Have you ever had to use the Princess Protection Ins?

P.A.

Would like to hear from those that have had to use the Princess Protection Ins that you purchased with your cruise?

I've always bought outside travel ins, and never had to file a claim, thank goodness, but this time I bought the Princess Ins mainly because we may have to cancel like a week before the sailing. The understanding is that if we cancel for a NON-covered reason, that our amount paid for our cruise will go towards a future Princess cruise within 12 months.

Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

We had to cancel a cruise 2 years ago because I was hospitalized for heart surgery. It was about 3 weeks before the cruise. The Princess insurance covered the entire amount. All we lost was the cost of the insurance. I did need to submit medical forms from my doctor. The claim was received as a credit against my credit card I believe.

Edited by DGSFlorida

We had to use the Princess insurance in 2011, 5 days before a 28 day cruise for medical reasons. It was extremely easy and we had a full refund within about 3 weeks (before the 28 day cruise was even over)! :eek: We usually get a quote from the TA and take the cheaper insurance. For our upcoming cruise the Princess insurance was only about $20 more, so we took it. We use the Princess Visa card so we figured we get double points! :rolleyes:

Yes. Used the Princess insurance three years ago when my brother-in-law got sick on a cruise and wound up spending a month in the ICU in FLL. I was traveling with my sister and kept her company.

The onboard medical bill was $8,000 which was submitted first to Blue Shield which paid $6,000. Medicare does not pay anything and I don't know whether the new insurance programs through Obamacare will. Princess insurance, Berkley Care, paid the remaining $2,000.

Princess assisted our disembarkation off the ship and through US Immigration and Customs. Jim had been transported to Dade County as soon as the lines were secured. They arranged a special rate of $100/night (during the Pro Bowl and SuperBowl) at a hotel with free transport to/ from the hospital. The insurance per diem coverage was $100/day up to the total amount paid for the cruise. After a month, we had Jim flown to CA via MedJet Assist, a supplemental policy that pays for medical transportation anywhere in the world. Most insurance policies cover only if the patient is in a "approved" medical center.

When we got home, we submitted claims to Berkley. Mine was piggybacked to my sisters for "trip interruption." Almost all of my expenses were refunded via check and most of my sister's.

I had another occasion to use my Berkley Care insurance a few months ago. I'd booked a B2B from Beijing to Whittier to Vancouver. After final payment, we changed our minds and canceled the Whittier to Vancouver cost. I received a credit for the cost of that portion of the fare less the insurance cost. It was refunded as a credit to my Captain's Circle account and then applied as a credit towards my Royal Princess October cruise since it wasn't a covered reason.

Two years ago, I tripped and shattered my right wrist. Two days later we were suppose to go on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise.

Check for the fully amount (less the insurance) was received in less than 2 weeks.

I only bought the insurance because my dad was 94! He was fine--I was the one having surgery!

We have since bought the insurance for peace of mind--$300 or $400 is worth not having to worry about losing $4 to $6 K due to a health problem.

If you book your airfare independently and you travel before and/or after your cruise, am I correct in assuming you will need to purchase an additional policy to cover those expenses?

Yes, that is my understanding. We had booked using FF miles (SW), so just had to call to cancel. Lost a minimal amount of money.

Medicare does not pay anything and I don't know whether the new insurance programs through Obamacare will.

No change top what Medicare will cover. Still nothing outside the USA.

As for other policies that will be become available, it will be up to the issuing insurance company where coverage will apply. Read the fine print carefully.

I travel with my mom who is very healthy at 88 but you never know. We always purchase insurance and was thinking of adding Medjet assist or ? In case she fell ill and needed to be transported home. Problem is finding a company to insure an 88 year old. I see Princess Platinum has some coverage for transport, 50,000 I think, but I suspect that would not be enough. Has anyone with Princess Ins. h@ad to be transported home? Any suggestions?

I took a fall and landed on my face while on a private excursion in Rome last October, and had to go to the ship's medical center to have my upper lip suturedm my wrist Xrayed (Ended up just being a sprain), and 5 days later returned to the med center for suture removal. The bills totaled over $600, which, of course was added to my shipboard account.

When I got home I first submitted the charges to my Medicare supplement (I have the kind that covers foreign travel), which paid a percentage of what was left after their $250 deductible was applied. I then submitted the remaing balance, including the deductible, to Berkely (Princess ins,), and was reimbursed for every penny, including the deductible.

Both insurances were very prompt in paying.

After that experience, I have also added an annual membership in MedJetAssist!!!

Edited by flamomo

This is all good information. So glad to hear that it was a fairly simple process if in fact you do have to file a claim. You just never know what could happen. Thank you for sharing. We always buy travel insurance when we cruise. This will just be our first time using the Princess Protection, and as I mentioned, we've never had to file a claim..thank GOD! This time it was actually cheaper than the quote we got from another company if I were comparing plan to plan. Plus we are now platinum members, so we got the better plan for the price of the basic plan. WooHoo!!

Thanks again for sharing! ;-)

I travel with my mom who is very healthy at 88 but you never know. We always purchase insurance and was thinking of adding Medjet assist or ? In case she fell ill and needed to be transported home. Problem is finding a company to insure an 88 year old. I see Princess Platinum has some coverage for transport, 50,000 I think, but I suspect that would not be enough. Has anyone with Princess Ins. h@ad to be transported home? Any suggestions?

mamaboss-This is off the subject but...I see that you cruised on Caribbean Princess in 2006 and again in 2013. Did you notice any changes to the ship and did the ship look worn or were the updates noticeable? We sailed Caribbean Princess in 2004 & 2006 and are booked again this Nov. Was just hoping it felt like a newer ship and not an older one. Thanks! ;-)

Edited by P.A.

mamaboss-This is off the subject but...I see that you cruised on Caribbean Princess in 2006 and again in 2013. Did you notice any changes to the ship and did the ship look worn or were the updates noticeable? We sailed Caribbean Princess in 2004 & 2006 and are booked again this Nov. Was just hoping it felt like a newer ship and not an older one. Thanks! ;-)

Of course I saw some wear here and there but overall she is in great shape! She is my favorite ship to date. What I remember most about the 2006 voyage (my first ever cruise) was how very bad the bed was. It was lopsided and every morning I had to walk around for about an hour to straighten out my back.:eek: Why didn't I complain you may ask? I have no idea. I usually roll with the punches on vacation. I put the pool towels under one side to help some. When we booked this years I was thinking about that darn bed and praying for a newer mattress, vowing to complain if I had to. 3 days prior to sailing I noticed on my personalizer we were upgraded to a mini and that bed was fantastic! :eek::DI have since read that she has new mattresses this year. As I said I love the Caribbean Princess and she is still as beautiful as in 2006, you will agree I am sure. Have a great and healthy cruise!

I never travel without the cruise ins, Princess has one of the best, my sister-in-laws cabin mate went into the hospital 2 days before cruise, both got a full refund just with the standard ins. Princess is backed by one of the best ins co. When I do land packages I use only Travel Guard. Like with all ins you have to read the fine print. Young or older it is a must. Europeans & CA never travel with out travel ins. The US travelers do not understand the need for it until something happens.

Edited by twistedcruiser

Yes. Used the Princess insurance three years ago when my brother-in-law got sick on a cruise and wound up spending a month in the ICU in FLL. I was traveling with my sister and kept her company.

The onboard medical bill was $8,000 which was submitted first to Blue Shield which paid $6,000. Medicare does not pay anything and I don't know whether the new insurance programs through Obamacare will. Princess insurance, Berkley Care, paid the remaining $2,000.

Princess assisted our disembarkation off the ship and through US Immigration and Customs. Jim had been transported to Dade County as soon as the lines were secured. They arranged a special rate of $100/night (during the Pro Bowl and SuperBowl) at a hotel with free transport to/ from the hospital. The insurance per diem coverage was $100/day up to the total amount paid for the cruise. After a month, we had Jim flown to CA via MedJet Assist, a supplemental policy that pays for medical transportation anywhere in the world. Most insurance policies cover only if the patient is in a "approved" medical center.

When we got home, we submitted claims to Berkley. Mine was piggybacked to my sisters for "trip interruption." Almost all of my expenses were refunded via check and most of my sister's.

I had another occasion to use my Berkley Care insurance a few months ago. I'd booked a B2B from Beijing to Whittier to Vancouver. After final payment, we changed our minds and canceled the Whittier to Vancouver cost. I received a credit for the cost of that portion of the fare less the insurance cost. It was refunded as a credit to my Captain's Circle account and then applied as a credit towards my Royal Princess October cruise since it wasn't a covered reason.

Hi Pam:

You seem very knowledgeable about the Princess insurance. I was wondering if you understand the Pre-existing conditions (whatever they may be) clause. I have read it and it is gobbledygook to me. :confused:

I have the Princess best (Platinum I think) that was purchased on the day I booked the cruise. It seem to me that Pre-existing conditions are waived under those circumstances.

Thanks for any help.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Bill :)

Have the Platinum Insurance for an upcoming 30 day cruise and whilst I have read through the details and think I understand can anyone address the coverage should we have to leave the cruise part way thru as result of the passing of a family member? Don't anticipate anything, but with elderly parents one never knows.

We witnessed Princess Ins at its best last Jan in Galveston. We used another online Ins agency. Long story short we were fogged in all day on our return. Disembarkation was delayed due to the weather and we missed all our flights. We played phone tag with airlines and hotels while waiting to dock. The passengers with Princess insurance just went to the desk, had their flights rescheduled were put in a hotel over night if needed and had a minimal of hassle. We learned our lesson. For or upcoming cruise in Nov. we have gone with Princess for everything. It might cost a few more dollars, I'm not sure. But after last Jan weather delay we are not taking chances. Our ins agency did indeed come through in the end but be prepared to document everything send it in and wait and wait. Bon Voyage Cruise Critic members

Disembarkation was delayed due to the weather and we missed all our flights. We played phone tag with airlines and hotels while waiting to dock. The passengers with Princess insurance just went to the desk, had their flights rescheduled were put in a hotel over night if needed and had a minimal of hassle.

Did those passengers have Princess insurance or had they booked their flights with Princess EZAir?

Princess will take care of those who booked their flights with EZAir.

Those with Princess insurance may need to make their own arrangements and then have to wait until they get home and file claim for reimbsursement.

Anyone know if you CFAR and get a cruise credit, is it transferable to another party such as a different family member?
No. Not transferable. It's a credit on your Captain's Circle #. Members of the same family have the same # but an A, B, C, etc. after the number to differentiate family members. Regardless, a credit is not transferable