Top Floor Dining Packages

little britain

Just to add my experience. On the recent Athens to Venice cruise on the Quest, we could only get one night at the Prime C when we tried to book three nights in, and that was the last night, an overnight in Venice and not at a time of our choosing.

It was great and well worth the money but the non-availability on other nights will not show up on Azamara's radar so they will not be aware of our difficulty.

On our next cruise at the end of August on Quest, we will want to try the 3 night top floor package so will need to book as soon as possible, avoiding the White Night and Azamazing evening. How and where do we book on the pier, prior to boarding?

Thanks.

Rob

On our next cruise at the end of August on Quest, we will want to try the 3 night top floor package so will need to book as soon as possible, avoiding the White Night and Azamazing evening. How and where do we book on the pier, prior to boarding?

Thanks.

Rob

On Journey recently there was a desk set up right next to the check in area.

Phil

I see this thread is gaining momentum, i.e., heating up, so I'll jump in here to say I have not heard on the internal grapevine that there is a problem around Guests getting into the Specialty Restaurants and/or the new Dining Packages.

That doesn't mean it isn't so, just that there's no internal buzz that there's a problem - which is one of the reasons I read this CC forum regularly - to see if a problem exists that we didn't know about. Sort of like reading indian smoke signals rising over the distant hills...some smoke means there's trouble brewing and other smoke simply means they're roasting dinner over the spit. What I'm saying in an off-handed way is that I worry this smoke has turned from dinner to trouble.

I have sent off an email to the Hotel Dept tonight to get an assessment. I expect I'll have some sort of response in the morning. I'll let you know when I hear.

Bonnie

Bonnie, I hope Azamara will look at how often the specialty restaurants are booked and how quickly they are booked. If they only look at number of registered complaints, I don't think they will get the whole picture. While we were disappointed, we did not make a formal complaint. Our cruise was before the dining packages were introduced.

Susan

Selfish Al? I think not. I play by the rules. The rules say that people in suites can dine in Prime C or Aqualina every night if they wish at no additional cost. To enjoy the usual peace and quiet and excellent service of these two dining rooms, I make a reservation for every night when I'm in a suite.

When the rules change, so will I.;)

Toni, if others are frequently complaining that they can't get reservations, then I do think it's selfish, and the rules need to be changed so it can't happen. If the cruise line uses specialty restaurants as a selling apple for everyone (as Azamara does), they should adjust the booking rules so those "in the know" don't freeze out those who are not. That's not only fair, it's good business.

The rules also say everyone in a non-suite stateroom can dine in a specialty every night if they are willing to pay, by the way. It is obviously an impossibility for all suite and non-suite guests to do that every night. I'm pleased Bonnie has asked the Hotel department to look into this to determine if reserving a table has become a real issue.

Three things are combining to make the perfect storm here from what I can see.

1. Azamara are attracting guests to their suite packages who have the not unrealistic expectation that if they choose to, they can dine in a Speciality Restaurant every night. The wording of advertising gives this impression and for UK based guests that wording (most typically distributed by agents) is subject to the rigours of tests of interpretation under legislation. As written I think it probably does infer a right to dine every night if you so choose. It will be further compounded by the fact those same guests will be doing comparisons with Celebrity for next year where very similar wording is used to describe the suite only dining room. The wording is dining in the speciality restaurant - not dining in your room with plates perched on your lap - which is what often has to happen in a Club Continent suite if the weather is inclement so some of the options proposed here for "displaced suite guests" are not relevant

2. The number of nights available to guests to dine in the speciality restaurants are less than they were in the past because of the emphasis put on the Azamazing evenings and White Nights. I am not even sure the ship can resource keeping both specialities open these evenings (they certainly have developed the trend of closing one on these nights) so for non suite guests you are effectively now trying to spread their demand over fewer evenings so less space is available

3. The structure of the packages has encouraged some guests to buy into a dining experience where they go on at least three nights, when previously they would go for two.

I do think part of the solution has to also be a stricter application of a cancellation fee to suite guests. We have heard too often that some make reservations and then decide after a long day ashore they are too tired to dine but it is then too late for others to have the opportunity to use their table. Perhaps a cancellation fee would focus the minds or the overbookers requiring at least six hours notice of cancellation to be given.

And I would reduce the number of packages available so that revenue can still be generated but the load can be spread

Sooner or later Azamara will have to do what Oceania does and that is open up reservations online 90 days prior to the cruise for one reservation in each restaurant. That way everyone gets affair shot. Suite guests get two in each restaurant.

Sooner or later Azamara will have to do what Oceania does and that is open up reservations online 90 days prior to the cruise for one reservation in each restaurant. That way everyone gets affair shot. Suite guests get two in each restaurant.

A good idea in theory. In practice I don't think Azamara's website would be able to handle this until it is upgraded and goodness knows when that will be.

Also on Oceania, the suites get first choice of dining times 90 days out. By the time it gets to the Balconies time to pick speciality dining at about 30 days out then all the best times have all been taken. We found that only the 6:15 slots were available ....much too early for us, especially after a day in port.

Speciality dining on Azamara has always been on a first come basis and I can't see why that should change.

Hazel....we can book at Check In! I think Prime C on Constanta Day and Aqualina on a Sea day? What do you think? :)

Also on Oceania, the suites get first choice of dining times 90 days out. By the time it gets to the Balconies time to pick speciality dining at about 30 days out then all the best times have all been taken. We found that only the 6:15 slots were available ....much too early for us, especially after a day in port.

Speciality dining on Azamara has always been on a first come basis and I can't see why that should change.

Hazel....we can book at Check In! I think Prime C on Constanta Day and Aqualina on a Sea day? What do you think? :)

Correction-from Oceania's web site:

Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites can make reservations 90 days until 7 days prior to embarkation. (The 10 really big suites)

Penthouse Suites can make reservations 75 days until 7 days prior to embarkation. (Club Continent)

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms can make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation. (deck 7)

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Correction-from Oceania's web site:

Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites can make reservations 90 days until 7 days prior to embarkation. (The 10 really big suites)

Penthouse Suites can make reservations 75 days until 7 days prior to embarkation. (Club Continent)

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms can make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation. (deck 7)

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Thank you so much for the correction kiawahdon :rolleyes:....My point still stands though. By the time the speciality dining reservations on Oceania open to veranda, ocean view and inside staterooms, then all the preferred times for dining have been taken by the suites. We found this particularly to be the case for the Jacques Pepin restaurant.....never could get a time there later than 6:15pm, which is too early for us.

I would not want this to happen on Azamara.

Sometimes I like to eat in the specialities on embark night but I have no strong feelings about it as long as it is not two consecutive nights.

H

Thinking about this again here is my 2 cents worth.

No offers on pier BUT suite guests get in room a separate "flyer" stating that

1: If guests wish to dine in speciality then please book within first 24 hours as required otherwise space/ reservations cannot be guaranteed.

This will then clarify the confusing text in 2015 brochure.

2: If guests do not cancel prior to 24 hours then a cancellation fee of $25pp will be charged.

Advantages for Azamara

They will know their likely revenue within 24 hours.

They can then open up spaces as available.

If it is likely big shortfalls in revenue then by all means offer discounted packages but do NOT offer 2 for 1 as on the 2 previous times we have been on board when this was offered it was a disaster.

They may well need to look at staffing as when restaurants are full it is obvious that service can be too slow.

PS I also recognise that guests can sometimes not help the process as we saw a couple take nearly 4 hours over their meal as "they did not wish to be rushed"

Not being able to dine in the specialty restaurants will be a deal breaker for us.

As you can see from my signature we are travellers, but not generally cruisers, though I expect we will cruise more often as we get older.

One reason we took our second Azamara cruise was the wonderful dining experience we had in the specialty dining rooms on our first, when I believe we went four times, plus enjoying the special meal which was then called the Connoisseur wine and food event.

The Discovery dining room was vastly improved on our second voyage but we still enjoyed the specialty restaurants. I think we went three times plus taking in another Connoisseur event.

If we will not be able to do this in future we will be looking elsewhere.

At least go back to guaranteeing that you can go the the specialty dining rooms twice.

I've heard back and am told that indeed the Specialty Restaurants are fuller than before, and they believe this is partially the success of the Dining Packages, and I'd venture to say from the feedback on this thread the favorable reviews of these venues contribute greatly to their popularity.

That said, the Specialty Restaurants are both filled on a first-come reservation basis. Each can handle 75 Guests per night for a total of 150 Guests per night not dining in Discoveries. I'm told the Specialty Restaurants are not 100% full every night. Which reinforces something else the ships report... that "the vast majority of cases where Guests say they cannot get into one of the restaurants, it isn't that they can't get in at all, but that they can't get in on the day and time they want. That's not quite the same as saying they cannot get in at all."

This situation is identical to making reservations at any popular restaurant shoreside.

p.s. I am told they do not hold any tables aside for Suite Guests. The benefit to Suite Guests is they do not pay the $25 per Guest charge.

Just saw this thread and got interested. I've just booked my first Azamara cruise(only done X before). I booked a Club Ocean Suite and was told about the suite perks. The agent stated that as a suite passenger the specialty restaurants would be no charge and when I showed up that I would be seated before anyone else that wasn't another suite passenger. Didn't say if that meant i'd be seated before non-suite passengers who had reservations, but that's kind of how she made it sound. Almost like I wouldn't need to make resevations at all. Sounded too good to be true. Sounds like many of you would agree. :confused:

Just saw this thread and got interested. I've just booked my first Azamara cruise(only done X before). I booked a Club Ocean Suite and was told about the suite perks. The agent stated that as a suite passenger the specialty restaurants would be no charge and when I showed up that I would be seated before anyone else that wasn't another suite passenger. Didn't say if that meant i'd be seated before non-suite passengers who had reservations, but that's kind of how she made it sound. Almost like I wouldn't need to make resevations at all. Sounded too good to be true. Sounds like many of you would agree. :confused:

Even before the introduction of these packages you had to make a reservation at the speciality restaurants if you were in a suite

Edited by Grandma Gilly

I am told they do not hold any tables aside for Suite Guests. The benefit to Suite Guests is they do not pay the $25 per Guest charge.

Bonnie, thanks so much for the information. When you next speak to the "powers that be" would you kindly please pass along the notion that if this benefit is not readily available for suite customers to use at their reasonable convenience, it loses its value to those customers. And a benefit without value is no benefit at all.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Unless there is a special arrangement for passengers in the two largest suite categories (a total of ten suites), it is too good to be true. We've always needed reservations when we've stayed in a suite. Perhaps your agent is misinformed.

As some one who will be taking my first Azamara cruise, I want to thank everyone for bringing this to my attention. I would have had no idea that we would need to make reservations just as we arrive at the ship.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the reservations fill up as quickly on a 16 day sailing? I can imagine that it will be difficult for us to decide two weeks worth of dinners right off the bat. I imagine we will want to use the main dining room most of the time as we won't know what time we will return from sight seeing.

Well now that Bonnie has confirmed NO priority/advantage for suite guests for speciality dining may I suggest in future

1:All suite guests be informed prior to voyage or at very least by separate flyer on boarding that despite brochure marketing speak there is NO priority for them and they need to make reservations ASAP.

2: If reservations are not honoured a $25pp fee will be charged.

At present all suite guests can book all voyage but no penalty if they do not turn up.

Can Bonnie also confirm post 56

Quote " plus premium 24 hour service from

restaurant menus"

Reading that you could reasonably assume that means that anything on "restaurant menus" should be available 24 hours a day.

Well I quote from 2015 brochure UK edition

Page 61

Existing blurb re complimentary speciality dining (reservations recommended) (as discussed previously) then

QUOTE plus premium 24 hour room service from restaurant menus "END QUOTE v

This is presumably to differentiate from 24 hour room service

This is on a seperate menu in rooms and it relatively restricted.

PS UK website still states 2 bottles of free spirits rather than 4 smaller bottles.

I bottle on website is Scotch WHISKEY !!!!

Any self respecting Scot will be spinning at the mistake

Scotch is WHISKY

Irish/American/Japanese may be WHISKEY.

• 1 month later...

We are just back from our sailing and I thought I'd post our experience. We booked the package that included one dinner in Prime C, one dinner in Aqualina, and one Chef's Table as soon as we boarded. Of course we had no problem selecting our dates and times. The Chef's Table we selected was set to be four days before we disembarked. When I found out the that the group had become large enough to have to be accommodated in the library and would be hosted by the Art Auction shill, I cancelled on the day of our Chef's Table and asked to change the package to the package that included three specialty restaurant dinners. We were accommodated and we were able on short notice to instead book Aqualina again. I must mention though that we dine early. Each time we dined the restaurants were fairly empty and yet I observed the Maitre D telling walk-ins that they could not be accommodated because of the 8:00 and 8:30 PM reservations. This made no sense though as no one we observed took more than an hour and a half to complete a meal, two at the utmost. Seeing all the empty tables just made us question the strategy.