All Open Seating in MDR (no "Fixed")

SilvertoGold

Since recently I have booked late, we get the Open Seating. It works out well for us as we eat early at a table for two. We have found after the first couple of nights, the stewards we have ask us to request their table so it has become almost like fixed seating. And the service has been fast for us. Tables for two seem to be served quicker from my observations. Personally, I think there still should be both Open and Fixed and I can't figure why Open would be cheaper. I have noticed on the past couple of Open Seatings, there is additional staff from the normal two - I call them runners as they bring out the main courses while the two stewards are attending to the tables. They also bring out the glasses of wine and the alcohol drinks.

This would be the end of my cruising. Sorry ... I do not dine with anyone but DH. I'm on vacation and have absolutely no desire to "chit chat" during dinner. I want my fixed time table for 2. My DH does not stand in line for dining. (Something about doing that too many years in the Navy.) Unless we decided to pay up the $$$ for Pinnacle reservations each evening, I would just switch to land based vacations. And considering how awful our dinner (not breakfast) experience was in the Pinnacle we won't be going there again.

Oh - I hope this is a wild rumor.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Since we pre-book the specialty restaurants, we know exactly what nights we will not be in the main dining room.

We always tell our wait staff as we are finishing dinner that we won't be eating in there as we have reservations elsewhere. This way they know in advance.

How does that work for you when you get back late from a shore excursion? Or maybe you went for afternoon tea and don't feel like eating dinner? Do you never do anything impulsive - like maybe decide to use the Lido buffet instead? I detect a note of criticism in your response, but we don't all do the same thing.:rolleyes:

They have two seatings in the Fixed..... early and traditional main.

Not sure how "turning around the tables in Open twice each night" different than two seatings of Fixed.

Two turn-arounds makes three sittings: 5:15>6:30ish, turn, 6:30ish>8:00ish, turn, 8:00 on. Same number of stewards serving 50% more people than two sittings.

Edited by jtl513

The fact that fixed dining is often not available unless you book the cruise well in advance indicates that it is still very popular among HAL regulars. I imagine they could squeeze more work out of the stewards if it was all open - and I'm sure they could cut staff even further if they switched to cafeteria style dining - and could save laundry staff by doing away with table cloths.

But if I have to show up for dinner at inconvenient times to avoid having to stand in line to wait for a table, and will no longer have stewards who come to know my preferences, I may have to consider other options. Who needs another NCL?

The fact that fixed dining is often not available unless you book the cruise well in advance indicates that it is still very popular among HAL regulars. I imagine they could squeeze more work out of the stewards if it was all open - and I'm sure they could cut staff even further if they switched to cafeteria style dining - and could save laundry staff by doing away with table cloths.

But if I have to show up for dinner at inconvenient times to avoid having to stand in line to wait for a table, and will no longer have stewards who come to know my preferences, I may have to consider other options. Who needs another NCL?

Didn't Carnival do away with table cloths?

Hi TUA,

>Cannot see using significantly fewer stewards as they same number of people will need to be seated and fed.

It's a matter of demand.

With fixed dining you have a high point, where all of your staff are used, a slump where no one is dining and then a high demand.

With open seating the demand is more evenly distributed.

Ira

My husband and I like traditional dining. Unfortunately, on our last few HAL cruises, we have been forced into the "Not As You Wish" open dining (even when booking a year out).

We found the open dining to be extremely slow and, of course, the waiter was unfamiliar with our likes and dislikes which affected the enjoyment of the meal.

We ended up eating in the Lido on many nights.

As a result, we have more on to a cruise line that makes traditional dining available to those who want it by adding another dining room or section of dining room to the traditional seatings. The food and service is superb.

As a matter of fact, at dinner last week on our cruise, the people on our table (also HAL cruisers in the past)ended up discussing that as the cruiseline that we were on and HAL targeted the same demographic cruiser, if Carnival Corp was slowly down classing HAL to avoid competition between the two lines.

We discussed all the changes that has been made in HAL over the last few years and the conclusion was yes, HAL is being used as a bridge between Carnival and the line we were on.

A sad conclusion, but maybe it makes business sense.

I am sure HAL has done studies on flow in the MDR, demand for fixed, or open seating, cost, and a number of other things if they make this change. Included in these studies I am sure are things like demand for two tops, and how long people actually take eating, which may lead to the conclusion they can do three complete uses of most, if not all tables. I know, for example, we rarely sit to eat much longer than 75 minutes, so tying up our table for 120 or 150 minutes isn't effective use of the table.

Staffing needs are critical issues. Someone posted they have witnessed in Fixed seating that some waiters are running their tails off while others are standing around doing nothing. We have seen the same in Open Seating. It all depends on cruise, day of the cruise and other possible activities, and many other variables.

We are sailing on Dawn Princess next year. As an older ship, it only has Fixed. Going to be an interesting flashback, as we have come to enjoy Open over our last 5 cruises.

Hi TUA,

>Cannot see using significantly fewer stewards as they same number of people will need to be seated and fed.

It's a matter of demand.

With fixed dining you have a high point, where all of your staff are used, a slump where no one is dining and then a high demand.

With open seating the demand is more evenly distributed.

Ira

In that "slump" time, the waiters are cleaning up, and setting up for the next seating.

I would think that all Open would require fewer stewards and would be easier to operate. In the Main Dining Room during the fixed dinner times you see some of the stewards running their tails off, while some (whose tables are empty that evening due to people dining elsewhere) are not very busy. I bet things like late port nights really mess up the routine.

Of course, most cruisers seem to prefer the traditional dining times. Personally, I like the fixed times better, unless we have a number of late ports.

DaveOKC

(bolded emphasis mine)

This is no longer true. The vast majority of cruisers prefer open seating. Even on HAL the desire for "anytime" far exceeds the set times and HAL as we know is one of the most traditional lines afloat.

I believe Cunard is the only line that does not offer anytime. NCL, RCCL, Azamara, Oceania, Seabourne (iirc) all are open seating. Crystal even now offers open dining and rumors there are it'll go completely open when a new ship is built (it's not possible with their current ship structure).

My husband and I like traditional dining. Unfortunately, on our last few HAL cruises, we have been forced into the "Not As You Wish" open dining (even when booking a year out).

We found the open dining to be extremely slow and, of course, the waiter was unfamiliar with our likes and dislikes which affected the enjoyment of the meal.

We ended up eating in the Lido on many nights.

As a result, we have more on to a cruise line that makes traditional dining available to those who want it by adding another dining room or section of dining room to the traditional seatings. The food and service is superb.

As a matter of fact, at dinner last week on our cruise, the people on our table (also HAL cruisers in the past)ended up discussing that as the cruiseline that we were on and HAL targeted the same demographic cruiser, if Carnival Corp was slowly down classing HAL to avoid competition between the two lines.

We discussed all the changes that has been made in HAL over the last few years and the conclusion was yes, HAL is being used as a bridge between Carnival and the line we were on.

A sad conclusion, but maybe it makes business sense.

I'm trying to understand and can only 'assume' you are speaking of Princess. If not, I am confused. :o

I'm saddened and concerned by this rumor (as too many rumors have had a way of coming to fruition). If HAL were to eliminate fixed seating it would mean the end of my solo cruising on this line.

Now, if I were sailing with friends we can make our own table, and go to dinner together. But alone? I do not wish to be seated with a brand new group of people every night over the course of a few weeks. :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to dining alone at home most nights. When I cruise I love the treat of having the same tablemates. Having people I get to know, and to share the details of the day, is something I miss at home---and won't give up when I cruise.

Didn't Carnival do away with table cloths?

Yes, with the ships that have changed to the American Table/American Feast meal concepts. It's more family style which for most would typically mean less formality. Sure there are families out there that likely do tablecloths and fine china and crystal daily... but not the majority I would presume.

It isn't fleetwide and it's received mixed reviews so I think they are trying to decide how to move forward with the concept

I'm saddened and concerned by this rumor (as too many rumors have had a way of coming to fruition). If HAL were to eliminate fixed seating it would mean the end of my solo cruising on this line.

Now, if I were sailing with friends we can make our own table, and go to dinner together. But alone? I do not wish to be seated with a brand new group of people every night over the course of a few weeks. :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to dining alone at home most nights. When I cruise I love the treat of having the same tablemates. Having people I get to know, and to share the details of the day, is something I miss at home---and won't give up when I cruise.

I'm with Ruth C. Since I, too, sail alone, my cruising days are over if HAL moves to open seating only. I hope the rumors are just rumors.

This is no longer true. The vast majority of cruisers prefer open seating. Even on HAL the desire for "anytime" far exceeds the set times and HAL as we know is one of the most traditional lines afloat.

And yet here I sit with a cruise confirmation 17 months in advance, still waiting to be assigned to late fixed seating. Waitlisted that far in advance doesn't sound like a dearth of people requesting fixed on HAL to me.

Yes, with the ships that have changed to the American Table/American Feast meal concepts. It's more family style which for most would typically mean less formality. Sure there are families out there that likely do tablecloths and fine china and crystal daily... but not the majority I would presume.

It isn't fleetwide and it's received mixed reviews so I think they are trying to decide how to move forward with the concept

When we were on the Inspiration last Feb, she was one of the ships testing the American Table menus. We still had tablecloths in the dining room. I looked underneath ours and found that the table was just one of those generic white plastic topped catering-style tables. So, I think it depends on what kind of tables they have onboard whether the tablecloths have disappeared.

Of course, and this may not always be the case, if you are put at a table with folks you don't know and hit it off wonderfully you may all wish to eat together many of the nights anyway - and if you end up at a table with people you can't stand you're under no obligation to ever repeat that experience.

Plus, and I may be incorrect, I believe you can tell the maitre d if youeither a) want to sit with others or b) prefer not to and just have a table to yourself.

So that would tell me that if a table of 6 that perhaps gets sat at a table that can hold 8 would enjoy company you may be given a spot there - and if the same party at the same table doesn't want a "stranger" with them they can easily decline.

Combine that with the fact that open dining allows you access to the time you want even if that time is waitlisted (since you can just show up at that time) I guess I don't see what the issue is.

(this last thought is more to the majority of replies that share a common thought process on here - not just to RuthC)

And yet here I sit with a cruise confirmation 17 months in advance, still waiting to be assigned to late fixed seating. Waitlisted that far in advance doesn't sound like a dearth of people requesting fixed on HAL to me.

I know, it makes no sense. But I have been told the waitlist so far out is essentially BS corporate stuff as they try to already push guests to anytime seating.

I'm not saying there isn't a devout group for late seating - it's what we prefer and have had the past few cruises - but the overwhelming industry trend is away from it to anytime.

Anytime dining can be great if implemented successfully. HAL's miserable attempts make this pretty sketchy.

Making a standing reservation at the same table for 7:30 is ideal for us and we've had that opportunity on a few lines. Same table, same waiters and at the exact precise time we want. If that's what HAL is doing, I think most will be content. But that requires them lifting that nonsensical "no reservations in the time most normal humans eat dinner" charade. :)

Talk about eat and run.

One of the things I enjoy about cruising are slow, leisurely meals. I don't want to rush through my meal like that. We almost always were at our table 2 hours.

Different strokes for different folks! :D It drives me nuts if dinner takes longer than 90 minutes ... 75 or less is better. I don't view eating as my evening entertainment. That's why we always try to get a 2-top. Edited by jtl513

I know, it makes no sense. But I have been told the waitlist so far out is essentially BS corporate stuff as they try to already push guests to anytime seating.

I actually know a couple people that work in the Ship Services dept personally. The explanation they gave me is that it is better to slowly but surely confirm people to make sure they do not ever OVER confirm rather than just let a computer algorithm handle it and hope it doesn't over promise on something they can't accommodate.