Lobster on Norwegian

mmwcpt

Apparently that's not even an option any more as of last week. The only lobster that I have seen confirmed on board is the lobster roll from the ocean blue window on the -away class ships after the change, but some have said certain specialties still had some.

I'm sailing in August of 2017 on the Pearl. I heard a rumor that they no longer have "lobster night" and my only choice is to go to a specialty restaurant. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Lobster night was gone several years ago. Nothing new there.

Lobsters had been removed from all specialty dining room menus on the Dawn as of three weeks ago. Lobster was available in the MDR for an upcharge on selected nights.

Edited by BirdTravels

On the Breakaway last week no more lobster in Cagneys, Le Bistro, or teppanyaki. Also I ordered a lobster roll from the outside Ocean Blue window and they actually tried to give me rock shrimp in the lobster roll. I questioned them and they claimed that it was a Maine lobster until I told them that I was a chef. They then quietly told me that they will no longer have the Maine lobster. I got the impression that they were going to continue to try and pass this off as a New England lobster roll.

Also I seemed to remember the roll being $15, it is now $9.75. Can someone confirm the older $15 price?

Technically a rock shrimp is a type of lobster, but it is small and tastes more like a shrimp. It in now way compares to a cold water lobster.

We were on Getaway a couple weeks ago and lobster was offered for upcharge. They advertised it as Maine lobster. When questioned ,they do not have a tank for live lobsters, so how do they keep them?? Would not seem they would be really fresh.

We were on Getaway a couple weeks ago and lobster was offered for upcharge. They advertised it as Maine lobster. When questioned ,they do not have a tank for live lobsters, so how do they keep them?? Would not seem they would be really fresh.

They have them in a mesh bag hanging in the ocean. Can't get much fresher.

And I eat lobster. I like a good sense of humor some folks on here are too serious.

But I do believe that the lobster is in the cockroach family so I see no problem in eating as may as I want.

I love doing lobster fest in key west I know it is not as good as main lobster but its fun diving for them you get 10 per person per day the first 5 days then 5 per person per day after. We go to Marathon key it has the best lobster pots and the most grab.

All though the camp site you smell lobster boil. that being said we have to freeze some you can not keep all of them alive. And unless your a land seafood restaurant that sell them for $40 each I doubt many keep them alive.

Lobster is actually not the best thing out of the sea it is actually real common. So all you main lobster snobs need to try Alaskan Colossal crab legs, ling cod, rock bass and Halibut. I have relatives that ship that stuff to me every season it beats the heck out of main lobster. Not cheap though.

"Maine" lobster. As in the state of Maine. ;)

I agree though. I love lobster and pretty much any fresh seafood.

• 6 months later...

Just finished cruise Canary Islands Spirit did five speciality dining BELIEVE me no lobster! I fear this line is heading to Carnival food.

Could they just serve it in a speciality restaurant? We were told they took off 4 months ago.

The food was pretty bad.

Back to Celebrity for us

Forgive me for saying this, but what is with the lobster? People are acting like it's the end of the world not having it served on a cruise ship. I am grateful for all of the food served on a cruise. Nicely presented, prepared properly, and no dishes to do! If I can't have lobster for dinner, no big deal.

I have said this before on other threads but here goes again. I am a chef, don't get the warm water "lobster" thing, by the time it gets to you on the ship all it tastes like is the butter you dip it in, it is not lobster, Lobsta is cold water, has 2 claws in the front that you can eat and comes from the Northeast, this is the only real Lobsta. Just do not get the fascination with the warm water variety.

Just finished cruise Canary Islands Spirit did five speciality dining BELIEVE me no lobster! I fear this line is heading to Carnival food. Could they just serve it in a speciality restaurant? We were told they took off 4 months ago.The food was pretty bad. Back to Celebrity for us

Since Carnival still serves lobster free one night in the MDR on 5+ night cruises and has lobster on their Steakhouse menu (below) I guess what you are saying is a good thing.

• 14 oz. Broiled Prime New York Strip Loin Steak
  • 18 oz. Grilled Prime Cowboy Steak
  • 18 oz. Spice-Rubbed Prime Ribeye Steak
  • 9 oz. Broiled Filet Mignon
  • Grilled Filet Mignon with Maine Lobster Tail
  • Broiled Lobster Tail with drawn butter
  • Broiled Rosemary Infused Chicken
  • Double-cut Grilled Lamb Chops
  • Maine Lobster Ravioli
  • Grilled Fillet of Fish from the Market

Forgive me for saying this, but what is with the lobster? People are acting like it's the end of the world not having it served on a cruise ship. I am grateful for all of the food served on a cruise. Nicely presented, prepared properly, and no dishes to do! If I can't have lobster for dinner, no big deal.

Well it is considered a delicacy that many people enjoy. For those who have cruised for any length of time it was a staple on the cruise ship menu until recently that corresponded with the formal evenings. So...obviously many enjoyed that and were less than pleased when it disappeared.

I guess I have been spoiled as I am a New England girl and have always enjoyed lobster whenever I wanted it. To me, it isn't a big deal. but I do see your point.

Yup....for those of us who live away from your region and it moves to something that you pretty much find at the nicer restaurants you may only visit for special occasions.

I saw a show on the history of people eating lobsters, it was pretty amazing. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

In North America, the American lobster did not achieve popularity until the mid-19th century, when New Yorkers and Bostonians developed a taste for it, and commercial lobster fisheries only flourished after the development of the lobster smack,[28] a custom-made boat with open holding wells on the deck to keep the lobsters alive during transport.[29] Prior to this time, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Massachusetts, and the Canadian Maritimes, and servants specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week.[30] Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates.[31] American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait, and until well into the 20th century, it was not viewed as more than a low-priced canned staple food.[32]

And that was the cold water lobsters! I do like them, warm or cold water varieties. I also love crawfish which I always thought of as small lobsters.

Back in April, 2014 on the Pearl I filmed this video.

BwaAL5pWs8c