Alaska interior cabin v. balcony

LibrarianMonroe

So my wife and I are wondering, will we be missing much if we go with an interior cabin on an Alaskan cruise? We originally thought Balcony, but we'd like to save the money if we can - and we can be on deck to watch the world go by anyway, right? Additionally, of course the balconies on the side that favors seeing land always books up right away anyway, so interior would give us more flexibility.

Cruise Critic is always good with the sage advice, so I figured I'd ask what people think.

You will get a lot of different opinions.

In the end, do what your pocketbook is telling you.

You can see lots of your voyage from being in the open deck, from inside public rooms including restaurants, from going ashore and taking excursions.

Would you possibly see a few more things with a verandah? You might but you can easily overcome that and enjoy a wonderful cruising experience by enjoying all of the scenery from other vantage points of the ship and while going ashore.

Keith

I have seen Alaska out of every type of cabin including one with a port hole. There was a time I would have said that a balcony is important but I have done a 180 on that. If you think this maybe your only trip to Alaska well...maybe a balcony. However, it you really want to take in all that Alaska you need to be out on deck or at least in lounges walk around. If sailing from Seattle you are going to have the better part of a day in either direction where you are on the west side of Vancouver Is. and aren't going to see anything then on your 3 port days you are likely going to be ashore. Throw in the incidence of cool rainy weather and very, very few people sit out on their balconies. A compromise would be an ocean view if you want some natural light in your cabin. My advice, ignore the balcony and spend the money on excursions.

Totally agree with Keith1010 and Putterdude! Our first 2 sailings to Alaska we had balconies, and our 3rd time we had an aft balcony. While they were very nice, we just didn't use them as much as we thought we would. The open decks are the best place for viewing, and Alaska is so port-intensive that you won't be actually on the ship all that much. Not sure why it took us 3 cruises to catch on to that!

We've never done an inside, so can't comment there. I think the darkness for sleeping would be great, but not sure I could get along without some kind of window.

You don't say what line you'll be on, but if it is a Celebrity M class, I'd highly recommend rooms 3112 to 3142 (I think I have those numbers right). The portholes are much larger than standard, so the view was great and the location was perfect for getting on and off the ship. We were in 3136 and I would book that area in a heartbeat. We'll probably never go back to a balcony again.

Enjoy your cruise; you'll have a wonderful time no matter what cabin you book!

I've always been a bottom feeding inside cabin person. A cabin just is not important to me. I like the cheap costs of the insides, and secretly am very happy people are willing to spend more, then me. :) This is only MY preference- which has nothing to do about money, in my case. It often gets an assumed, money, link up, which is a myth. I have no budget restrictions, go on all the tours I want and don't think twice about spending money, I want to spend. :)

There is something for everyone. Some do NOT want the confinement of an inside cabin or the "poverty" stigma that is sometimes attached. :) YES, I have encountered that attitude several times. I have seen some report, they are staying home if they don't go in a balcony.

In Alaska, a lot of the Inside Passage area has scenery on both sides.

You have to find your own way, and what you can be happy with. Only issue that matters, Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I have had everything from insides to suites in Alaska.

Honestly - when I have a balcony (which is nice, admittedly), I still spend my glacier days on deck. I have never felt left out when traveling in an inside cabin. I would rather spend money on excursions than a nicer cabin.

will we be missing much if we go with an interior cabin on an Alaskan cruise? We originally thought Balcony, but we'd like to save the money if we can - and we can be on deck to watch the world go by anyway, right? Additionally, of course the balconies on the side that favors seeing land always books up right away anyway, so interior would give us more flexibility.
Inside vs balcony? What about oceanview? Depending on the ship... some oceanview windows will be larger on one deck higher. On the Disney Wonder, you can sleep in the porthole if you are small.

I found balconies to be too windy.... I like the climate controlled environment of an oceanview room.

Edited by xlxo

I've been in interiors, oceanviews, regular balconies, and suites for cruising to Alaska. For me, the best value is an oceanview. They are often only a bit more costly than an interior. The biggest waste of money for me and my priorities was the suite. I still spend ALL my time on the outside decks :)

• 4 weeks later...

I loved having a balcony in Alaska there were multiple times that we saw dolphins and whales while in our room and literally ran outside to see them. If you plan to spend a lot of time on deck in the inside passage then you can go either way but I loved being able to taken the scenery and then pop back into my room for whatever I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

If budget is a concern, skip the balcony. Go on the deck and enjoy a full 360 degree view! It's not crowded.

Save that money for a kick-ass excursion, like dog sledding or a helicopter ride to a glacier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i would be willing to forego a balcony on a transatlantic cruise, but when there's something to see, i really do like having the balcony.

I ended up spending a lot of time out on that balcony in alaska.

Much more than i thought i would. Everyone had told me it's too cold to be out there, but i found it to be quite pleasant.

however, if budget is an issue, by all means, save the money and spend more time on deck.

Edited by alaska_planner

• 2 weeks later...
i would be willing to forego a balcony on a transatlantic cruise, but when there's something to see, i really do like having the balcony.

I ended up spending a lot of time out on that balcony in alaska.

Much more than i thought i would. Everyone had told me it's too cold to be out there, but i found it to be quite pleasant.

however, if budget is an issue, by all means, save the money and spend more time on deck.

Funny, I'm just the opposite - in Alaska, I've had an inside, OV's, and a balcony and I've enjoyed all of them just the same - simply too much to see and do to spend much time on a balcony;however, on our TA we spent a great deal of our time on our balcony - with 7 sea days we just chilled out and really enjoyed it.

A good array of responses, from people who are really well experienced. I can't compare and have never done AK. That said, perhaps my research/thought process will help

In AK, the most exotic excursions seem to book soon, so book fast. And they are expensive. If this impacts your room tradeoffs, think about it. Some people go independent, but how does that work when multiple cruise ships arrive at nearly the same time?

In AK, much of the cruise is about the views. To me, this mitigates in favor of a balcony. If you want to go observe from elsewhere, fine and dandy. Maybe it depends on how much you want to smooch while viewing mountains ; )

I have found that on a Nward trip, the right/starboard side of the ship books much faster. And reverse on the reverse. So at least some people prioritize one side over another.

Only you can put a price on the outcomes and expected results. But if you go with any view, I'd go on the side facing inland. And if on an inner cabin, great. You seem to have the spirit to get out and about. Good luck with your decision!

You don't say what line you'll be on, but if it is a Celebrity M class, I'd highly recommend rooms 3112 to 3142 (I think I have those numbers right). The portholes are much larger than standard, so the view was great and the location was perfect for getting on and off the ship. We were in 3136 and I would book that area in a heartbeat. We'll probably never go back to a balcony again.

Enjoy your cruise; you'll have a wonderful time no matter what cabin you book!

I am super happy to see this! I booked 3114 for Alaska only because my Fiance has never been on a cruise before and I wanted him to be able to see from the cabin. They have a 5 foot round window to look out, with no walkways outside, so we can keep the drapes open as much as we want without the fear of looky-loos outside;). The verandas were going to be an additional $1000 over the inside cabin for the 5 day cruise, and I felt that the money would be better spent at the ports of call. The OV in this area were only about $200 more than the inside cabin would have been for the entire cruise.

.....I ended up spending a lot of time out on that balcony in alaska.

We feel the same way. No one right or wrong answer - It is such an individual decision to suit different priorities and temperaments and budgets.

When we were younger and more energetic, we spent more time out on the public decks. We would wake up, get dressed and go rushing out there.

But now we enjoy having a balcony more and more with each cruse, especially for Alaska.

We really like watching the changing scenery right there outside our cabin, at any hour of the day or night, in privacy without needing to go anywhere else and with no concern about how we are dressed or groomed.

I just slip on a bathrobe and step outside without even needing to comb my hair.

Remember that you get many more hours of daylight for scenic viewing in Alaska (if you go early or mid-season) than on many other itineraries.

We love sitting out on our balcony enjoying room service breakfast, drinks and snacks.

We always try to get a covered balcony so we can enjoy it even if it is raining. It makes it so convenient for adding or removing layers as needed, and we always keep deck blankets and binoculars close at hand.

Also, it is especially nice having everything we may want or need right there near us, without needing to carry it all around the ship with us or go rushing back to the cabin for something we forgot.

Even when we are just sitting inside or lying in bed looking out through those double glass doors, it is easy to slide open the door to step out and take photos whenever a scenic view comes into sight.

In Alaska, we sometimes spot wildlife right below our balcony.

Then there are those wonderful views of the stars and the moon glow on the water if we wake up in the middle of the night during those brief hours of darkness.

Would we still enjoy an Alaska cruise without a balcony?

The answer for us would be yes, but it would not be as enjoyable and relaxing for us as with one.

Edited by varoo

First ever cruise - booked a balcony based on other's advice - got upgraded to a suite :) Had huge aft balcony and sweeping views as we were on the top deck. This was the 25th wedding anniversary cruise w/o the kids

Second cruise to AK balcony room for us - took the kids in an inside down the hall. Idea was we could all spend time together in the balcony cabin. Instead spent more time elsewhere trying to entertain the kids.

Third AK cruise - taking MIL decided that a suite would be cost effective over a balcony and an inside with the single supplement - got another of the large top deck aft balconies even with the weather, we enjoyed being able to have our morning coffee on the balcony - and it was also nice on Glacier Bay day as we decided to have breakfast in the suite and spent a very enjoyable morning listening to the rangers narrate the passage in and we went to the show in the theatre on the way out. We did see lots of wildlife from our balcony - I also like to listen to the wake of the ship.

I suppose the best compromise is an ocean view cabin so you can see.

I do what I do because it is what I like - and I don't take more than one cruise every few years (02,03,06,12 and the next is in 16) so I tend to splurge. I have also found that with my MIL coming along the suite treatment is the only way to go. Our next cruise will be in a 2bdrm suite - we are spending 14 days together - need the space:)

I am super happy to see this! I booked 3114 for Alaska only because my Fiance has never been on a cruise before and I wanted him to be able to see from the cabin. They have a 5 foot round window to look out, with no walkways outside, so we can keep the drapes open as much as we want without the fear of looky-loos outside;). The verandas were going to be an additional $1000 over the inside cabin for the 5 day cruise, and I felt that the money would be better spent at the ports of call. The OV in this area were only about $200 more than the inside cabin would have been for the entire cruise.

Auntie Sasa - we booked 3114 also for our Alaskan cruise. Let us know what you think of the room - we don't cruise until September of 2016 - but we did our research and we are looking forward to the big window without the balcony pricing. (also looking forward to being low, midship for my motion sickness tendencies. :) )

When do you go?

We have changed our approach to cabin selection on our Alaska cruises, too.

Normally when we cruise, we want a balcony cabin with as much space as we can get, but when we go to Alaska, we're there for the land touring and the cruise is secondary. In fact, we think of it as transportation down the coast.

I had an unpleasant cruise in a tiny inside cabin years ago and won't risk it again, but what works for us is booking early enough to get the least expensive obstructed view cabin with easy access to the promenade deck. These cabins at least let in some light and we are just steps away from the largest balcony on the ship.

Don't get me wrong....if we could get a nice balcony cabin at a great rate, we'd grab it, but $1,000 extra isn't worth it to us for a cruise we've taken many times. That money will pay for our car rental or will cover several excursions or will cover a couple of extra days at Denali.

Funny thing, traveling in the "cheap seats" doesn't make me feel cheap....it makes me feel like a good shopper.

Auntie Sasa - we booked 3114 also for our Alaskan cruise. Let us know what you think of the room - we don't cruise until September of 2016 - but we did our research and we are looking forward to the big window without the balcony pricing. (also looking forward to being low, midship for my motion sickness tendencies. :) )

When do you go?

Our cruise isn't until May of 2017! Please let me know what you think! Hide a little something in the cabin for us! Lol

Our cruise isn't until May of 2017! Please let me know what you think! Hide a little something in the cabin for us! Lol

I hope to post some pictures after our cruise. :) Not sure how well I can hide anything, but I will let you know! I am really looking forward to this cruise.