Absolutely Awful Ideas for a Meet & Greet?

POA1

Let me start by saying that this is not a swipe at the OP of the other meet up thread. I'd be willing to bet that she was expecting a much better reaction to her post than she got.

Moving on to business - Please post your humorous suggestions for really bad meet & greet activities. Be creative. Have fun. Try to think of something cringe worthy that could lead to hurt feelings, smoldering resentment, and possibly fisticuffs. Your activity can be simple or it can be complex. As long as it it's funny, it's fair play.

I know that this is only vaguely related to cruising on Holland America and that some people will consider it a stupid topic. I'm okay with that. I just thought it might be a fun distraction from the summer doldrums.

How about a best liar meet and greet?

"Hi, my names Tom and I am the CEO of Microsoft"

or,

"Oh yes, Hillary and Bill are our next door neighbors in New York."

or

"Remember that shark from Jaws? Well, that's what I use for bate when I go deep sea fishing"

or,

"I was Sully's flight instructor. He owes it all to me!"

Edited by HamOp

Thanks. I'm leaning towards an event that involves a pre cruise weigh in at the Meet & Greet, and a meet up at the end of the trip, also involving a scale. I'm thinking Meet & Greet, then an Eat & Eat. Finally a Sigh & Bye with final weigh in.

Let me start by saying that this is not a swipe at the OP of the other meet up thread. I'd be willing to bet that she was expecting a much better reaction to her post than she got.

Moving on to business - Please post your humorous suggestions for really bad meet & greet activities. Be creative. Have fun. Try to think of something cringe worthy that could lead to hurt feelings, smoldering resentment, and possibly fisticuffs. Your activity can be simple or it can be complex. As long as it it's funny, it's fair play.

I know that this is only vaguely related to cruising on Holland America and that some people will consider it a stupid topic. I'm okay with that. I just thought it might be a fun distraction from the summer doldrums.

Never conduct a Meet & Greet with snacks during rough seas. The snacks end up on the floor and the attendees will not be in a good mood.

Name tags .... MY NAME IS .... AND I PAID THIS MUCH £... FOR MY CRUISE

^THIS but with the addition of a cabin type and number.

Nametags that indicate name, political leanings, religious preference, and gross yearly income.

Commit to Excellence Meet & Greet - Go around the room and help each person to improve themselves by pointing out what's wrong with them: hair, clothes, makeup, shoes, etc. Keep the self improvement going by committing to find one thing to verbally criticize your fellow CCers about each time you see them throughout the trip.

Probably a great time to set up teams - the fashion police, the food police, maintenance police to find that threadbare rug and of course, the experts policing everything :).

Probably a great time to set up teams - the fashion police, the food police, maintenance police to find that threadbare rug and of course, the experts policing everything :).

LOL....... :D I like this suggestion!! :)

Commit to Excellence Meet & Greet - Go around the room and help each person to improve themselves by pointing out what's wrong with them: hair, clothes, makeup, shoes, etc. Keep the self improvement going by committing to find one thing to verbally criticize your fellow CCers about each time you see them throughout the trip.

THIS is a fabulous idea. The same thing we do online except in person!

DW laughed out loud at this one. That's commendable. She's a tough audience.

POA - I have absolutely nothing to add but would like to say that over the past few months your posts have been hilarious! What a breath of fresh air you've been to the HAL boards. :)

Thanks. I try. If you can't have fun discussing a cruise vacation, you probably can't have fun at all. :D

And now for something completely different . . .

bring a mechanical bull to the Meet & Greet. The person who stays on the shortest amount of time (8 second minimum, to be repeated if you don't make the minimum time) has to keep the bull in their cabin for the duration of the cruise. No cheating by putting it out in the hallway, either.

Or, you could have scooter races in the Crow's Nest including a special slalom section around the passengers not involved in your Meet & Greet.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Because everyone at a Meet & Greet is probably Cruise Critic members, how about creating discussion groups with topics like:

- Chair hogs - hints on how to ensure holding onto that prize deck chair so it's waiting for you after breakfast, lunch and/or upon your return from a shorex

- Toddlers in pools - How to respond to nasty comments when your 3 yo jumps in the pool.

- Smoking - Ideal non-smoking venues to smoke on board and not get caught.

- Formal night - Ideas on how to make that T shirt and jeans combo look right in the dining room.

- Booze smuggling - Successful techniques for getting your booze on board.

- Tipping - How to determine if the steward, waiter, etc. really is counting on your tip money to keep his starving family alive.

Each discussion group will report back to the M&G with consensus reports.

Here are some "Ice Breaker" name-tags I found.

Kit includes 13 sheets of peel-and-stick ice-breaker name tags, two Sharpie® pens, and a small, vinyl, vertical registration envelope

The eight ice-breaker name tags all say "Hello" and include these messages:

"my favorite famous person is"

"if I had a million dollars, I would"

"my obsession is"

"if my life was a movie, it would be"

"I never have enough time to"

"my life's theme song would be"

"if I had a factory, I would make"

"sometimes I wish I could"

http://www.pcnametag.com/ice-breaker-name-tag-kit