Getting diamonds reset -- would you share your experience please?

CowPrincess

I have several diamonds that I want to get reset. They are all from heirloom-type pieces that I don't wear :( so I have decided to reuse them in something I will wear. Not yet sure what that's going to be. Earrings and two rings from my grandmother, my mother's engagement and wedding rings, and a few assorted rings that were my mom's.

If you have had something similar done, were you glad you did it? Or did you regret taking the diamonds out of their original settings to reuse them? Did you feel any attachment to the diamonds once they were reset? I look at these items as they exist now, and remember my grandmother and mother wearing them. Yet to be honest, I only EVER see them when I open the jewelry box where they are stored, which happens maybe twice a year. I have no children to give them to; "the buck stops here" :)

Would appreciate any input you'd like to offer.

I think you are doing the right thing to redesign these rings into something you will wear and use. I really believe the sentimental value will still be there, plus you will be reminded of the diamonds' original owners every time you use the redesigned pieces. That's so much better than just letting them sit unused and forgotten, tucked away somewhere.

Jewelry styles change so fast. Do something more contemporary, more to your taste and get regular use out of them. That makes sense to me.

Go to a local jewelry designer & discuss your style & let them design a piece or two that you will wear. The process should take a couple of weeks at least. Please don't do it in a few hours on s cruise. Your heirloom pieces deserve a chance to live again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband gave me his deceased father's ring to have the diamond reset for me to wear. I went to a local jeweler that I trust and ordered a setting from a catalog. When it came in, I brought the old ring in for the setting to be done while I waited. The old ring wasn't being worn at all, so I'm glad we did this. The only things I hold attachments to are photos...the rest is just stuff.

Before my mother died, she wanted me to have the stone from her engagement ring set into a pendant. I told her that I'd only do it when she was done wearing the ring.

I did, and it always makes me think of her when I wear it.

I was her only surviving child, so I got all of her jewelry. I kept the pieces I liked, let my DD and DDIL pick some for themselves.

Then I gave pieces to relatives and my friends who knew her, which seemed to really touch them, and it brings me joy to see them wearing those pieces. It was a pleasure for me to pick things out for each person that I thought suited them, and I loved it when one friend said, "These are so me!".

I had my husbands aunts earrings set into pendant and I wear it every day. Had my mother in laws engagement ring made into a pendant to give our daughter in law the day she had our first grandson and my moms ring set into a pendant and will give it to our daughter next week when she has our first granddaughter!! Love using family heirlooms!!

I inherited my grandmother's ruby & diamond engagement and wedding rings. These were from WWI and were modest rings, but of great sentimental value. For my 18th birthday my mom had the stones set into a cocktail ring that I've worn many, many times. I never would have worn the rings in the original settings, and like others have said - it's better to enjoy what we have rather than leave the items in the jewellery box.

I have a few rings I'd like to have new stones set in but haven't gotten around to it yet. For high school graduation, my mom gave me her grandmother's garnet earrings (slightly redone - new backs) that she had been given when she graduated high school, along with a pendant she'd had made with more garnets and the diamond from her engagement ring from my biological father (she'd remarried years since). I love the pieces, esp for the sentimentality, but don't wear often because they're yellow gold and I wear silver or platinum 95% of the time.

The OP never mentioned doing this sort of thing on a cruise in her original post, so I agree with the others who say you should do this with a jeweler close to home:D

I definitely think it a great idea to reset diamond or any gemstones so that you can enjoy them. What is the sense of owning things that could be enjoyed if put into a different style or form.

However, it is not unheard of for unscrupulous jewelers to replace good quality stones with either CZ or lower quality so be very careful who you trust with your sentimental diamonds. Sadly, I have seen examples of a very fine stone being replaced by one that was same size and shape but not as good color and cut.

If you do reset the items you could take the old setting and put other gem stones in the settings.

When I read this, I thought "Oh wow, what a great idea!" Then on sober second thought, I realized I haven't worn them yet. Chances are good I'd never wear them with different stones, either.

If you have the gold and the diamonds have a unique piece made by having the gold melted down and used too. It can be really nice if there are different colours of gold involved.

Cheers, h

Sent from the nether world using magic

I did some googling about this a few months ago. It sounds as though it may or may not be possible. I have a load of gold I'd love to re-use, enough to make a 2 1/2" wide bangle probably.... my initial thought was a really wide bangle with the diamonds in it. Did you have that done locally?

I'm sorry if I misled anyone into thinking I was having this done on a cruise. Heck no ;) I have a relationship of trust with a wonderful jeweller; I would be using her to do this.

Thanks for all the feedback! When I get it done (whatever "it" turns out to be) I'll post a pic. Really thinking about a bracelet. Use the little diamonds as pavè (incorrect accent :( ) and the big ones as highlights. I know my jeweller will have some great thoughts.

Yes, It was a local independant jeweler that was used.

Take your rings in and have them come up with a few designs using everything. If there is gold left over have a small pair of studs made.

If you have an aptitude towards design you could come up with you own design and ask if they can reproduce it.

This costs way more than just getting a new mass produced setting, but can be unique and stunning.

Cheers, h.

I have several diamonds that I want to get reset. They are all from heirloom-type pieces that I don't wear :( so I have decided to reuse them in something I will wear. Not yet sure what that's going to be. Earrings and two rings from my grandmother, my mother's engagement and wedding rings, and a few assorted rings that were my mom's.

If you have had something similar done, were you glad you did it? Or did you regret taking the diamonds out of their original settings to reuse them? Did you feel any attachment to the diamonds once they were reset? I look at these items as they exist now, and remember my grandmother and mother wearing them. Yet to be honest, I only EVER see them when I open the jewelry box where they are stored, which happens maybe twice a year. I have no children to give them to; "the buck stops here" :)

Would appreciate any input you'd like to offer.

I had my engagement ring & wedding band reset about 6 years ago, no regrets at all. My set was very circa 1985 :D & I was ready for something a little simpler, I had my large round stone set in the middle with two marquis on either side set into a simple platinum band, I love it!

What led up to this, was one night, after showering & putting on pj's, I sat down to watch tv with DH, grabbed my lotion to lotion up my hands & feet, & discovered a stone was missing from my engagement ring! I was devastated, but back tracked & found it in a corner of the bathroom, lucky it hadn't gone down the drain :eek:

edited to add: I still feel "attached" to the stones, as I know my DH put alot of time, care & research into choosing them,

So, I would say, get them reset, & enjoy them. Be sentimental about memories, not objects. :D

Edited by cruise kitty

I have both my mother's and grandmother's diamonds. For years, I wore my grandmother's ring and then the shank broke. I had the diamond reset and sold the platinum setting. I wear the reset ring every day.

Last year I had my mother's diamond reset into a more modern setting. I get so many compliments on the ring. What's the point of having the diamonds if you are only keeping it in a jewelry box. Reset the stones into pieces you will wear. As others have said, when I wear my rings, I think of the people who gave these to me and like to think they would be pleased that I'm enjoying the new jewelry.

Cruise Kitty said:

Be sentimental about memories, not objects.

Great point! Thank you :D I ended up being the custodian for all my parents' and grandparents' stuff .... took me years to get my head around the idea that the antique carving set was NOT my grandfather; it was just a knife, fork and whetstone in an old case. That the salt & pepper shakers were NOT my mother. Etc etc etc. It was liberating :) I am now at that point with this jewelry, or I would not even be thinking about doing it. This has taken me a long time, to finally say "I want to enjoy what I can from these things" and not feel I am somehow being disrespectful to their original owners. :D

Thanks again for the reminder!

Edited by CowPrincess