<silly> fashion question re: nail polish color

Poohb

I may get no answers, I may get a lot. For the 'fashionistas' on CC; what is more logical for nail polish color? My 'formal' down-to-the-toes dress is very purple with some green & yellow. My swimsuits have pink. Should I get my pedicure to match the dress or swimsuits?

Purple or pink? I can not find a color that is a compromise. I like dark <see-able> color, not neutral.

You will have to go get a pedi with a nail artist for my suggetion. Go with a pink but swril out the big toes with a few bright colors that will match the wardrobe. Many salons have some true artists that can do that quite well in such a small space. Possibly a teeny jewel or two just to add some sparkle.:D

I don't think a purple polish would be very "formal". You might find a nice brighter pink (like a raspberry) that would be the right tone to go with the dress and the bathing suits? Otherwise, I'd go with the dress - it's probably not going to matter as much if your polish matches your bathing suits? (considering that formal photos seem to be an oft-cited reason for dressing up here :D)

Essie has a new summer 2016 called Berried Treasures that is sort of the shade I'm thinking of - no clue if it would match your dress & bathing suits, but I love it. And I hate pink ;) http://www.essie.com/Colors/pinks/berried-treasures.aspx

As a nail polish fanatic (200+ bottles), what time of the year are you going, and where are you going? If it's the Carib, which is always tropical, I would go with a brighter shade of pink. Since you mentioned swimwear, I'm assuming tropical. Never match my fingers and toes, so you could go pink on fingers and purple on toes. You could also go with a sparkly silver or gold too, that could flash all colors.

I usually do my own mani and pedis's, but if I do have them done, I take my own polish. That way I can take it on board for touch ups. You can also take a few of the packs of remover wipes if you want to change color.

I normally take longer cruises (10+ days), and I take a few different colors and mix it up every few days.

Edited by crzndeb

• 3 weeks later...

Why not a neutral color that goes with everything? I did a gray with blue undertones for our Alaskan cruise. I had a wardrobe including formal looks (red/black, Kelly green, violet, all shades of blue, cream, leopard)--it looked good with everything[emoji4]

I like dark colours also and struggle in summer to go bright, I currently have a Shellac hot pink on my nails which I hate and Shellac orange on my toes as experimenting with brighter colours for next cruise but I will probably go dark in the end, with same colour on both finger and toe nails! It's OK for me as I have all this to hand in my business so can try lots of the colours at not too much expense, just the time!

Orange/hot pinks look good with a tan but I just don't love them personally. However many of my clients love them behind the various reds which I am not keen on either. In your case I would match to the swimsuits as you will have those on more than the formal dress.

CND Shellac have some lovely dark colours, dark lava, dark dahlia, black cherry sort of shades, and rock royalty which is a rich darkish purple but you might not have a tech in your town that does it.

Another option is nail appliques/wraps and you don't need to have them professionally done if you have a bit of patience/time and you can change your look easily as the majority peel/soak off. Minx and Dashing Diva are more pro but there are literally thousands of different ones out there. Don't go for something really cheap as it will just peel off. Downside is unless it is a professional product it will probably peel off if in the pool/sea too much but for one night you could put it on top of your other pedicure colour and then just peel it off in the morning.

It's too late for me to look out pictures tonight but if I remember I will do it this weekend.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 4 weeks later...

I loved this post! To know that there is someone out there who also agonises over the same things, yes I know some may think it trivial but if its important to you its important to get it right! Last year on the QE I tried to co-ordinate each formal outfit with my nails and I took a few different colours with me. But this proved to be quite hard work! So this year I'm going more neutral, french manicure maybe and a lovely doily effect from Butter. I'll let you know how it goes!

1. Find a purple that matches or coordinates with your dress. Purple and pink generally work well together so it would look fine with your swimsuit as well. If a purple that matches your dress is too dark, try to find a lighter shade in the same tone as your dress.

2. Go with a neutral.... either French tips, or a metallic in particular.

3. You could do a pink, but with your dress being purple, green and yellow, it might be one too many colors added to the mix. Just my .02.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just another thought here, but how about the rest of your wardrobe? You've mentioned your bathing suits and formal night dress. Sometimes, when I'm stuck on colors, I look for a color that will go best with most of what I am wearing overall.

That being said, I really like my nails to match my formal outfit. Bathing suits are not formal, and there is a trend to mix and match these days...I would say your nail color is not something that is expected to match your swimwear.

Metallics stand out, and can be a good solution, as a few people have already posted.

I tend to bring a lot of variety which can make nail color choices hard. But I never feel like I go wrong if the color matches my outfit on formal night.