Ebola Virus

Ok and point me to one specific case that has been documented to have spread by touch another surface ,(you will not find one)..All documented cases are via direct contact with patients fluids or caring for patient.Yes it can stay active on a surface for a certain time under the right conditions but there is not one documented case of this scenario to date.I would not worry if I were on a ship with a CONFIRMED case of ebola.Practice good hygiene as you should always do and your chances are almost zero of being infected UNLESS you have DIRECT contact with the patient.Please dont add to the panic its already out of hand.

Prove it hasn't. There are over 8000 cases, over 4000 dead. The WHO says actual numbers may be 2.5 times higher due to under-reporting. I doubt they were all bleeding on each other.

The cdc must think the virus on surfaces is a threat, they list it as a source. They decontaminate infected areas in full hazmat suits. Why waste the time and money if there is no risk?

Ok and point me to one specific case that has been documented to have spread by touch another surface ,(you will not find one)..All documented cases are via direct contact with patients fluids or caring for patient.Yes it can stay active on a surface for a certain time under the right conditions but there is not one documented case of this scenario to date.I would not worry if I were on a ship with a CONFIRMED case of ebola.Practice good hygiene as you should always do and your chances are almost zero of being infected UNLESS you have DIRECT contact with the patient.Please dont add to the panic its already out of hand.

How did the NBC cameraman contract Ebola? Surely he wasn't taking direct care of patients. He probably contracted it by contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before any person had ebola, it had to be picked up somewhere. It didn't just happen. Just because documentation does not exist, that doesn't make a falsehood.

You do realise, if you watch the news, that over 250 care givers who have worn protective suits have died so far in Africa from this ebola. This to me says this disease is a bit easier to acquire than we are being told.

Before any person had ebola, it had to be picked up somewhere. It didn't just happen. Just because documentation does not exist, that doesn't make a falsehood.

You do realise, if you watch the news, that over 250 care givers who have worn protective suits have died so far in Africa from this ebola. This to me says this disease is a bit easier to acquire than we are being told.

I do find it fascinating how they go on about how hard it is to catch it, then they don the full body rubber suit with respirator.

All those that tout the talking points, should open there homes up to infected people. The head of the CDC says you don't need full coverage PPE's but is filmed wearing them.

And people wonder why there is mistrust?

How did the NBC cameraman contract Ebola? Surely he wasn't taking direct care of patients. He probably contracted it by contamination.

You are so right.

Wonder how he contracted it.

What dont we know.

Sea Ya

He caught it in Africa....they aren't and can't handle it there like they do here.

He caught it in Africa....they aren't and can't handle it there like they do here.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-did-nigeria-quash-its-ebola-outbreak-so-quickly/

"The U.S. outbreak so far has many similarities to the one in Nigeria but "countries such as the U.S. have some lessons to learn," Fasina says. "Infectious disease is the same everywhere but the management may differ," leading to vastly different outcomes."

Edited by marci22

I thought it went from bats to monkeys and then to people that eat the monkeys and we know the rest of the story.

Luvtheships, you're exactly correct. I was going to post this info but you beat me to it. :)

Elf

Here's some background behind the cameraman Ashoka Mukpo's infection and Dr. Nancy Snyderman's.

PRINCETON — Signs posted on kiosks in downtown Princeton encouraging residents to keep an eye out for NBC news chief medical correspondent Dr. Nancy Snyderman while she remains under an Ebola quarantine at her Princeton home disappeared overnight.

The fliers included Snyderman’s address and children’s names and were posted on community kiosks, which serve as a open forum for community announcements.

Snyderman has drawn criticism for violating a voluntary quarantine after returning from covering Ebola in Liberia. She has since apologized after the quarantine was made mandatory by the New Jersey Department of Health.

Princeton Administrator Bob Bruschi said Thursday that the town was made aware of the signs telling people to watch for Snyderman sightings, and would take no action to remove them, calling it a “a freedom of speech issue.”

When contacted on Friday, Bruschi said he was unaware they had disappeared.

Councilwoman Jo Butler said she was in town around 10 a.m. Friday at the corner of Witherspoon and Nassau streets and wanted to see the signs for herself, but realized they were gone.

Princeton resident Dr. Nancy Snyderman, NBC's chief medical correspondent, violated the voluntary isolation agreement she made after she was exposed to Ebola. (Courtesy of Peter Kramer | NBC)

Nicole Mulvaney | Times of Trenton

“I went looking for them and didn’t see them,” Butler said. “It seems pretty hateful, and this isn’t a community that likes that sort of thing. Frankly I’m glad they’re gone.”

Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told CNN earlier this week Snyderman, 62, did not put the public in danger by breaking a voluntary isolation agreement she made after exposed to Ebola.

“If she was not sick, she was not putting others at risk,” Frieden said on CNN's “Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer." She remains symptom-free; the virus can only spread when someone exhibits symptoms.

The signs included phone numbers for Princeton's police department and the New Jersey health department, which ordered the mandatory quarantine for Snyderman and her crew last week.

Snyderman offered an apology Monday night for violating the agreement she made with the CDC, state and local officials.

"As a health professional I know that we have no symptoms and pose no risk to the public, but I am deeply sorry for the concerns this episode caused," she said.

The mandatory quarantine is in effect until Oct. 22.

Ashoka Mukpo, a freelance cameraman with the NBC crew, was infected with the disease Oct. 1 and is recovering in Nebraska. He contracted Ebola when he was washing down a vehicle that had transported “bodies that perished from the disease,” Princeton Health Officer Jeffrey Grosser said Monday night

Health Officer Jeffrey Grosser said Monday night. [/b][/b]

Those exposed to the virus develop symptoms two days to three weeks after exposure, according to the CDC. It is transmitted through contact with blood and bodily fluids.

The Princeton police and health departments are handling the situation in Snyderman's neighborhood, Bruschi previously said.

"More important than the message the signs are giving is the fact that we have full cooperation and compliance with the quarantine," Bruschi said. "We have both the health department and our police department monitoring the matter and it is under control."

Handling it here seems to not be too much different than in Africa. Here in America one infected patient dies, two care givers (that we know of) infected. They (caregivers) even had protective suits on. What about the public, none of us even have a suit to wear, even worn improperly.

Really... All it takes is one suicidal sicko ebola infected person to raise all fury.

I'm cruising next week, then again on a Quantum B2B in December, again in January, and again in February. I will drive to each debarkation port.

The only cruises I am considering canceling are 3 in Europe in April/May….NOT for fear of catching Ebola but rather the mess that might develop at the airports by the time I have to fly BACK to the U.S.

If I cancel those I'll probably substitute cruises originating in the U.S. so I can drive to/from the port.

BUT, if everything goes to hell in a hand basket I'll change my mind. I can always stay home and read Cruise Critic.:p

My other option is to cancel all my cruises and fly to St.Martin and spend the winter on the beach.

St Martin has a dengue epidemic, and CHIKUNGUNYA FEVER(?) so is a beach vacation safe? :eek:

None of the following is meant to be political, just to show you how 'little' the Ebola scare is! Lets all get back to happy cruising!:D

On average 92 people die everyday in America in traffic accidents! Will anyone stop driving? NO!

On average 98 people die everyday from the flu in America! Will this stop Americans from leaving their houses? NO!

On average you run a 70% higher risk of heart disease if you have poor Dental Health in America! Will this make people brush their teeth? NO!

On average 205 people die everyday from Alcohol in America! Will this stop them from drinking? NO!

On average over 1200 people die everyday from smoking illnesses in America! Will this stop people from smoking? NO!

On average 289 people are shot everyday, and 87 die from guns in America! Are we going to ban guns? NO!

We could go on, but seriously, it seems a lot of people on this thread are over reacting when you look at the big picture in the numbers! The overwhelming odds are you'll be fine, and will enjoy your cruise just like you always have!:D

To everyone else, have a happy cruise!:D

Edited by American Bear

To put everyone at ease Royal Caribbean is going to name the 3rd Oasis class ship 'Ebola of the Seas'.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Makes sense.:D

I guess African Queen is out of the running for the new ship's name.;)

I am also quite interested in how this ship is received when it gets back

If you feel there could be a problem flying back in from Europe which could certainly turn out to be correct

Then why would you think a cruise ships return would be any easier?

I realize a ship is a captive audience that left all together the week before whereas a plane is not

But the reentry still is the same isn't it?

You left the country and now you are returning

Lets wait and see how the magic is received

I was going to answer that, but my goodness, you just can't let up on someone (especially on the Carnival board), therefore: not gonna do it.

I'm beginning to think that we have a better chance of epidemic and global extinction from the zombie apocalypse before ebola ends humanity.....I also think this entire ebola story has been blown way out of proportion just to make headlines. As mentioned, more people are in contact with and die from the flu virus every year than from ebola. The flu virus is also much easier to spread. Lately it seems that ebola has become the new Norovirus of the cruise industry. Relax, and use common sense and I would hope that most people will have a negligible chance if contracting ebola.