Boston aiming for year round operations

Chesneygirl

I would like to see cruises to Quebec City from Boston and to Boston from Quebec City in the warm weather months. Have taken this cruise from Boston to Quebec City and return to Boston in the fall - and the weather wasn't the best. Very cold and stormy. It is beautiful country and the warmer weather would be more appreciated. I do hope that in the not to distant future that cruises will be started during the summer months.

I'd like to see these cruises become round trips. RCL does a round trip Boston-Canada cruise.

On NCL, the cruise is one way to Canada, and one must book a B2B, or some other transportation home. This is expensive or inconvenient.

I'd like to see these cruises become round trips. RCL does a round trip Boston-Canada cruise.

On NCL, the cruise is one way to Canada, and one must book a B2B, or some other transportation home. This is expensive or inconvenient.

Very true--we wanted to book a round-trip cruise to Canada and settled for the GEM out of NYC a few years back in mid.Sept.--it turned out to be a great cruise (actually had some warm weather in Quebec), but it would have been nice to be able to take this out of Boston, which is a lot closer for us, and obviously cheaper and less of a hassle than travelling to NYC.

Keeping fingers (& toes) crossed for more options for us in New England.

Valid point. It will be a tough sell considering the extra day needed. If the ship could go up through the Cape Cod canal it might help cut down on the time frame but it can't so it has to go around Cape Cod and then head south west. Cruise lines care too much about fuel costs to entertain it seriously.

I would rather drive or take the bus to NYC to make sure I got to warmer weather faster! :)

During the early part of the 20th century, steamers would go through the canal on their way to and from New York. Of course those ships were smaller than today's, but what if Massport

dredges the canal and Boston Harbor. Doing this might change the picture.

Just a thought.

What ship could use the Cape Cod Canal? The maximum length allowed is 825 ft. long and no taller than 135 ft. That pretty much rules out any modern cruise ship. Wintertime cruising to the Southern Caribbean would add at least 3 days each way just to make the trip, how many days would the stay in the South? Would require a minimum of two week cruises to do the South.

Cruising in the winter to Quebec would be brutal, how many trips would have to be canceled due to weather? Most likely would be Bermuda year round and I don't think Bermuda weather is all that great in the winter, and the Atlantic weather would make for some interesting trips.

• 1 month later...

As the article states, they definitely have to advertise more. I live 30 mins north of Boston and didn't even realize that they have cruises going out from their to Bermuda. The only reason I found out was because a friend of mine booked a cruise for this Oct just recently. Had I know, my husband and I would already have sailed on one!

This is something that we would at least consider but as many have pointed out Boston is a long way from warm weather by ship. We were looking at a cruise in October 2016 and I suggested one of the Canada/New England itineraries and DW's response was "I already know New England in the fall and I want to go some place warm", although visiting Newport RI by ship is tempting since we used to live there in my Navy days.

Edited by sparks1093

I understand the possible issues Boston brings to the table in the colder months, but I can't imagine it's much worse than NYC area, being generally the same climate.

From what I understand, the port in Boston cannot currently support a mega ship. Hopefully MassPort will address these issues, and maybe we can see a new mega ship in Boston. I much rather drive the few hours from Western Mass, than to NYC. Especially in the winter months.

I agree, I hope Massport gets their stuff together to make this happen. Although I have no problem Driving down to NYC for a cruise, this would save me $ I could spend on really important things ...like booze ;)

I agree, I hope Massport gets their stuff together to make this happen. Although I have no problem Driving down to NYC for a cruise, this would save me $ I could spend on really important things ...like booze ;)

Completely agree!

I hope they really give it a try. We have done Boston to Bermuda, and Boston to Canada and we are going to Bermuda on the Dawn in May, and

Boston to Canada next September. We have even done two repositioning cruises and only had to fly one way. We love the relaxation of cruising, and don't enjoy flying if we don't have to.

I have always thought there were be great interest in an Atlantic Coastal trip. Lots of great ports to choose from, Newport, NYC, Baltimore, Charlston, Florida Ports, with a stop in Bermuda. More chances to cruise from Boston and hopefully more destinations.

We wouldn't mind cold weather cruising either.

During the early part of the 20th century, steamers would go through the canal on their way to and from New York. Of course those ships were smaller than today's, but what if Massport

dredges the canal and Boston Harbor. Doing this might change the picture.

Just a thought.

Not sure how much dredging of Boston harbor would be needed. The main channel and the channel into Black Falcon is at 40-40+ feet, and Breakaway, for instance, only draws 29 feet, so there appears to be enough UKC, though they may need to work right next to the pier.

Given the Sagamore bridge with a 135' clearance (so actual ship height is about 5-6' less), nothings going to use the Cape Cod canal other than tug/barge outfits these days, certainly not a cruise ship. And this only cuts off distance if you are sailing west along the coast towards NYC. Sailing south to Bermuda or Bahamas, this would make almost no difference in distance.

I just gotta ask, where would they pile the snow? :D

Funny you say that as Black Falcon area was used as a 'snow farm' to dump piles of city snow. :D

Not sure how much dredging of Boston harbor would be needed. The main channel and the channel into Black Falcon is at 40-40+ feet, and Breakaway, for instance, only draws 29 feet, so there appears to be enough UKC, though they may need to work right next to the pier.

Given the Sagamore bridge with a 135' clearance (so actual ship height is about 5-6' less), nothings going to use the Cape Cod canal other than tug/barge outfits these days, certainly not a cruise ship. And this only cuts off distance if you are sailing west along the coast towards NYC. Sailing south to Bermuda or Bahamas, this would make almost no difference in distance.

Was it not the Cape Cod Canal where QEII hit bottom?

I recall going over the Mystic River Bridge headed to Boston and we saw QEII where she was getting temporary repairs in order to sail TA for permanent repairs. :eek: I'm guessing it was maybe 21 or so years ago.

Funny you say that as Black Falcon area was used as a 'snow farm' to dump piles of city snow. :D

Was just down there Friday, getting ready to go back to the ship, and wanted to see if there was anything left of the snow farm, but no luck, its all gone.

Was it not the Cape Cod Canal where QEII hit bottom?

I recall going over the Mystic River Bridge headed to Boston and we saw QEII where she was getting temporary repairs in order to sail TA for permanent repairs. :eek: I'm guessing it was maybe 21 or so years ago.

No, that was the shoals off Nantucket, she just kind of shaved a corner due to a "navigational error".

We don't bother with driving to NYC, when Amtrak will get us into Penn Station. Then, it's just a quick cab ride to the pier. Easy Peasy.

No, that was the shoals off Nantucket, she just kind of shaved a corner due to a "navigational error".

That's close to the area where the Andrea Doria collided with the Stockholm, in the 1950's.

The Doria went down, but the Stockholm was somewhat seaworthy.

The Royal Majesty (ex-Norwegian Majesty,Louis Majesty,Thomson Majesty) hit the Shoals off of Nantucket. It was off of Martha's Vineyard that the QEII got into trouble.

Edited by GregD

I have enjoyed all your video's, they really capture the experience of traveling from Boston to Bermuda. Thanks for sharing them with all of us on Cruise Critic.

I agree! Her videos of staterooms are the best I have seen. I've also checked out her Bermuda cruise videos, and even love the ones of the Cape and Boston. [emoji4] Keep up the great work, Chesneygirl!