Room service procedure, specifically removal

Red Lodge

What is the correct call to make to have things removed after room service (cart, trays, dishes, etc) when finished? I positively do not want this in my cabin when finished, especially after late night meal. I had always assumed that you would call room service again for collection. On our last Princess cruise, my suite steward explained very nicely to me that it was, in fact, his job. This was after no response from room service to come for everything. BUT, since room service is 24/7, and my steward obviously has time off, this did not seem reasonable. What does HAL do? Thanks.

There is a card on the tray that tells you to call room service for pick-up, which we do. We have only ever eaten breakfast in the room, and usually leave the room shortly after finishing, so I really don't know who has taken it away ... but I have seen room service carts loaded with pick-ups in the halls many times.

edit: I do recall one time when our room steward took it to his room.

Edited by jtl513

You are asked to not place your tray in the hall, but to call room service and someone will come to pick it up. If it is late at night and you prefer to not keep the tray in your room, or don't want to wait for someone to retrieve it, take it down the hall an place it on the settee/chair by the elevators or stairs.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Or put it in the steward's service room.[/font][/size]

Good idea - although I was just relaying what our cabin steward told us. I guess I always thought the service room would be locked. Apparently not.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We used room service for breakfast three times on our last cruise (VoV).

It always arrived within five minutes of when requested.

I called room service and asked the tray to be removed when we were finished.

Since we always left the cabin afterwards I have no real idea what happened. But I assume the same person who delivered it also removed it.

What is the correct call to make to have things removed after room service (cart, trays, dishes, etc) when finished? I positively do not want this in my cabin when finished, especially after late night meal. I had always assumed that you would call room service again for collection. On our last Princess cruise, my suite steward explained very nicely to me that it was, in fact, his job. This was after no response from room service to come for everything. BUT, since room service is 24/7, and my steward obviously has time off, this did not seem reasonable. What does HAL do? Thanks.

On HAL, our tray always had a card that said to call room service for tray pickup, and gave the room service number to call.

You are asked to not place your tray in the hall, but to call room service and someone will come to pick it up.

(emphasis added) So true. It's just rude to put the tray outside.

Too many times I have come home late at night to see a tray blocking the passageway. There's not enough room to pass one when driving a scooter.

I would never leave a tray in the hall. Nor do I expect to be the one to carry it off somewhere when I have paid for the service of having meals in my room. Breakfast removal is not a problem so far because I am usually out of my cabin soon after. The real problem for me is the remnants of a late dinner.

(emphasis added) So true. It's just rude to put the tray outside.

Too many times I have come home late at night to see a tray blocking the passageway. There's not enough room to pass one when driving a scooter.

Agree with this. Leaving a tray in the hall for others to trip over is dangerous and unsanitary. Yuk.

As best I recall, we were told on our recent cruise to call for pickup and leave in the room. I called; no one came immediately. I think the steward took care of it, but it disappeared by the time we came back to the room.

Edited by HokiePoq

We have never eaten a meal in our room but we have seen trays in the hallways. I do think they get picked up very quickly though. They have never blocked our way.

I always have breakfast in my room. I'm not a morning person (trust me) and prefer to have a peaceful breakfast with no commotion and/or talking around me. When I'm ready to leave the cabin I'm more civilized:D. The breakfast menu also has a very good variety.

We use room service regularly. On our last cruise our trays were never picked up within even a couple of hours, despite calling the appropriate number. I don't condone the placing of trays outside your door, however, if it is late at night and you wish to go to bed, I can't blame people for doing it. The crew need to sharpen up on tray removal when requested.

I always have breakfast in my room. I'm not a morning person (trust me) and prefer to have a peaceful breakfast with no commotion and/or talking around me. When I'm ready to leave the cabin I'm more civilized:D. The breakfast menu also has a very good variety.

We are very early morning people. We are up and at it before the Lido is even open. Love to walk around the ship in the morning when it is still dark and quiet.

We usually open the Lido with a cup of coffee and a Danish. :)

We use room service regularly. On our last cruise our trays were never picked up within even a couple of hours, despite calling the appropriate number. I don't condone the placing of trays outside your door, however, if it is late at night and you wish to go to bed, I can't blame people for doing it. The crew need to sharpen up on tray removal when requested.

Placing the tray outside at night before you go to bed is dangerous. If there was an emergency which required passengers to report to their muster stations and the lighting was dim, people would be tripping over the tray. Even with good lighting the tray would create a bottleneck in the crowded corridor.

Not a good plan. :eek:

Placing the tray outside at night before you go to bed is dangerous. If there was an emergency which required passengers to report to their muster stations and the lighting was dim, people would be tripping over the tray. Even with good lighting the tray would create a bottleneck in the crowded corridor.

Not a good plan. :eek:

In addition to that possibility, there is also the possibility the seas could get rough, and things could go flying. No one would want to step into broken glass or plates.

Not to mention the "fun" wandering kids could have late at night! How about tossing the rolls to see how far you can pitch them? Good times? :rolleyes:

I just can't imagine placing it on the settee outside the elevators. While one might not want to deal with having it sit around the cabin, why should it be dumped in a public area for all those passing by to see the remains of your meal? Is it just me who thinks this is rather inappropriate?

I just can't imagine placing it on the settee outside the elevators. While one might not want to deal with having it sit around the cabin, why should it be dumped in a public area for all those passing by to see the remains of your meal? Is it just me who thinks this is rather inappropriate?

Agree - and not forgetting the fact that some less mobile folks might need to sit on that chair or couch for a rest. And then there is the "yuk" factor if some of the food remnants get on that seat.

If you can't get your tray removed fast enough to suit, there is a simple solution - take it to the Lido an set it on a table. It will quickly be cleared and much safer than in a hallway.

I'm not excusing bad service, just offering an alternate solution and then you can discuss the matter with whomever on board.

When we have a NS, I often return our empty cups of coffee to the Neptune Lounge. They have a spot for dirty dishes. Not because we can't get room service but because it only takes a minute. Why bother someone when I am probably going there anyways?

If I ordered late room service, I'd simply leave the tray on a table or desk and go to bed. My sleep wouldn't be disturbed by the presence of a dirty dish or two, and the tray could be dealt with in the morning by the room steward or, if I ordered breakfast, the room service steward delivering it.

Room Service is always delivered with a cloth napkin. If you have a late night snack, lay the napkin over the dish so you won't have to look at the dirty dish.

Please don't ever leave trays in the hallways or near stairs. :eek: Both are an accident waiting to happen.

I think a settee is to be sat on, not used as a dumping ground for unwanted items. Please think of your fellow passengers before doing this. Speaking of fellow passengers, putting your tray outside of your cabin gives the mice an easy meal.:p