Shareholder Credit Denied

TahoeLady

Celebrity, Royal Carribbean Inc., denied my request for shareholder credit for my B2B2B cruises in February. This was first denial in 10 cruises. I had no idea that my cruise rate was one of their "special" rates which was not combinable with the credit. It frankly was not that special and certainly was not a bargain. I complained to a number of departments and they said too bad! At the least it should be clearer which rates they consider not combinable but also be sure to ask your travel agent what the rate is called so you can check. This was worth $750 to me and I am now a totally disgruntled customer who will not be sailing with these lines in the future. Not that they care at all!!!!! I was already booked so I am now stuck.

The shareholder rate is not combinable with ANY other offer and quite frankly pretty useless except on a repo or TA/TP cruise. I always asked in advance as I was suggested to do by Celebrity. Always told no. Have cruised 14 times with Celebrity and never ever received it. FWIW - get far more from by TA in OBC!

Agree with gopro - let it go.

We were told that ANY of the current Perks that are included in ALL bookings except maybe TAs and TPs will disqualify. This is absurd because the cost for those "perks" are really included in the fares.

I think RCI really has to rethink this, as it is getting stockholders a bit ticked off

Celebrity, Royal Carribbean Inc., denied my request for shareholder credit for my B2B2B cruises in February. This was first denial in 10 cruises. I had no idea that my cruise rate was one of their "special" rates which was not combinable with the credit. It frankly was not that special and certainly was not a bargain. I complained to a number of departments and they said too bad! At the least it should be clearer which rates they consider not combinable but also be sure to ask your travel agent what the rate is called so you can check. This was worth $750 to me and I am now a totally disgruntled customer who will not be sailing with these lines in the future. Not that they care at all!!!!! I was already booked so I am now stuck.

Another confirmation of Celebrity's obsession with cutting costs (and benefits). They now seek to find any reason to deny the shareholder's benefit. Welcome to the new world of "modern luxury".

In recent years we have found our RCI STockholder Credit to be totally worthless! The problem is we shop around for the best deals on cruises and are always successful in finding decent promotions, discounts, OBCs, etc. Celebrity, RCI and Azamara no longer allow "stacking" of credits so they always deny the stockholder credit. It is a totally different story with CCL Stock as their many companies are much more generous with credits. In fact, when we take cruises on Princess we often get so much OBC that we have money refunded at the end of our cruises.

Hank

We have owned our RCL stock long enough to remember the good old days when we got stockholders credit. But in the last few years we have found that our stockholders credit has been denied. Yes the stock has gone up since we bought it but it was nice to get the obc not to have to pay income tax on it like we will if we sell any of the stock.

WE also have CCL which own Princess, Holland American and Carnival plus a few more, and have always gotten the stockholders credit. It is only $100 for cruise 7-13 days and $250 for cruise 14 days or longer. But the stock hasn't done as well as RCL.

Edited by Bobocasey

Since we generally travel on TAs, we have been able to make good use of the shareholder credit, but I understand the frustration of those who are denied.

Not quite sure we understand what a TA has to do with the equation. We have also done many TAs (including 2 in the next few months) but this is not really relevant to stockholder credits. If you find a good deal that includes special pricing and some OBCs you are simply not going to get the stockholder credit. A good friend (and also another frequent cruiser) best summed up RCI stockholder credits by saying "if you do get the stockholder credit you have simply screwed up and paid too much for your cruise." Interesting point of view but much truth in the statement.

Hank

I can certainly understand your frustration and disappointment, but it is always a good idea to read the terms of any agreement for yourself and not just depend on the word of some salesperson, who may no longer even be employed there by the time of your cruise..

If you take the time to read the combinability restrictions, posted under

RCCL Shareholder Benefit Frequently Asked Questions

you can see that they are nothing new as they have been in effect for the past 7 years.

"Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off/wave" promotional offers, certain price programs, reservations made on a reduced rate/travel agent rate/inter-line rate and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.comand a prompt response will be forthcoming."

If uncertain about the combinability of the shareholder credit with any other offer, it would be a good idea to contact them personally to get the yes or no reply in writing, preferably from someone who signs the reply with an actual name, and not just a title like Customer Service Representative.

When booking a cruise these days, I think it is better to start out with the assumption that you are not eligible for the shareholder credit, and then you can can be pleasantly surprised if it turns out that you are eligible for it after all.

That is better than assuming you are eligible for it and then being disappointed.

A good friend (and also another frequent cruiser) best summed up RCI stockholder credits by saying "if you do get the stockholder credit you have simply screwed up and paid too much for your cruise." Interesting point of view but much truth in the statement.

LOL! Can certainly relate to that.

None of the really good deals for which we qualify are ever combinable with the shareholder credit.

Edited by varoo

Did you buy the stock for the shareholder credit or an investment? As an investment it has done pretty well.

When we purchased the stock it was much easier to receive shareholder credit on cruises and various OBCs were much more "stackable." But the stock was much lower in price too.

Agreed - I actually bought RCL thinking the credit would be a nice perk down the road. 4 cruises later I've never gotten the OBC - and as other posters mentioned, the deals were usually much better than what we'd get with the shareholder benefit. On the other hand, the share price has been a nice surprise, worth more than OBC IMO. Did not consider the TA idea tho.....

I bought at about $18 a share, have had Shareholder Credit 4 times.

Share value has increased nicely held within my RRSP so no tax implications.

Think I've done O.K.

If the only reason someone is holding the shares is for OBC probably best they move along to the next idea.

Did you buy the stock for the shareholder credit or an investment? As an investment it has done pretty well.

We purchased our stocks as an investment, and yes, it's performed well and continues to do so. It's just disappointing that X refuses to recognize their shareholders who actually cruise with them. We also have stocks in Carnival/Princess. When we sail on Princess, regardless of the other perks we have from the booking, we get $100 or so OBC as a shareholder benefit. Not a huge sum of money but it's something...better than basically being told to piss off just because you booked one of their promotions that includes drinks or what have you. I'm sure the majority of people on board a Celebrity cruise on any given day are not shareholders - how hard is it to throw back a few bucks to your investors as a "thanks for investing in us, and thanks for coming on the ship to give us more money, too!" perk?

Edited by Ginnyfyr

I own bank shares, no discount from them because I own their shares.

I own shares in Oil companies but no discount at the gas pump because of it.

I actually also own shares in a diamond mine, but last time I bought a bauble for my DW there was no discount

Why on earth should we expect a Cruise company to give us a discount on our cruise because we own their shares ?

Every nickel of OBC Celebrity "gives" has to be paid for from someplace, higher fares, lower dividends, cutbacks someplace else, it isn't free. I get enough OBC as it is, I really don't need more.

Edited by WpgCruise

I actually also own shares in a diamond mine, but last time I bought a bauble for my DW there was no discount

Why on earth should we expect a Cruise company to give us a discount on our cruise because we own their shares ?

I don't think anyone expects a discount.

However, people expect an OBC in limited circumstances because they do offer a "Shareholder benefits program."

Do any of your other holdings offer such a program? If not, why would you not see the distinction?

Not quite sure we understand what a TA has to do with the equation. We have also done many TAs (including 2 in the next few months) but this is not really relevant to stockholder credits. If you find a good deal that includes special pricing and some OBCs you are simply not going to get the stockholder credit. A good friend (and also another frequent cruiser) best summed up RCI stockholder credits by saying "if you do get the stockholder credit you have simply screwed up and paid too much for your cruise." Interesting point of view but much truth in the statement.

Hank

Apparently the poster you quoted did not have any Celebrity promotions attached to their booking.

We too have been able to use Shareholder Credit on cruises, without any promotions.

We have probably received the credit on 30-40% of the cruises we take. Since I never know if it's applicable, I always apply. We once travelled with friends who had exactly the same rate and perks...I got the credit and they didn't...

My advice....always apply. If they say no, just accept it....but you never know.

Every nickel of OBC Celebrity "gives" has to be paid for from someplace, higher fares, lower dividends, cutbacks someplace else, it isn't free. I get enough OBC as it is, I really don't need more.

The examples you state have nothing to do with cruise lines, but if CCL can allow stacking OBC and pay dividends, and sell cruises at lower rates, why can't the other cruise lines do it ?? Is it just corporate greed ??

A good friend (and also another frequent cruiser) best summed up RCI stockholder credits by saying...

"if you do get the stockholder credit you have simply screwed up and paid too much for your cruise."

Interesting point of view but much truth in the statement.

Hank

November 2012 Celebrity Constellation, 15 nights for $609pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

April 2013 Celebrity Silhouette, 15 nights for $599pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

November 2013 Celebrity Reflection, 15 nights for $449pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

April 2014 Celebrity Silhouette, 15 nights for $599pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

September 2014 Celebrity Century, 23 nights for $799pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

October 2014 Celebrity Reflection, 15 nights for $649pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

April 2015 Celebrity Silhouette, 14 nights for $699pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

November 2015 Celebrity Constellation 15 nights for $799pp... with $250 shareholder OBC.

I don't think I screwed up... OR paid too much. :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

I'll admit I only bought my RCI stock because we were going on a RC transatlantic cruise and we received a $250 OBC. I also received another $50 OBC for a 3 night RC cruise a few months later. I was denied the credit for the two Celebrity cruises we took when we owned the stock. The stock also did amazingly well for the period we owned it. Bought around $23 and sold at over $80 less than 2 years later. I was happy.