tips for staying healthy

cjm94

It is important to realize that the one of the main reasons there is any protection against the Noro virus is because the Center for Disease Control has put a mandatory protocol in place that cruise lines have to obey. Face it, there isn't any cruise line jumping to be the trend setter in matters of virus protection. That said, it is also important to realize that each cruise ship only has to get a mark of 80% compliance to be able to set sail. That means the Noro virus could still be active on your ship before your board. If it is, your cruise activities could be shut down or curtailed and the only recourse you will have is to get off the ship. You will not get a refund, it is in the paperwork. Some cruise lines still charge you for you to seek medical help with Noro. The cruise line can, and does, absolutely set sail knowing it still has a problem with the Noro. Also, if you research it, you will find that the number one way you contact Noro isn't guest to guest but food service handler to guest. it comes from unwashed hands.

Our 20th anniversary was all but ruined from taking a cruise and being shut down within 2 days due to the Noro only to find out that the ship had the problem the cruise before. As the cruise told us, "we met the CDC requirements" that means 80% free so they set said knowing the possibilities.

Here are some things you can do to stay healthy

1. research your ship and see their protocol and track record for handling the Noro as well as the instances they have had it.

2. bring your own antibacterial spray and start by undressing your bed and spraying the mattress. it isn't a matter of standard cleaning protocol for stewards to do that when cleaning the cabins. If a sick person had your cabin before you, slept in your bed, left any skin or bodily fluids, you could be toast. When you arrive your bed will be made up very pretty, unmake it and spray it down. Do that several times during your trip

3. Each day when you come back to your cabin, use antibacterial spray on your channel changer, all faucets and all doorknobs, toilets.

4. use the supplied antibacterial lotion in the public areas often.

5. start taking something such as Air Borne a week before you leave on your trip and continue taking it throughout your trip. It may not help the Noro but it may build up your immunity which will give you some protection

6. do not shake hands with anyone, if you do, wash very well right afterwards

7. if you see a food service person without gloves report it and don't eat at that station.

8. if you get sea sick get the patch from your doctor and start it 2-3 days before your cruise.

9. do not eat whole fruit unless you wash it yourself. I intend on bringing a small acceptable size of veggie wash esp made for bacterial removal.

10. carry your own purse size antibacterial surface wipes for the table, salt and pepper shaker. Rather than use just seat protectors on the public toilet use your purse size antibacterial wipes on the toilet first.

12. stay hydrated with water and smart water or something containing actual electrolytes. this is especially important if your cruise is to a "fun and sun" sort of place. if you cannot afford a drink package you can buy drinks in each port. But, the water on board is pure and has been sanitized although many times it is bitter.

you may be thinking "this person really has OCD" but I experienced this very thing on my 20th year anniversary cruise. We were was sick long after the cruise. Since then, we have put our own protocol for traveling in place and gone on several other holidays coming home perfectly well and healthy. There is a lot of good information out there. Notice what the CDC says, "The viruses are found in the vomit and stool of infected people. You can get it by

• Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with noro virus
  • Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with noro virus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth
  • Having direct contact with a person who is infected with noro virus, for example, when caring for someone with noro virus or sharing foods or eating utensils with them"

A very good website to visit is http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/index.html

In conclusion, i am not staying home and neither should you! Let's get out there and travel...but travel smart; carry antibacterial spray, wipes, Airborne. Also, check Cruise Critic regularly; they tell the good and the bad, you need to be informed.

Happy sailing!

Edited by cjm94
spelling

I have been on 17 cruises and the only thing on this list I do is drink plenty of water, but that is something I always do anyway to remain hydrated.

I wash my hands (correctly) before all meals and after using the restroom. That's about it. Hate hand sanitizers (and most do nothing to fight Noro), they dry my skin out terribly. The smell of Lysol or other disinfectant sprays is nauseating.

Oh my goodness! I didn't see "relax and have some fun" anywhere on your list. :rolleyes: But, I guess you don't have time for that, what with scrubbing down your cabin every day, and watching to make sure all food handlers have gloves -- oh, and don't forget those hairnets! :eek:

Oh my goodness! I didn't see "relax and have some fun" anywhere on your list. :rolleyes: But, I guess you don't have time for that, what with scrubbing down your cabin every day, and watching to make sure all food handlers have gloves -- oh, and don't forget those hairnets! :eek:

Where is the "LIKE" button when you need it....;)

Eat in dining room is the first way to avoid bugs

Second always sanitize everywhere you go

Use elbows to exit bathrooms

Only use hand rails if you need them then sanitize

Don't touch your face

Sneeze into your elbow not hand

See a doctor if you are sick

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a healthy immune systems goes a long way...and then being cognizant of the risks goes the rest of the way. You can have feces and vomit on your hands...as long as you don't introduce it to YOUR system, you'll likely be ok. The introductory points are eyes, nose, and mouth! Do NOT touch your face, unless you've just washed your hands.

Yes...the spray from vomitus can be breathed in, but that's rare.

If we were talking Ebola I would take all of the precautions on the list but for noro not so much. It's not pleasant and does curtail your activity while you have it but it's not known for a high mortality rate.

Why would I take the bed apart and spray it and everything else with an antibacterial spray when norovirus is a virus not bacterial.

I take normal precautions on a ship just as I do on land.

OP you should learn the difference between a bacteria and a virus.

You are doing nothing to kill a virus like Norovirus.

What you are creating are bacteria that are resistant to stuff that you like to use. You are creating super bugs.

I hope you also ware a mask the whole time and don't eat except in your clean room. Think of all those germs just floating around the dinning room and especially don't every eat at the buffet.

So, OP, do you take similar precautions when you go to the local shopping mall, when you visit a relative in a nursing home, or when your children go to school? Going to those places can put you at risk of Noro as well. But only cruise ships get the bad name. :rolleyes:

I just wish that all passengers would wash their hands properly and longer than just a second and that they would not sneeze and cough at everybody else including in a narrow hallway and across the breakfast table. Next time somebody does that, I will get up and leave.

Good grief! :eek: If I was that paranoid about contracting some illness, I'd just stay home. Bringing a special wash to clean fruit...that's just plain ridiculous.

Roz

I just wish that all passengers would wash their hands properly and longer than just a second and that they would not sneeze and cough at everybody else including in a narrow hallway and across the breakfast table. Next time somebody does that, I will get up and leave.

Whenever someone sneezes, don't automatically assume that they're ill and have some sort of contagious virus. The person could have some sort of allergy. True, it's not pleasant when someone sneezes in your direction, but I don't think it's a reason to panic and run away. Our daughter suffers from certain allergies, and sometimes sneezes uncontrollably. And if a person has allergies, washing their hands won't do much good.

I think we owe it to each other to do our best to not get and pass on germs, bacteria, viruses, diseases, etc... The reward is far greater than the effort needed. Actually, we DON'T have a RIGHT to pass these things on to others due to neglect of precautions.

So yea-

Sneeze into your sleeve.

Wash your hands after the bathroom and before eating.

Use your knuckle to push elevator buttons.

Use your elbows to open doors when possible.

Use your dominate hand for touching everything but what you touch that goes into your mouth, then use your non-dominate hand (bread for example).

Wipe down the remote and faucets in your room.

Wipe the grocery cart handle at the store.

Don't even go to a nursing home if your sick, and clean your hands when you leave a nursing home.

And take enough medicine before you get on an airplane to subdue your persistent coughing rather than cough the entire flight.

And lastly, don't wear so much perfume that it makes peoples eyes water and nose run!

Rant over:)

We were recently on a 32 day cruise, and were slightly paranoid about Noro because of the length of our cruise. Before we entered our cabin, we sprayed everything, and I mean everything with Lysol#3. That included the phones, channel changer, knobs, handles and the entire bathroom.

Knock wood, we did not have a problem with Noro, but we caught cold because of being in airport, airplanes, etc. This happens on every trip. Right now we have cold meds from Germany, France, Hungary, and Russia.

I has Noro once - here at home in Atlanta. Hadn't been on a cruise ship or a plane in months. Who knows where I got it. All I know is that it was a TERRIBLE. I would never want it again.

So I wash my hands. A lot. That's about the only precaution I take.

I heard today that antibacterial hand stuff makes no difference!

Even if an anti-bacterial spray worked against viruses, which it doesn't, spraying down the bed isn't going to do any good. You can't get enough "spray" on the bedding and mattress to kill anything, unless you bring a barrel of it and soak everything, and even if you do that, it's STILL not going to kill a VIRUS.

"Airborne" is worthless and a complete scam. It does NOTHING to boost the immune system.

The OP must have a wonderful time on his cruises spending all the time cleaning things. I have done maybe 8 - 10 totally sick free cruises and I do nothing but wash my hands after going to the loo. I don't worry about touching stuff. I don't worry about cleaning my room. I don't touch the elevator buttons w my elbow. I even open the lavatory door with an ungloved hand. I just enjoy myself.

I might suggest 4 items that the OP should take w him when he travels

1. Several hazmet suits -

http://www.amazon.com/Tychem-BR-Protective-Attatched-Removable/dp/B0032JOF70

2. A transportable UV room sterilizer -

http://www.medical-supplies-equipment-company.com/files/Media/PDF/Ultraviolet-Portable-Mini-Room-Sanitizer-1.pdf

3. A portable hand held UV sterilizer for when the OP is out and about the ship w/o their bio hazard suit -

http://www.allergyasthmatech.com/P/Verilux_CleanWave_UVC_Sanitizing_Wand/977

4. Several boxes of surgical gloves -

http://www.cardinal.com/us/en/protexis

After all, you can not be too careful.

DON