If i move your towel...

Thebosn1

Last year on Adventure of the seas there was a crew member who would leave a post it under the towel with the time the lounger was empty....If it was still empty next time he passed and more than 30 mins had passed he removed the towels....fair I thought.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

That's great. I think if I find out a crew member is doing that, I would try to get his name so I can fill out a "consummate host" card.

And it's a good point about why some of us need to be by the pool -- if we have kids in there, a parent needs to be supervising. Otherwise I would want to be in the shade.

Just like in my apartment building laundry room, if the dryer is done and you don't come back for your clothes in a few minutes and there's no other dryer - your clothes are coming out and mine are going in. You're not sitting in that seat for ages, and there's no where else i want to sit, your stuff is being moved. Deal with it.

Edited by Tura Lura

I moved a book once. I had been walking around the Promenade Deck and noticed it "saving" a chair. When I had gone around several laps, I decided to sit and enjoy a little bit of reading from a magazine I had with me. No one came back to try to claim the chair in the half hour or so I used it.

Just like in my apartment building laundry room, if the dryer is done and you don't come back for your clothes in a few minutes and there's no other dryer - your clothes are coming out and mine are going in. You're not sitting in that seat for ages, and there's no where else i want to sit, your stuff is being moved. Deal with it.

I never remove clothes that aren't dry, add more time and if I remove clothes I fold them while mine are drying. I would hope someone would do the same for me!

Chair hogging is a while different thing! Those folks should be made to walk the plank :)

I never remove clothes that aren't dry, add more time and if I remove clothes I fold them while mine are drying. I would hope someone would do the same for me!

Chair hogging is a while different thing! Those folks should be made to walk the plank :)

Wow. You aren't from Brooklyn :). The clothes go in the rolling basket thingy. I don't fold other people's clothes! Be there when the dryer's finished, there's even an app for that ! :)

On one of our cruises we went down to the pool area and were using 1 chair, that we had only had for about a half an hour. My husband went to grab and ice cream, and I went to the bar for a soda, I was gone no more than 5 minutes, and when I came back my stuff was on the ground, and someone was in the chair. I asked them to please give our chair back, as we were using it, and it was inappropriate for them to put my things on the ground. She proceeded to yell at me and tell me I was a chair hog, and hadn't been there all day, and that I should be ashamed of myself for tying up a chair that I was not going to use, blah blah blah. I pointed out that I was wet, my towel was soaked(was now on the ground), and my book(now on the ground) was still open to the page I had been reading and it was wet from my touch, which would not last long in the heat. She got an attitude and stormed away, which was fine by me. There are ways to handle it politely, but most people get defensive and rude. I will generally just find another area if I can't find an empty chair.

You would not have this problem if you and DH would take turns getting your stuff... that is what we would do. It was your fault if you both left the chairs empty. I hardly use chairs at the pool but if I did I would not go off and expect to save the chairs.

You would not have this problem if you and DH would take turns getting your stuff... that is what we would do. It was your fault if you both left the chairs empty. I hardly use chairs at the pool but if I did I would not go off and expect to save the chairs.

It's perfectly okay to leave your things to get a soda, ice cream, whatever as long as you are back in 30 minutes. One person should not have to stay behind. That is not my definition of chair hog.

I'm the one sitting in the lounger next to the empty one being held with a towel. I encourage anyone and everyone walking by to help themselves to that seat if it's been abandoned for 30 minutes. I'll be happy to vouch for the availability of said open chair to anyone coming back an hour later with attitude, wanting that chair back... Us non chair hogs have to look out for eachother;)

^^this

Unless our kids are with us and in the pool and need to watch them we go up a deck and find chairs by the railing and turn them around to face the ocean. Always lots of chairs available up there.:)

I think chair hogs lose their sense of time on cruises. They all say they were gone for 5 minutes when it has really been 2 hours. Get a $10 watch people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Confession time (don't hate/flame me): First cruse was just hubby and I. Went to breakfast on the sea day and then out to the upper deck. Got 2 loungers. DH went back to cabin to change into swimsuit and get book. Said he'd be right back. I spent the next hour telling folks, "DH is just getting dressed in cabin, he'll be right back". After and hour, I left (and did not leave stuff on chairs) and went to find him-he'd fallen asleep when he sat down to change-"I just laid down for a minute" says he. Guess he really needed a vacation. I know I was technically a chair hog but really didn't intend to be one. :(:(

Edited by newbiecruiser09

Confession time (don't hate/flame me): First cruse was just hubby and I. Went to breakfast on the sea day and then out to the upper deck. Got 2 loungers. DH went back to cabin to change into swimsuit and get book. Said he'd be right back. I spent the next hour telling folks, "DH is just getting dressed in cabin, he'll be right back". After and hour, I left (and did not leave stuff on chairs) and went to find him-he'd fallen asleep when he sat down to change-"I just laid down for a minute" says he. Guess he really needed a vacation. I know I was technically a chair hog but really didn't intend to be one. :(:(

You get a pass even with me on that one and I am probably the biggest chair hog hater in the world.:D

Edited by Karysa

I think chair hogs lose their sense of time on cruises. They all say they were gone for 5 minutes when it has really been 2 hours. Get a $10 watch people.

I seriously doubt that's the case with some people There's been a few (not talking about newbiecruiser above) who have posted that they went to eat lunch or have a spa treatment and felt that they were entitled to have their chair they had "reserved" upon return. I'm guessing those who get to the pool deck at 7am with chairs and books to leave on chairs don't intend to be gone for only five minutes.

Would it just be best for all if there would be a 15 minute rule posted on somewhere. And then you would just wait for 15 mins and then just move whatever was on the chair? Same rules for everyone. Really, no one needs to reserve a seat for more than 15 mins! Chairs should be shared.

yeah...it's not like they don't have a gazillion to sell on the ship.

Would it just be best for all if there would be a 15 minute rule posted on somewhere. And then you would just wait for 15 mins and then just move whatever was on the chair? Same rules for everyone. Really, no one needs to reserve a seat for more than 15 mins! Chairs should be shared.

Seriously? I can spend 15 minutes in the pool easily.

The smaller pool areas seem to be the problem for me. The adult pool with a limited number of loungers for example. On one cruise every lounger had stuff n them with about one fifth of them actually having cruisers seated. So found one with a magazine in it asked a cruiser a few seats away and was told no one had ever been seen at that lounger. So moved the magazine to the next chair, 30 minutes later had a bad confrontation with older English lady who really told me off, nothing convinced her that she had been gone more than 10 minutes. Rather than go thru that again I'll just avoid the pools.

The smaller pool areas seem to be the problem for me. The adult pool with a limited number of loungers for example. On one cruise every lounger had stuff n them with about one fifth of them actually having cruisers seated. So found one with a magazine in it asked a cruiser a few seats away and was told no one had ever been seen at that lounger. So moved the magazine to the next chair, 30 minutes later had a bad confrontation with older English lady who really told me off, nothing convinced her that she had been gone more than 10 minutes. Rather than go thru that again I'll just avoid the pools.

That's why the staff should deal with this nonsense. If there was a staff member walking the deck and removing things after 30 minutes if someone is waiting for a lounger there would be fewer incidents like what you described.

DW and I spend most of our sea days in a deck chair from early morning until late afternoon. We often will see nearby chairs being saved with towels and cannot help but notice nobody in those chairs. When folks ask us if anyone is sitting in those chairs we will quickly tell them the truth,....that we have been in our chair for hours and nobody is using those chairs. This is actually a pretty common way that folks learn about unused chairs (by asking others nearby). As to moving personal stuff, we recommend just taking all that stuff to a nearby crew member and telling them "somebody must have forgotten this stuff." What is fun is when the original chair hogs return hours later and look for support that they had those chairs. Our response is something like we have been in our chair since 7am and never saw anyone in those chairs (and it might be after noon).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Chair hogs turn other rational people into chair hogs. On Princess we couldn't get a lounger all week except so high up it blew the ice cream out of my cone:) many got the crew to carry loungers from other decks to the pool area. This resulted in being almost impossible to get through for a dip in the pool. Total shambles. On our last day which was a sea day we had an early breakfast, found a nice sheltered spot away from the wind and the loudspeakers and stuck with them all day:D

It is ok to say remove items from loungers but I am on holiday, I don't want to be confrontational, I am supposed to be relaxing. I don't want some irate guy threatening me.

Edited by moniquet