how much is handicapped parking at cruise ports.

But how many times someone in authority there to compare your DL to your parking tag as you were getting in or out of the vehicle to make sure the numbers matched?

it only happens when people call in and pitch fits about perceived misuse. most would rather be passive aggressive and leave nasty notes rather than wait for the Manager or whoever to come out plus wait for the 'evil doer' to get back to the car.

Hi All,

I am from the UK and also have a Blue Badge. I have travelled by car all over the states but mostly in California. I have used my Blue Badge to park and never had any problem about it not being recognised by authorities. I suppose a little bit of common sense goes a long way.

The British Blue Badge has your photograph on it which reduces abuse and is accepted all over the European Community.

I don't know if it was the same over your side of the pond but disabled concessions were always given because disabled persons historically had jobs that wouldn't pay as much as able bodied persons. This is slowly changing to the better.

I also think that "free parking" at cruise ports should be a thing of the past, if you can afford to go on a cruise then you can afford to pay for it.

Pete

well I do not have a DL so how would NY handle that?

My guess is, NY would assign you an ID number. That's what Florida does. It's the same number that would be your DL if you were to get one. That way, if police ran the number, it would come back to you.

If you don't have a DL then you don't need a placard since you won't be parking a car in a handicapped spot.

Ha! Good point. :D

Edited by Aquahound

As the original post was "How much is handicapped parking at cruise ports?"...unless someone has an answer pertaining to that question...maybe it's time to just close this thread and start one relative to "handicap parking" even though that's generic enough to have NOTHING to do with cruising!

If you don't have a DL then you don't need a placard since you won't be parking a car in a handicapped spot.

so I am supposed to spend my life homebound?! no thank you. I did that often enough when mr spook was deployed for 6 months at a time.

I find your response to be insulting at best. newsflash: plenty of disabilities preclude people being able to have a DL and to insinuate that those of us who cannot/do not drive should not be allowed out and about is beyond reprehensible

This is such an ignorant comment. I have a DP on my license plate AND I have a placard because it is possible that I might be in someone else's car. Really near sighted to you to assume that because someone can't drive they should never ever leave their home.

Not your shiniest moment.

And why would that person NOT need a placard? They can still ride in a car and have great mobility issues just as a driver may have. My friends mother has a placard that my friend keeps in her car because she is the one who transports her mother. If someone has a side lift in their vehicle they definitely need a handicap spot. More room is needed to utilize a lift. Park in a regular spot and you could get blocked in.

• 2 weeks later...

My nephew has quadriplegic paralysis, lives all day in a motorized wheelchair, and owns a van with a lift. He no longer had a drivers' license since his injury 12 years ago, but employs aides who dress him, prepare his food, etc, and drive him to/from his company and elsewhere. Sometimes family members drive him, too.

His van needs access to large handicapped spaces that allow space for his lift and chair.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I hate to ask the stupid question, but why should ports provide complimentary parking for handicapped people? Accommodations for handicapped people, yes, definitely. But why complimentary parking?

Because it then removes the requirement for having any designated parking spots. It is a common tactic for municipalities.

Interesting. Now I have to go check mine to see if the same is true in California. Excellent way to catch cheaters.

The OP has asked an interesting question but I can honestly say it has never occurred to me to go to a pay parking lot and expect to get it free. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask. The amount of times I've parked at parking meters wouldn't save me enough to give it thought either.

The perk is a close parking spot because you have mobility issues, it is not a "free ride". Get it, free ride. Okay I know you guys are laughing with me, not at me. Right? :D

The places that offer "free" parking is the way they accommodate individuals with disabilities and do not need to offer any marked spots.

The best way to answer the orginal question is to tell that poster to look at the cruise port's web page.

Example, at Port of Miami, you need a lift or some other attachment to the car to park free. A handicapped plate or placard allows you to park in that spot, but you pay the full rate

The best way to answer the orginal question is to tell that poster to look at the cruise port's web page.

Example, at Port of Miami, you need a lift or some other attachment to the car to park free. A handicapped plate or placard allows you to park in that spot, but you pay the full rate

And that's because the lift equipped vehicles need specific spots that might not be available so they can park anywhere and since they don't pay, they can't claim ADA violations

And that's because the lift equipped vehicles need specific spots that might not be available so they can park anywhere and since they don't pay, they can't claim ADA violations

What kind of lift are you talking about that needs a specific space?

My car has a lift on the back of it for hubby's mobility scooter. Doesn't require any specific space. And many times we don't take up a handicapped spot even though the car has a special license plate on it for that.

What kind of lift are you talking about that needs a specific space?

My car has a lift on the back of it for hubby's mobility scooter. Doesn't require any specific space. And many times we don't take up a handicapped spot even though the car has a special license plate on it for that.

Many vehicles have side lifts.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if a lift needs to be permanently installed on a car to meet the parking exemption? We have a portable lift for my husband that we use both for the car and in the house. It is not actually installed on the car but my husband cannot get into the car without it.

Does anyone know if a lift needs to be permanently installed on a car to meet the parking exemption? We have a portable lift for my husband that we use both for the car and in the house. It is not actually installed on the car but my husband cannot get into the car without it.

I would call the Port and ask them specifically:

Port Everglades

1850 Eller Drive

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Contact e-mail addresses:

Cruise: PortEvergladesCruise@broward.org

Dante B. Fascell Port of Miami

1015 North America Way, 2nd Floor

Miami, Florida 33132

Phone: 305-347-5515

Fax: 305-347-4852

portofmiami@miamidade.gov

And at PortMiami or Port Everglades you must request the fee waiver for wheelchair vans when you arrive; if you wait until you leave to point out that you had parked a modified vehicle you will have to pay. Unfortunately actually finding an available handicapped parking space is the big obstacle--it is due to such rampant fraudulent use that free parking for just having a blue hang tag is no longer the rule in Florida (legislature repealed the statute requiring it way back in 1996).

There certainly should be a reasonable number of handicapped slots - as well as wide slots to accommodate modified vehicles - and there should be sufficient monitoring - with adequate penalties for misuse - but there does not appear to be any logical reason for such parking to be free.