If you had to pick an older ship...

JYeagersGrl

If you had to pick one of the older ships in the Carnival fleet which one would it be and why? We are looking to sail out of Tampa, Orlando or Jax. We've sailed the fascination and weren't amazed (it wasn't bad just had been on such newer ships it was blah) so I'm scared to sail an older ship. I want to book Magic but not sure we can do it with the other things we have planned.

Edited by JYeagersGrl

I can't say when it comes to Carnival, because we haven't sailed yet, but give me an older (which generally translates to smaller) ship any day of the week.

I pine for the days of 800 passenger ships, and will rarely consider sailing on a modern ship that carries more than 2,000 passengers. Sadly, I'm obviously in the minority of folks who cruise these days.

"so I'm scared to sail an older ship", what in particular are afraid of?

We loved the Elation. John Heald was our cruise director, one of the best we ever had. The eating area on the aft Lido Deck can not be beat. However, since we fell in love with balconies, we will never look back.

I'm "over" the Fantasy class entirely. If you can drive to Orlando may as well go 3 more hours to Miami and get Victory, or newer, or choose from RCI/NCL for a short cruise.

It's a heck of a drive to Orlando for us we are in Pennsylvania. Would be in Orlando for vacation. Miami with 3 kids in the car would be suicide I'm already ready to jump in front of a moving vehicle to Orlando haha.

It's a heck of a drive to Orlando for us we are in Pennsylvania. Would be in Orlando for vacation. Miami with 3 kids in the car would be suicide I'm already ready to jump in front of a moving vehicle to Orlando haha.

Okay, fair enough, did not know how long you were already in the car.

I don't know what timeframe you are going but I'd check and see ALL the ships at the ports you are willing to drive to and then start the decision process from there. For me, personally, just not interested in Fantasy class. Been there, done that, and they don't entice me any longer.

But I will caveat that with that with 3 kids costs can be a factor, so if a Fantasy class fits the budget and it is that or nothing, that's a different story. Sometimes NCL has kids sail free and they are running Epic from Port Canaveral and have some short cruises. Is you do make it to Miami, MSC occasionally runs short cruises on the Divina and kids sail free there too.

"so I'm scared to sail an older ship", what in particular are afraid of?

We loved the Elation. John Heald was our cruise director, one of the best we ever had. The eating area on the aft Lido Deck can not be beat. However, since we fell in love with balconies, we will never look back.

I am afraid of being bored. We were really bored with the lack of activities and the pools were much smaller than we had gotten used to. You couldn't move without hitting someone else and then there were the idiots playing football in the pool. The kids program really was lacking too the area was very small and they had the kids scattered all over the ship in different conference rooms.

Now I have only been on Spirit and Fantasy classes. 2012 last cruise and so itching for the newer ships. But my Paradise trip was the best and let me say...the smaller ships have happy working teams and very sweet passenger/crew ratios and it is easier to get a bunch to remember and spoil you just from being a regular nice person. My favorite cruise (not ship or even line..have not done enough and love Princess Grand Class) but my favorite cruise bar none for not best but good food, best dining room personal save your wine bottle kind of service, super spa massages, activities, evening shows and people at big reserved table was a 4 day out of Long Beach in early June on Paradise as a solo...you get what is now a "smaller ship" mass market cruise experience. Mass Market still means nice...but just catering to a broader entry and middle level spending group..not "premium or luxury". I hate those terms because it is NOT a Motel 6 or even new Comfort Inn experience...love Carnival Fantasy class well picked for lesser pure party crowds. Not Spring Break if possible, more family that teenager time, 4 days ok, 5 to 7 better.

PS..Check the upgrades your Fantasy class Port ship may have..Alchemy Bar, Cheaper to take the ship tour which folks love, and as no steak house, steak house options in main, and chef's table. Kid areas may be an issue for teens...but check out the upgrades for Camp Carnival. I loved watching a new movie then in the 2nd large entertainment lounge...so comfy and it was Australia...2009...just a great cruise.

Edited by sjn911

When you say have older ship. It is easier to think by class. Fantasy Class - I'm kind of over it too. But I would pick Elation or Paradise because they don't have the EOF next ship I would pick because I would consider Sunshine an old ship. We got used to having the variety of food options.

I'd go with the Ecstasy, if I had to choose one of the Fantasy-class ships. I had a really nice time on her, and she's had quite a few interior improvements. When I was on her, she wasn't completely renovated, but what had been done was definitely in the theme of the Breeze and not the Farcas-y colors, so it was nice and relaxing. The Serenity area was my favorite of the ones I've used, too, since it was at the stern of the ship and, shockingly, was actually pretty quiet.

I suppose Valor would be considered an older ship by now, over 10 years old, but still should feel newish. It has also been through dry dock recently, so should be up to scratch, and sails from Port Canaveral. I sailed that ship back in 2007 and liked it then, but I also have liked all the ships I ve been on.:D

Paradise out of Tampa has always appealed to me, because I am still sometimes in the area for other reasons, would love to tack on a cruise. She looks like a nice ship to me, and gets mostly good reviews, but it is also of the genre of the fascination (fantasy class), which I happen to still like, because of my Sensation cruise, but she sails now from Miami I believe.

The one from Jax is also fantasy class, and personally, I have no problem with that class of ship, or their age, I just prefer longer than 5 day cruises.

So my suggests would be Valor, from Port Canaveral, Paradise from Tampa, or the Ecstasy? from Jax. But have to say Magic would still be tops on my list, so if you can manage it, go for Magic.

The Paradise and Elation have a second pool

on 11 aft.

We've sailed many times on both those ships when they were in SoCal. Never bored. The daily activities are very similar across the line.

On the plus side, if your kids are younger a fifth can be added to a quad. It'll be very cozy.

How about the Pride out of Baltimore? Spirit class is a favorite for many.

Edited by SadieN

If you had to pick one of the older ships in the Carnival fleet which one would it be and why? We are looking to sail out of Tampa, Orlando or Jax. We've sailed the fascination and weren't amazed (it wasn't bad just had been on such newer ships it was blah) so I'm scared to sail an older ship. I want to book Magic but not sure we can do it with the other things we have planned.

I would stay home then go on an old clunker.