILY CHEESE PLATE

Pittsburgh style is searing meat for approximately 15-30 seconds on each side before serving.

All of HAL's other steaks are pre-seared before meal time. When a steak is ordered, it is cooked in the oven for the time required to meet the customer's desired doneness.

Unlike the other HAL steaks, Pittsburgh-style steaks are not pre-seared but cooked from raw meat just prior to serving to ensure that the outside is hot.

This is the latest menu I have from spring 2015:

Here is the current menu from May 2015 from Ms Noordam in Alaska to include wines and after dinner drinks (Note that crab legs are no longer available):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill-Dinner1.pdf

Love the lamb chops and the filet mignons.

Not exactly.:) Steel workers in days ago used to bring a piece of meat with them to work for lunch and they would put it in the foundry for a few secs and it would give the meat a nice char on the outside and rare/to medium rare inside. Won't work well for well done steak orders.

The term Pittsburgh style is know in every Pinnacle Grill we have eaten at and is pretty much a standard term used in most upscale chop houses.

I ordered a filet in the PG -- very rare -- he said blue -- I said yes. Then he said Pittsburg.

Is it Black and Blue? I'm a sucker for meat prep.

Primanti Brother's -- quite a few locations in Pittsburgh.

They pile everything they can on top of the bun -- meat, several sauces, several cheeses, tomatoes, onions, French fries, cole slaw, etc.

They are huge!!

The meat is not always raw -- cooked to your perfection!!

There's one on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. They have no pierogies, which makes us sad, but the pizza by the slice is quite good. (If you are visiting Fort Lauderdale, please feel free to skip this place. Unless you're from Pittsburgh - in which case you can grab an IC and a sandwich.)

Primanti Brother's -- quite a few locations in Pittsburgh.

They pile everything they can on top of the bun -- meat, several sauces, several cheeses, tomatoes, onions, French fries, cole slaw, etc.

They are huge!!

The meat is not always raw -- cooked to your perfection!!

Their bread is absolute perfection. This thread is making me hungry!

If given the option of only eating once in the Pinnacle Grill for dinner, I would choose to eat at "Le Cirque" instead of a Regular night in PG:

Wild Burgundy Escargot

Chateaubriand 'Blue (Pittsburgh Style), as mentioned by Aliaschief and described by Crew News above. (without the Beets *YUCK!!*) I always ask for no beets and that's how it comes *Thankfully:))

Strawberry Pavlova

IF I could not eat at Le Cirque and had to choose from the regular PG menu I'd have:

Caesar Salad with extra anchovies, made table side.

7 oz. Petite Filet Mignon 'Blue (Pittsburgh Style), again, as mentioned by Aliaschief and described by Crew News above. Served with Classic Mashed Potatoes and Au Juis (? Spelling).

Grand Marnier Volcano Cake.

As to the Canaletto, I cannot answer since I've not had the "New Menu" only the original, which alas, as I understand it was changed about a year or so ago.........

So there you have my favorites:)

Joanie

I haven't been a fan of Canaletto in the past but it was quite good on the Veendam in May. I enjoyed the veal and sea bass.

I like the pinnacle for lunch but it's getting to be too heavy for dinner. I'm enjoying beef less and less these days as a rule. I've tried fish in the pinnacle at night but it always seems to be overcooked.

If you are going to get a tenderloin / filet mignon, get the larger cut. The price is the same and you're much closer to the center of the loin. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference this makes.

Too many choices on menus in either of these restaurants. Don't do wither for just one. If can get in again... and you might easily do... go for it! And lunch in PG is also great for the PG burgers.

Canaletto.... lots of choices. One that I do like.... is the 'boneless beef rub. Melts! Just a change... it comes with Gnocchi. A bit tasteless so I ask with the rub and the sauces etc... and with some good penne. Plenty around in the galley and just ask the wait to make the change. I good dish... with wine of course.

Stephen

Pittsburgh style is searing meat for approximately 15-30 seconds on each side before serving.

All of HAL's other steaks are pre-seared before meal time. When a steak is ordered, it is cooked in the oven for the time required to meet the customer's desired doneness.

Unlike the other HAL steaks, Pittsburgh-style steaks are not pre-seared but cooked from raw meat just prior to serving to ensure that the outside is hot.

Good info.

Thanks. Many places do not have a high enough heated grill to do this. Pinnacle does a good job of this process.

Edited by aliaschief

Last Saturday I attended a birthday party held in the Bermuda Maritime Museum. The rooms at the Museum can be hired for this purpose. Perfect evening... lot of fun. Also important... Four Ways Inn did the catering. Buffet style.... and the end.... Prime Rib. I swear, the best I have ever had. PERFECT!

Prime Rib.... I wish it was available on the PG menu every evening. MDR on first night but I would rather have prime rib instead of steak... any time!