Is Avalon a good choice?

puzzums

Hello,

My travel agent is enticing me to join a group he's leading for a 13-day Mekong River cruise on the brand new Avalon Siem Reap river boat. When I hear about river cruising (never done one) I always hear Viking come up. Is Avalon a quality company comparable to the good things I hear about Viking?

Also, does anyone know what kind of temperatures and typical weather to expect in that area in January?

Thanks!

I can't speak about Avalon on the Mekong, but we did a trip with Avalon on the Rhine 3 years ago and loved it. The rooms were very nicely appointed and the bathroom was just lovely. We found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. The ship was very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. We would not hesitate to take another cruise with Avalon.

We have cruised with Avalon 3x previously on the European Rivers and have our 4th cruise planned with them for the Christmas markets in December this year. Have always been satisfied with service, food and ships. Keeps us coming back.

Cannot speak about the Mekong River cruises.

Avalon is a great company, wonderful staff and beautiful ships. Cannot speak about this particular cruise, but don't think you will be disappointed. And, it may be your first river cruise, but would bet it won't be the last.

Cole

We did an Avalon river cruise down the Danube from Prague to Budapest (absolutely loved both cities and want to go back). Everything was top-notch. The only thing my DH was disappointed with was the lack of evening entertainment. He's used to the big cruise ships. It didn't bother me because by the time we took tours every day I was ready for bed by 9:00 p.m.

You won't be disappointed.

From what many people I know who have been on both Avalon and Viking have told me, and from what I have experienced, Viking is the Carnival equivalent in river cruising. It's a good basic product but not quite as nice as Avalon.

How about if you ask "peterdkiwi"to send you the daily little newspapers from Avalon? You can read them and get an idea if Avalon will suit you. He sent them to me and it really helped with the planning and also gave me a sense of what it'll be like. It might help you too.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I did Avalon for my first river cruise Basel to Amsterdam. I loved it. Avalon is a very professional company. Everything was top notch. The food was wonderful, staff was very helpful & we were very happy with the included tours.

I have done numerous EU river cruises by not Asia. If Asia is anything like the European ones, you will NOT be disappointed. Viking is definitely the Carnival of river cruising. They do tons of advertising too: TV, mailings, emails. That is why you hear about them more - similar to Sandals for all-inclusive Caribbean trips. Happy cruising!!!! LOVE river cruising!!!

We did our first Avalon cruise last year in Europe and we will be going back again this year. As a Canadian you will enjoy the mix of passengers. Last year our river cruise turned into a bus trip due to a broken lock. Avalon treated us well which is the only reason we're going back with them again. Relatives travelling on Viking did not have the same experience and were not treated well when they had problems.

Viking has name recognition because they are very big and have a lot of boats, which doesn't necessarily translate into a quality experience, I've read several good and bad things about them.

Avalon is owned by Globus. We were on two Avalon cruises and very pleased with both. The ships are very well run and the excursions all excellent. It also has been reported by others that Avalon responds very well to problems with the river.

Avalon is owned by Globus. We were on two Avalon cruises and very pleased with both. The ships are very well run and the excursions all excellent. It also has been reported by others that Avalon responds very well to problems with the river.

The Mekong does not have the high and low water issues that are problematic in Europe.

Viking would be my last choice personally no matter where they travel.

puzzums, which Avalon Mekong are you doing in January? We just booked the 1/15/16 Avalon, Fantastic Vietnam, Cambodia, Mekong and Ha Long Bay from Hanoi to Siem Reap. this will be our first time with Avalon, have done 6 river cruises with Viking and loved them but we like the small new Avalon ship and small group size.

I totally disagree that Viking is the Carnival of river cruises, they've always done a very good and satisfying job as far as we're concerned and we've enjoyed everyone of our travels with them. As a matter of fact we're booked on Viking Grand European this May.

Don't let anyone dissuade you if you think Viking is a good fit for you. Same thing for Avalon, AMA, Vantage, etc. go with what you feel will work best for you.

Enjoy your travels.

• 2 months later...

I know there are many on these River Cruise Boards who have been very happy with Viking. To each their own. I have been reading and following the CC Boards for many years and cruised 3x previously with Avalon and have our 4th this year. IMO there have been many more posts complaining about Customer Service and water level resolution issues with Viking then Avalon, AMA or any of the big name players in the River Cruising industry.

Bigger is not always better and Viking does a huge Marketing on many popular TV networks.

Newcomers to the idea of river cruising are very attracted to the public mass marketing that Viking spends big bucks.

In trying to pick your River cruise line, look at what is offered by each and do read many of the reviews.

Only on 1 of our river cruises was there a water level issue and it was handled marvelously by Avalon. We were switched from the new Panorama ship to one of their older Tapestry river boats that could more easily navigate low water. Our cruise remained a River cruise and not a bus trip. As we cruised, there were numerous Viking riverboats docked that had been turned into bus trips.

The boards were swamped with Viking Customer Service complaints.

A Mekong River cruise will not have these type of water issues but good customer service is important wherever you travel.

I personally have never nor would I cruise Carnival and same applies to Viking.

I would love to try AMA as I think they would be equally as good and for many better. But.... Hard to pass up the Globus past passenger discount from Avalon when comparing pricing for same itineraries.

The Mekong does not have the high and low water issues that are problematic in Europe.

Viking would be my last choice personally no matter where they travel.

Tonle Sap Lake however does have low water problems so it is worth reading the itinerary to figure out if that is a factor for the OP, if the trip is in January though it is less likely to be an issue.

I've sure we all have our reasons for our cruise line preferences and we had an excellent trip with them in China last year so had no hesitation in booking with them for the Mekong as well.

Based on what I've read on this forum over the past five months, I'd be much more likely to book Avalon than Viking. Had we not gotten a great deal on Uniworld, we would have booked Avalon for our Rhine cruise.

OP, just read the board about both lines. You'll see how Avalon immediately addressed high water issues this season and also with their ship that blew an engine. See how these typical river situations are handled. Yes, you may not deal with that in Asia, but it gives you a clue as to how a company is run.

Ask yourself: are they up front with their communication? Do they work for YOU, the passenger or are they more concerned with THEM? You'll be able to make a good choice for yourself after doing a little reading. ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Totally agree Mario. Back in 2011, I was notified the day I was packing to fly to Europe for my Avalon cruise by my TA of the water situation and Avalon's plan to continue with cruise as scheduled but on a different riverboat in their fleet. I could cancel and be refunded my money or stay with cruise on older ship and be compensated financially.

Chose the latter and had a awesome cruise on the Danube with Avalon with no regrets.

I personally think their service is outstanding. I have referred others to Avalon and they too have been satisfied.

Do your research always in choosing what is best for you.

I think the comments above make it very clear, AVALON is very very good.

Having used them once, we could not even consider using another company for our 2nd cruise. Avalon delivered again (even with issues on the river that stopped all Viking boats for 2 or 3 days)

We will continue to us Avalon on all future river cruises, just have to fine the time.

When I hear about river cruising (never done one) I always hear Viking come up. Is Avalon a quality company comparable to the good things I hear about Viking?

You have inadvertently triggered the all to0 common anti-Viking reaction, often from those who have never set foot on a Viking cruise :)

I know that wasn't your intention, so just take it from someone who has traveled with Viking and has booked for a 2nd trip with them, down the Mekong as it happens, that I would not expect you to have any problems with Avalon based on what I've read.

Also, does anyone know what kind of temperatures and typical weather to expect in that area in January?
You will be in the early part of the dry season but not likely to see much effect from that even on the lake. Temperatures will be warm, but nothing like the summer months so expect to want to find shade midday but nothing intolerable.

We ended up booking in February, not because it was preferable to January, just because we didn't want to be away too close to Christmas.

Edited by Mark_T

I have taken the Mekong River cruise although not on Avalon. I beg to differ with Mark regarding the temperature. It will be hot, hot, not warm and very humid. If the Tonle Sap Lake is low (as Mark said Jan. is the beginning of the dry season) you will not be able to cruise that portion. Rather, you will be bussed 4 hours between Pnom Phen and Siem Riep. There are varying opinions on this board as to whether the bus trip was boring. If you do a search, you can read others' experiences.

I have taken the Mekong River cruise although not on Avalon. I beg to differ with Mark regarding the temperature. It will be hot, hot, not warm and very humid.

As ever opinions on what is 'hot' will differ.

I spend much of my time in Dallas where 'hot' tends to mean over 100F.

Cambodia in January will be in the mid-80's generally which I will concede some may describe as hot, for me it is warm :)

I have traveled with both - would travel with both again. (Leaving tomorrow for the Elbe with Viking - looking at the Rhine with Avalon for a future cruise....)

One benefit with Avalon is the ability to purchase in CDN dollars - something that is quite important right now with the CDN $ being low.

Also - you won't have to pay "now" when you book with Avalon.

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

It looks like Avalon has lots of satisfied customers. We used Avalon last year Basel to Amsterdam after doing Normandy with Uniworld the previous year.

We were unhappy with Avalon and would not use them again. We've just booked another Uniworld cruise.

It seemed to us there was a higher level of service in many respects for Uniworld both on the ship and on their local guides. The food is not a main point of contention for us as we're easily pleased but there was an obvious difference in the food served.

I think many are happy with Viking because they know no comparisons.

Different strokes for different folks.

Nice to have choices.