The Reviews are in

cgidden

The 2014 end of year reviews and 2015 guides are starting to come out, so here goes.

Cruise Critics (this website) 2014 US Editor's Picks ranks Ponant Yacht cruises as best for luxury and picks Oceania as the top line for "Best Dining". Seabourn is not chosen as best for any of the 18 categories.

U.S. News and World Report's 2015 Best Cruise Lines Rankings

Best Luxury Lines: 1. Crystal 2. Silversea 3. Regent Seven Seas 4. Azamara

And the bible of cruise reviews the Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ships 2015

Top three mid-size ships (751-2000 passengers) 1. Crystal Serenity 2. Crystal Symphony 3. Oceania Riviera

Top three small ships (251-750 passengers) 1. Europa2 2. Europa 3. Silver Whisper

Top three Boutique ships (50-250 passengers) 1. Hanseatic 2. Seadream I 3. Seadream II

Best Cruise Lines for Foodies 1. Crystal 2. Hapag-Lloyd 3. Oceania 4. Seadream 5. Silversea

I know, I know. You fanboys and fangirls don't care about reviews contradictory to your beliefs, so save your breath.

But for those with open minds, food for thought when choosing a luxury cruise

The 2014 end of year reviews and 2015 guides are starting to come out, so here goes.

Cruise Critics (this website) 2014 US Editor's Picks ranks Ponant Yacht cruises as best for luxury and picks Oceania as the top line for "Best Dining". Seabourn is not chosen as best for any of the 18 categories.

U.S. News and World Report's 2015 Best Cruise Lines Rankings

Best Luxury Lines: 1. Crystal 2. Silversea 3. Regent Seven Seas 4. Azamara

And the bible of cruise reviews the Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ships 2015

Top three mid-size ships (751-2000 passengers) 1. Crystal Serenity 2. Crystal Symphony 3. Oceania Riviera

Top three small ships (251-750 passengers) 1. Europa2 2. Europa 3. Silver Whisper

Top three Boutique ships (50-250 passengers) 1. Hanseatic 2. Seadream I 3. Seadream II

Best Cruise Lines for Foodies 1. Crystal 2. Hapag-Lloyd 3. Oceania 4. Seadream 5. Silversea

I know, I know. You fanboys and fangirls don't care about reviews contradictory to your beliefs, so save your breath.

But for those with open minds, food for thought when choosing a luxury cruise

Thanks for posting this but once you have sailed on all of these lines the only thing that matters is what you think not anyone else.

I find that most other people are not as particular as me so their idea of what is good maybe not that great for me.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Schadenfreude is such an unattractive quality.

Indeed Henry,we do see it on CC often normally by those that have not sailed much on any line or by those that have just registered as a member on CC,Sad really.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

Three posts, all on Seabourn, all negative. Hmmmmm.

Only three posts? Well, only three posts under this identity anyway ...

I am surprised that Seabourn hasn't featured in any of those accolades, but it doesn't make any difference to me, and I'm still very much looking forward to my next SB cruise in March :)

Once again, and for good reasons, I concur with Mr. Luxury.

1- Starting with Ponant, please, are you serious? Limited programs, small cabins, simple and less-than-luxurious ships. At 450/330 passengers and crew and all this generous space, well, that's my ideal situation.

2- Surveys? I know what mine would say right now. I am on Odyssey and chef Curt, Hotel Manager Daniel, Cruise Director John... Need I continue? They are delivering up and around the best possible experience I can imagine.

3- And so, so what? If I were to fill out surveys I would obviously show my allegiance to Seabourn. But I don't bother, partly because I don't want to receive, in turn, solicitations and other spam from those in survey-linked businesses. And also because I know, like Mr L, what I think and what my fellow Seabourn-traveling friends think.

Happy sailing to those self-selected and fortunate enough to be with us!

These polls are nonsense.

Who are they asking?

EG -- Azamara a top "luxury" line? Impossible.

There is nothing "luxurious" about it, the cabins are tiny, bathrooms the size of a linen closet and the ships are old and badly in need of refurbishment.

We tend to ignore polls and surveys. Unless I know who is being asked what their frame of reference is, the responses are meaningless.

Thanks for posting this but once you have sailed on all of these lines the only thing that matters is what you think not anyone else.

I find that most other people are not as particular as me so their idea of what is good maybe not that great for me.

Well said Mr. L.

After two Seabourn cruises, and Antartica chosen for our Christmas and New Year's vacation, what we treasure on a Seabourn cruise is the staff--so warm, so friendly, so willing to get us anything we want--AND we see many we knew on the last cruise.

I also love the suites which are spacious, clean, luxurious, and quiet. My only complaint has been the lack of dining options. One can't beat Oceania's Marina for that. Having excursions included is nice on Regent. And since we don't sail Crystal until May, I can't speak to that.

Truly, is there such a thing as a BAD experience on a luxury liner??? Not in my experience.

Mom C

Sadly, yes if you count Regent, doubly so if Oceania qualifies.

We have some pretty well-heeled friends who enjoy Regent and Oceania. I've never been, mostly because I prefer a smaller ship, and have no desire to try those lines. Luxury is in the eyes of the beholder, and I do not presume to judge that those lines do not qualify as luxury lines. I think it presumptuous, and judgmental, for anyone on these boards to assess "luxury" status. I know my friends enjoy more options that the larger ships offer.

We have some pretty well-heeled friends who enjoy Regent and Oceania. I've never been, mostly because I prefer a smaller ship, and have no desire to try those lines. Luxury is in the eyes of the beholder, and I do not presume to judge that those lines do not qualify as luxury lines. I think it presumptuous, and judgmental, for anyone on these boards to assess "luxury" status. I know my friends enjoy more options that the larger ships offer.

How do I do this and not get my post deleted? You fully admit that you're ignorant of the subject at hand (you've never sailed either line) yet you're trying to argue my opinion of lines Ive been on multiple times? Gotcha :confused:

Pop,

You might be interested to know that in the cruise industry when one refers to "luxury" cruise lines it is not a matter of someone like Emperor Norton's opinion but rather a fairly well accepted classification system used by cruise professionals to distinguish the different cruise lines. Most of those systems classify Crystal, Silversea, Sea Dream, Regent, and yes, Seabourn as those in the luxury class. It is not an issue of one individuals "personal assessment and judgement."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

None of these classifications matters IMO

No different from restaurants getting Michelin stars or hotel ratings

You either like it or you don't.

It either suits your likes and dislikes or it does not.

People should not get bogged down in these artificial categorizations.

We've sailed a few of these cruiselines that garnered the "best" awards this year (Regent, Oceania, Azamara). Each brings something to the table but, for us, Seabourn is the whole package. The "best" awards are great for cruiseline marketing but matter little in our decision-making. The only opinion that counts is your own!

Not to mention that Porthole Magazine has named Seabourn as the best luxury line for several years in a row. I agree that the only opinion that matter is one's own but if we're going to quote surveys etc. they should all be considered.

Sounds like Keith to me.

The following comment is directed at half the other posters on this thread, and not Mr. L. The OP is posting facts, not comments. Why shoot the messenger?

Polls can influence first time buyers. When I see what US News has come up with, it makes me wonder if every other poll they publish is rubbish.

And it looks like Seabourn has not been kissing Doug Ward's rear like H-L has done for decades. It is curious how he put SS ahead of SB for food....quite a reversal on his part.

How do I do this and not get my post deleted? You fully admit that you're ignorant of the subject at hand (you've never sailed either line) yet you're trying to argue my opinion of lines Ive been on multiple times? Gotcha :confused:

You got me Norty. I will admit to "ignorance" about other lines to the extent I haven't personally experienced them, but I am always respectful of the opinions of others, understanding "to each his or her own."

Edited by Pop-I

Thank you for the information. All I can say is that there are at least 6 couples on this Barcelona-Capetown-Capetown portion of the "nonworld world cruise" who have been on, virtually, every "high end" cruise line and are, totally, adoring every second of their first Seabourn cruise. I check in with them daily and have not yet received any negative input. Regardless of my opinion of which everyone is aware, I believe that the Seabourn "first timers" are excellent judges. Wishing all of you could be here with us. Champagne wishes!

Each to his own.

However, for Ponant to recieve the luxury award, they must have paid for it themselves!

What a joke. Whilst their ships look very sleek, that is about all they have going for them. I suppose it depends if your definition of luxury, is poor food, wine and service!!!

Give us a definitive definition of "x" and maybe we can all Agree. Give us a subjective definition and we will see each one's opinions. I do not have experience with these other lines to be able to judge, but having stayed at many top land-based hotels I can say Seabourn is comparable to the best. We can all have our subjective opinion but they are just that, so get over it, it IS your opinion! Not right nor wrong, just your opinion based on your experience or formative experience, what ever that might be, as in the case of the OP

Edited by 2SailingNomads