Cabo San Lucas post huricane

myrvhome

From what I have been reading it sounds like Cabo San Lucas is pretty much destroyed!

I was thinking of going on a western coastal Mexican cruise from LA this fall but no cruise line, including Carnival, seems to be talking about modified ports of call, or for that matter any contingency options if we book and Cabo is closed to port traffic, anyone heard anything?

I know I wont even think of booking anything on any cruise line until they address this issue.

I am on the first Mexican Rivera cruise of the season on October 4. None of us on the roll call believe we are going to Cabo but as of now Carnival still says we are. Hopefully in the next week we should know. Fingers crossed for Mazatlan if Cabo is a no go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

La Pax would be nice substitution. Never been there. We were on a ship that was the first ship allowed to go to Grand Cayman after a hurricane hit the island. It was sad. Not a single leaf on any tree. I hope Cabo recovers soon. The locals depend on the tourist trade.

La Pax would be nice substitution. Never been there. We were on a ship that was the first ship allowed to go to Grand Cayman after a hurricane hit the island. It was sad. Not a single leaf on any tree. I hope Cabo recovers soon. The locals depend on the tourist trade.

Didnt La Paz get hit pretty hard to? Enough for it to not be an option.

From what I have been reading it sounds like Cabo San Lucas is pretty much destroyed!

I was thinking of going on a western coastal Mexican cruise from LA this fall but no cruise line, including Carnival, seems to be talking about modified ports of call, or for that matter any contingency options if we book and Cabo is closed to port traffic, anyone heard anything?

I know I wont even think of booking anything on any cruise line until they address this issue.

Did that famous arch survive?

Likely Carnival will still sail, but on a case by case basis will decide when it is safe to call in the ports affected. I was on a cruise that called in Grand Turk after a hurricane hit there, and we were the first ship to call there after the hurricane. Carnival had crew members leave the ship and pitch in to clean up the debris, and some passengers pitched in too. But Carnival made sure that it was safe to call there before doing so. So safety will be their first priority, and once that is determined, then Carnival may help out during port calls. When we visited Grand Turk that time, there were still some broken windows in the cruise center and the flow rider was closed, but it was still enjoyable to use the beach. The locals are very dependent on tourists for their livelihood, so Carnival takes that into consideration too. I think some passengers feel that they are doing the "right" thing to do their part by sticking with their plans to take their cruise and help out by at least spending some money in the port to help the locals. For all the bad press that Carnival gets, this is one example of how they really do try to be good "neighbors" and help out when they can.

Right now all I hear is Walmart, Costco, Sam's, and Home Depot have all been looted, and all kind of hoodlums are doing home invasions

Downtown has been trashed, and Marshall Law has been invoked.

I have a co worker who has family that lives there. According to what they have told him what you just repeated is the line the media types which is over exaggerated. A few homes have been broken in to but no more then usual and there is not rampant looting in the streets.

The stories of looting come from the businesses opening the doors for the most part for people come and take necessities. Some took that to mean lets get a new television. Not the intended purpose but it is not looting like we see in the US.

I would be more concealed about water and food safety adrd opposed to people running wild in the street.

I have a co worker who has family that lives there. According to what they have told him what you just repeated is the line the media types which is over exaggerated. A few homes have been broken in to but no more then usual and there is not rampant looting in the streets.

The stories of looting come from the businesses opening the doors for the most part for people come and take necessities. Some took that to mean lets get a new television. Not the intended purpose but it is not looting like we see in the US.

I would be more concealed about water and food safety adrd opposed to people running wild in the street.

I actually didn't hear this through the media. I heard this from two friends who refuse to leave.

In 40 days I'll be boarding the Grand Princess for a ten day Mexican Riviera cruise to Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, La Paz and Puerto Vallarta. I wonder where we'll end up. I feel so bad for that part of Mexico. :(

I know Princess changed their pretty of call for their Panama Canal cruise to PV instead of Cabo. In 40 you may be good since the airport and allot of resorts are scheduled to be open by then.

It will be bypassed for the next few weeks. The devastation is bad and the army has no been called out to restore order, evacuate those who need it and help reestablish infrastructure.

There has been quite a bit of looting and a "few" home invasions. I wouldn't travel there for a couple of months.

This is the Costco in Cabo San Lucas:

Saqueos_Los_Cabos5_principal.jpg

cabo7.jpg

Take care,

Mike

Right now all I hear is Walmart, Costco, Sam's, and Home Depot have all been looted, and all kind of hoodlums are doing home invasions

Downtown has been trashed, and Marshall Law has been invoked.

Sounds like New Orleans after Katrina . Why does a disaster bring out the thugs?

We are sailing from San Francisco on October 1. :eek: Ports are Cabo, LaPaz, Loreto and PV. Princess still hasn't made a decision on our itinerary. Shore Excursions are still available for bookings. :rolleyes: It is a bit frustrating to say the least.

I wish we could deliver supplies to Cabo and then head to PV for 3 days. :D

Cheers, Denise

We are sailing from San Francisco on October 1. :eek: Ports are Cabo, LaPaz, Loreto and PV. Princess still hasn't made a decision on our itinerary. Shore Excursions are still available for bookings. :rolleyes: It is a bit frustrating to say the least.

I wish we could deliver supplies to Cabo and then head to PV for 3 days. :D

Cheers, Denise

Looks like Princess doesnot know yet if they can use those ports by then. As far as I hear also La Paz had many problems. I donot know about Loreto.

Cabo has major problems, many hotels are closed for renovations and plan to reopen in 2 months. So I really doubt that you will visit Cabo.

There have been reports of stores opening their doors and giving people 5 min to grab what they can. That helps. My favorite pic was of the young kid looting and carrying 3 18 packs of beer right past the Mexican Army officer.

We are on the Oct 20th sailing and will wait and see what the results are. We have been on a Sea of Cortez sailing and enjoyed it so much we booked this one. Sure hope we can get to Loredo and La Paz. Seems Cabo got hit worse than those 2 did.

If itinerary changes I would cancel if this cruise does any overnight stay at anyport. I cruise to cruise, not sit. It seems that it would be to the cruiselines advantage to be at sea where pax drink, gamble, and purchase all the over priced store junk.

Aloha, Tim

We're on the 10/11 and I'm hoping for Mazatlan instead as well. I just think it'd be heartbreaking to be in the devastation, and more storms keep coming. I know, tis the season, but it's way worse this year.

We are on this sailing as well. I keep checking the Carnival website for news and nothing yet. :(