If i move your towel...

Thebosn1

I see a lot of people on CC and other places complaining about chair hogs, who come out and put a towel on a chair in a good spot by the pool in the morning and then don't come back until after lunch or whatever. People also cry that the staff does not police these acts of rudeness, and that it puts a negative blotch on their vacation.

This confuses me. If I see towels and flipflops on a chair that I want, and I saw it sitting there since that morning and it has not moved, I have always just moved it. I would never touch anyone's things if I wasn't sure they were being rude by leaving it there all morning, but I'm telling you right now that if I see a buch of chairs "reserved" by a towel since breakfast time, I'm moving the suff. I have done it before and the folks nver said a word to me when they finally showed up.

I think we need to make the most of our vacation, and part of that is not relying on the staff to take care of rude fellow cruisers. There are just too many for the staff to police.

I'm wondering if any people that try to hold chairs this way have had their stuff moved, and if so how did you handle it?

How do you know a towel or flip flops, etc. has been in a chair for hours with nobody ever returning to it unless you're nearby watching? Which would mean you must of already found a seat anywsy. No? As far as I know you can have a chair all day long so long as you return to it at least every 45 minutes. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't sit near the pool.

On one of our cruises we went down to the pool area and were using 1 chair, that we had only had for about a half an hour. My husband went to grab and ice cream, and I went to the bar for a soda, I was gone no more than 5 minutes, and when I came back my stuff was on the ground, and someone was in the chair. I asked them to please give our chair back, as we were using it, and it was inappropriate for them to put my things on the ground. She proceeded to yell at me and tell me I was a chair hog, and hadn't been there all day, and that I should be ashamed of myself for tying up a chair that I was not going to use, blah blah blah. I pointed out that I was wet, my towel was soaked(was now on the ground), and my book(now on the ground) was still open to the page I had been reading and it was wet from my touch, which would not last long in the heat. She got an attitude and stormed away, which was fine by me. There are ways to handle it politely, but most people get defensive and rude. I will generally just find another area if I can't find an empty chair.

Edited by ASchaff

Not for a chair, but we moved handwritten 'Saved' napkins from a booth in the upper part of a Fantasy class showroom. There were at least 8 napkins there, couldn't at least one person have waited in the booth? In our experience sharing doesn't occur until all other options are taken.

Edited by SadieN

I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT PEOPLE THAT ARE CHAIR HOGS..THEY ARE THE RUDE ONES...and sometimes I have seen people move their stuff and by the time they get to their chair(chair hogs)...many people have sat there..so who knows who moved it in the first place

...I think sometimes they set their clocks to put there towels on the chairs and go back to bed..

welcome-aboard-vector-background-plate-lifebuoy-inscription-50347452.jpg

I sat down in a chair shortly after I saw a Carnival employee remove a towel from it. After about half an hour, I got into use the restroom and left my towel and book behind. When I came back (seriously 5 minutes later), a man was sitting on my towel and my book was under the chair. When I told him he was in my chair, he started screaming at me about being a chair hog and how I hadn't been there all day. I wasn't going to argue so I asked for my items back and was more than happy to let him keep the chair. He refused and said I should consider it my "chair hog tax" and continued cursing and telling me how awful I was. My husband was at the pool with my daughter and he came over to see what was happening. The man got up from his chair, threw the towel in the air and stormed away ranting. It was awful! And I hadn't even done anything wrong! I can understand, to an extent, that he had probably seen a towel there all day and didn't know the employee had removed it so someone else could use the chair. But, I never just assume it's a chair hog and remove items myself because of this.

If you watch an empty lounger for an hour or more, I think it's fine to move the items. If you don't know how long someone has been gone, I think it's fine to move an item like shoes and be prepared to graciously vacate the seat if the person returns.

As for how people react, though, you never know. At a resort pool, I sat on the only completely empty lounger. A group came back from lunch and was very angry because they believed I had moved a hat from that lounger to a nearby lounger. I hadn't actually moved the hat, but they would not listen and were so confrontational that I eventually just walked away. :eek:

I think it's a very touchy subject. I understand both sides because I've been on both sides.

On our second cruise we were on Princess' private island and we went into the ocean for a swim and when we came back all of our stuff was gone and people were using our chairs. They refused to give them back. We had to take our stuff and find new chairs. It's wasn't worth fighting over. My husband and I literally went swimming for maybe 15 minutes? Personally I thought that was really rude. We cruise as a couple and don't have anyone to watch our beach bag while We are gone and although there was nothing of value in the bag, I found it very disrespectful. We cruise as a couple and should be able to leave our bag for 15 minutes to swim in the ocean together... We weren't being chair hogs! We had been in those chairs all day!

But I've also been on the other side of the chair hog situation where it's impossible to find a chair and there's plenty of chairs just with towels and whatever else on them. But since that's happened to me, I won't move someone's stuff.

Edited by kelkel2

In all honesty it is worth all the stress for a chair?:confused:

And no I do not use the pool chairs either.........

No, I don't think it is worth the stress or the confrontation. I would just as soon lay in the shade up on serenity (if I can find a chair haha). My wife, however, likes to get blasted by the sun for a couple hours.

I would never move anything unless I was positive it was just there for hours to save a seat, and I would never allow anything to escalate. I just think instead of being pissed off and miserable about it, we can just handle it ourselves.

One exception to that would be GROUPS. Groups traveling together can be obnoxious enough, if they start blocking off entire sections of chairs, we may have a problem...:D

It is difficult. Just a few spoil it and it turns other people into chair hogs. On Princess many were leaving towels, books etc. Before going off for an excursion when in port. I don't know what the answer is but there should be vigilant crew to work out some policy.

Not worth arguing even one minute while on vacation over a lounge seat. Or any other seat. I'm not moving people's things period. But again, I'm also not interested in being by the pool. I can still enjoy the pool activities a little back and up from it. And I definitely don't have time to be monitoring chairs. if that's how people want to spent their time, go ahead.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

It's the law of the playground (sometimes law of the jungle). He (or she) who wants it most and is willing to defend their territory will get it. Yes it can get ugly, but that's life. We saw a great "seat save showdown" in the comedy club once. It was so bad the comedian actually called out the woman trying to save the seats. She was "boo"ed by the whole club. It was epic.

In my opinion confrontation or removing someone's belongings is not worth it. Could lead to the argument getting physical resulting in getting kicked off the cruise and banned for life from Carnival. All this for a chair??

Maybe Carnival should implement lounge rental? Not something I would like to see happen, but since this seems to be a huge deal of discontent amongst many passengers, it may go in that direction.

Edited by clhayes

I own a deck chair/lounge from the SS United States. One interesting thing about it and many other chairs of that period and other ships is that there is a small card frame attached to the upper right on the chair.

What was inserted there was a card with the passenger's name on it. And, yes, you PAID to reserve the chair for your crossing / cruise. There was a steward who managed this.

Now, I am not saying that all chairs should be handled this way, but since many see the need to sit near the pool, here is a revived profit center for the cruise lines. What would the cost be to reserve a deck chair for a cruise today?

Let the cruise lines decide, but I would say $10 per chair per day would be reasonable.

Thus, you have a section of reserved chairs that are paid for, and too bad if they remain empty for the duration. You will not sit in them if you have not paid for them.

Let the flames begin, BUT, this was practiced before, why not now?

ssd6.JPG

Edited by loubetti

Personally I stay away from the pool area (it's usually a jungle) and visit the serenity area. If its full I will retreat to my balcony and "Relax" there. No need for stress, its a cruise and you are meant to enjoy your time on board.

Maybe Carnival should implement lounge rental? Not something I would like to see happen, but since this seems to be a huge deal of discontent amongst many passengers, it may go in that direction.

Haha right? Or have assigned times for different passengers. I can hear it now. "I'm PLATINUM and I was not able to get the exact lounge chair I wanted for my grandson."

It's the law of the playground (sometimes law of the jungle). He (or she) who wants it most and is willing to defend their territory will get it. Yes it can get ugly, but that's life. We saw a great "seat save showdown" in the comedy club once. It was so bad the comedian actually called out the woman trying to save the seats. She was "boo"ed by the whole club. It was epic.

Was this by any chance on the Breeze 7/5/14 sailing?

lol

We saw the SAME thing.:D:D

Security was called. It was HYSTERICAL. And the woman that came to claim the "saved" seat REFUSED to budge.

The seat SAVER, her husband showed up and was humiliated. His wife was acting like a 2 year old.

Ahhhhh....almost better than the comedian.:D:D

How hard is it to ask others sitting nearby, "Excuse me, is anyone using this chair?"....if they say no...sit in it...if they say yes, then move along!

Did I describe a situation that is anything at all like that? Don't make my comment to be something it is not. I don't go hunting for chairs with stuff on them so that i can move it. I'm not looking for a problem at all, I'm on vacation.

I'm just saying if you are being blatantly ignorant, I will move your stuff if I have to. i would have to be positive the stuff was not in use, like if I saw it after breakfast and noticed it didn't move and it was after lunch. And if it was going to be a problem I'll go sit some place else.

People are constantly complaining about ignorant things that rule breakers do. Kids in serenity, unsupervised kids, chair hogs, I'm just saying I will take care of things myself if I need to.

On our last Breeze cruise, we were lying by the pool for about 2 hours, and we saw them walking around putting stickers on peoples towels.

Well, DH and I decided to go grab some drinks to bring back to the chairs.

In the 8 minutes we were gone, some OBNOXIOUS woman claimed our seats.

Yes, there was a sticker on there, from EIGHT minutes ago. Not 40.

DH LOST it on her. And she gave it right back to him.:eek::eek:

Needless to say, she stomped off with nice expletives for DH.:D:D

Unreal.

You really can't win either way.