Possible first time on RSSC

We, that is my DH and I, may take the May cruise from SFO to Vancouver (sorry Canadian Airport Codes make no sense whatsoever) in May next year and this will be our first time on RSSC. I will be one month away from turning 50 and he will be 42. We have been loyal to RCCL and recently they have dumbed down the menus, we feel like a number, and we are not the night club crowd. I for one would like to sip on a martini while listening to smooth jazz or classical. We are old fashioned with dress codes in that we love to dress up for formal nights, something that seems to be going away. Even formal nights on RCCL is more of a, "good you have clothes on, welcome to dinner." We have never gotten into the pool parties and loud thumping night clubs. We are both food snobs we admit. Can someone tell us more about RSSC?

To me RCCL and Regent are like night and day (we have cruised both). After our first cruise with Regent (many years ago) we have not cruised with any other lines (except for short New Year's Eve cruises in the Caribbean). We love the small ships, the service, the fact we know some of the crew, the food, and not having to sign for anything except the boutiques or spa (well, every once in a while my husband buys a better bottle of wine when eating at Prime 7 or Signatures). I love to dress up (not fancy formal night clothes) so putting on nice clothes for dinner every night is a pleasure. No jeans or shorts after 6pm. I don't enjoy the wet TShirt contest, splashing in the pool, or whatever other games Royal Caribbean and others have by the pool. Regent is refined and understated. The food is exceptional in my opinion. That said, food is subjective. I have never had a bad meal with Regent yet I hear others complain. So you have to consider what's important to you. Regent is not cheap but I also think that by the time you add all the incidentals you pay with other cruise lines, Regent is not that much more. I recommend Regent to all my friends. We have taken many cruises and never been disappointed. Whatever you decide. Enjoy your cruise. By the way, the Alaska cruise is fantastic. We did Anchorage to Vancouver two years ago.

IT will be a very different experience and it sounds like it will suit you. RSSC is very tamed compared to the large ships.

First you will love their suites. If you don't like crowds, Regent is for you. with seven hundred passengers on board you'll get to know most of them by the third day.

The food is not in your face and not much in the entertainment areas. The crowd is older although it's getting a little younger. They have 4 or 5 lounges and you'll find at the most 20 in a lounge, so never crowded. We like it that way....

Hope this helps....

From the videos I've seen looks like they have "old school" cruise shows in the evening.

It does seem you are not stuck having dinner in the "main dining room" every night so you can move around and change restaurants each night. How does this work with gratuities then?

From the videos I've seen looks like they have "old school" cruise shows in the evening.

It does seem you are not stuck having dinner in the "main dining room" every night so you can move around and change restaurants each night. How does this work with gratuities then?

Gratuity is included. You don't have to worry about it. It is an all inclusive cruise.

They have the main dining room and a more casual dining where you need no reservations. You show up and you are seated. They also have two specialty restaurants. You are allowed to book each once before sailing and after that as many times as you want if available. It's usually not a problem.

Again, you don't pay for anything, it's all included.....

Gratuity is included. You don't have to worry about it. It is an all inclusive cruise.

They have the main dining room and a more casual dining where you need no reservations. You show up and you are seated. They also have two specialty restaurants. You are allowed to book each once before sailing and after that as many times as you want if available. It's usually not a problem.

Again, you don't pay for anything, it's all included.....

Even my Martinis? If so it probably has to be well...call stuff I am sure they charge on that. And of course getting to the ship will cost...the airfare cannot be free as well.

Even my Martinis? If so it probably has to be well...call stuff I am sure they charge on that. And of course getting to the ship will cost...the airfare cannot be free as well.

Only booze not included is the ultra top shelf single malt types so call as you like as long as they have what you call. And, airfare (coach) is included. Nothing is free; included is a better way to say it. Forgot, wine by the bottle is extra but, they should have a by the glass wine you like or will find something you do like. Prices are not inexpensive.

Edited by rallydave

The airfare is included, and there's generally a very reasonable upcharge for business class. Our Baltic cruise (2 weeks away!) has a $600 surcharge each way for business class from the states. That's a spectacular deal.

And... you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of included liquor. Consult Travelcat2's helpful list of onboard liquors to see what I mean. Anything listed without a price is included, and most things don't have a price.

Edited by cAPS lOCK oN

The airfare is included, and there's generally a very reasonable upcharge for business class. Our Baltic cruise (2 weeks away!) has a $600 surcharge each way for business class from the states. That's a spectacular deal.

And... you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of included liquor. Consult Travelcat2's helpful list of onboard liquors to see what I mean. Anything listed without a price is included, and most things don't have a price.

WOW!

Is there a formal night and if so how do people dress?

Once upon a time one could reserve a deck chair that was yours for the entire cruise. This practiced has sailed the seven seas now. Does RSSC do this anymore?

I am impressed with what I saw on the website that apparently RSSC is allergic to inside staterooms and even the bottom class state room has a large portrait window and not just a hole in the wall to look out and even that room has a large bathroom with a tub.

It is all included, including your economy airfare and your transfer to the ship if you arrive the day of the cruise and leave the same day or book hotels through them. You can actually pay one price and spend on nothing else.

As someone mentioned they upgraded to business for $600. Our upgrade was $2000 each. It all depends on what they are offering.

There are no formal nights. Some choose to dress in gowns and tuxedos but it is rare. Usually, women have dresses or pants and tops. Men, slacks with buttoned down shirts or polo shirts.

WOW!

I am impressed with what I saw on the website that apparently RSSC is allergic to inside staterooms and even the bottom class state room has a large portrait window and not just a hole in the wall to look out and even that room has a large bathroom with a tub.

All suites have a balcony

Scott, If you will be cruising on the Navigator, all suites have balconies except for some on Deck 6 (am guessing at the deck #).

My husband and I love this little ship. There is never a line for an elevator, (or anything else for that matter), the service is great, and the staff couldn't be more accommodating. It's an intimate atmosphere, and you can be as social/outgoing as you like, or not. No tacky contests by the pool, friendly guests, and just a nice ambiance throughout the ship. It is refined without being snobbish, and quiet, which is what we love. You will appreciate not having to sign for anything as well; no nickel and diming you to death like the mass cruise ships.

As far as dress, no jeans or tee shirts/shorts after 6 p.m. You don't have to dress to the "nines"--and you can choose to wear a tie at dinner with a sport coat, or not. A shirt with a collar will do.

You don't need a reservation for the restaurants except for Prime 7. We find the food to be very good (but we're not "foodies"--but then I'm just happy to not have to cook and be waited on hand and foot while I'm on the ship!:)) Food is, of course, subjective, but we've always been very happy with the selection and quality. You can choose a table for 2, or asked to be seated with others. It's totally up to you.

What really makes us happy is the staff--they work very hard to please you, and if something isn't right, it will be taken care of.

If you choose Regent, I don't think you can go wrong!

We have done 3 Regent cruises - Alaska was last summer's cruise. This is a very port intensive voyage and Alaska seems to attract a younger crowd but the majority of fellow passengers are of a grayer hue. That being said, we have enjoyed meeting both young and old and also having the liberty to enjoy our own company. Nothing beats champagne on the balcony and there's always a bottle in the fridge!

By the way, my Martini's were always Grey Goose. And, there's champagne and caviar during Sunday breakfast/brunch. We're on Oceania in September and WORRIED that it will pale in comparison although other CC have reassured me that it will be great!

We have done 3 Regent cruises - Alaska was last summer's cruise. This is a very port intensive voyage and Alaska seems to attract a younger crowd but the majority of fellow passengers are of a grayer hue. That being said, we have enjoyed meeting both young and old and also having the liberty to enjoy our own company. Nothing beats champagne on the balcony and there's always a bottle in the fridge!

By the way, my Martini's were always Grey Goose. And, there's champagne and caviar during Sunday breakfast/brunch. We're on Oceania in September and WORRIED that it will pale in comparison although other CC have reassured me that it will be great!

It sounds perfect. RCCL and Princess are both rush rush rush through the day and on the last night you hear gasps coming from the staterooms when the bill gets shoved under the door along with fathers and husbands screaming "You spent how much?!?!" My last RCCL cruise I felt I needed a vacation from my cruise and while I like doing port excursions they can total more than twice your cruise easily if you hit every port with an excursion. Of course photos I expect to pay for that.

ScottC4746: Based on your post, you will be sailing on the Navigator -- a beautiful ship with 490 passengers. While most of the suites have balconies, there are some on deck 6 that do not.

We are currently on the Voyager and enjoying every moment. As previously mentioned, your martinis will be included. They have recently added (this cruise) "Tito's" vodka -- made in Austin, Texas. While not top shelf, it is a very popular vodka in the states and, in my opinion, is quite smooth and drinkable. Some other choices are Grey Goose, Chopin, etc.

There are plenty of choices of wine by the glass -- hardly anyone orders by the bottle -- your wine glass is kept full so there is no need (unless there is a special occasion and you want to spend on board credits on an expensive bottle of wine). When you board there will be a bottle of champagne in your suite. Unpacking while sipping champagne is a lovely way of unpacking.

No one reserves deck chairs. However, some people do try. If you see an unused deck chair with a book or something meant to "reserve" it for more than 30 minutes, ask a crew member to remove it for you. Chair hogs tends to be on main stream cruise lines but is rarely done on Regent.

In terms of dress code, I agree that you can wear anything during the day and almost anything in the evening (except jeans or shorts). However, on the nights of the Captain's Reception (2nd night) and the Captain's Farewell, (2nd to the last night), there are many men in sports jackets or suits (with or without ties). Feel free to dress up whenever you wish. Many Europeans tend to wear suits and ties every night while American's may wear polo shirts and slacks.

In terms of airfare, there is no business class upgrade within the U.S. (including flights to Vancouver). What we have done is upgraded to First Class at a cost of $750 per person each way. Since the flights are not long, economy should work for most people.

forgap: We have been on Oceania and, if you drink, it is a good idea to get the alcohol package. Their drinks are "measured" and can be quite tiny. During their Happy Hour, the bars are mobbed and the drinks are weak. JMHO. However, we enjoyed the Riviera very much and will be sailing on her again in November.

ScottC4746: Based on your post, you will be sailing on the Navigator -- a beautiful ship with 490 passengers. While most of the suites have balconies, there are some on deck 6 that do not.

We are currently on the Voyager and enjoying every moment. As previously mentioned, your martinis will be included. They have recently added (this cruise) "Tito's" vodka -- made in Austin, Texas. While not top shelf, it is a very popular vodka in the states and, in my opinion, is quite smooth and drinkable. Some other choices are Grey Goose, Chopin, etc.

There are plenty of choices of wine by the glass -- hardly anyone orders by the bottle -- your wine glass is kept full so there is no need (unless there is a special occasion and you want to spend on board credits on an expensive bottle of wine). When you board there will be a bottle of champagne in your suite. Unpacking while sipping champagne is a lovely way of unpacking.

No one reserves deck chairs. However, some people do try. If you see an unused deck chair with a book or something meant to "reserve" it for more than 30 minutes, ask a crew member to remove it for you. Chair hogs tends to be on main stream cruise lines but is rarely done on Regent.

In terms of dress code, I agree that you can wear anything during the day and almost anything in the evening (except jeans or shorts). However, on the nights of the Captain's Reception (2nd night) and the Captain's Farewell, (2nd to the last night), there are many men in sports jackets or suits (with or without ties). Feel free to dress up whenever you wish. Many Europeans tend to wear suits and ties every night while American's may wear polo shirts and slacks.

In terms of airfare, there is no business class upgrade within the U.S. (including flights to Vancouver). What we have done is upgraded to First Class at a cost of $750 per person each way. Since the flights are not long, economy should work for most people.

forgap: We have been on Oceania and, if you drink, it is a good idea to get the alcohol package. Their drinks are "measured" and can be quite tiny. During their Happy Hour, the bars are mobbed and the drinks are weak. JMHO. However, we enjoyed the Riviera very much and will be sailing on her again in November.

Travelcat2.

You are currently on the Voyager enjoying every moment???? While posting to Cruise Critic? LOL. Enjoy your cruise.

I just saw your daily update of your cruise. Nevermind my remark. Thanks for your cruise updates. Fun to read.

Edited by commodore2010

We recently did a 7 day (+1) cruise around the Baltic on the Voyager which was our very first Regent cruise. We were very impressed, so much so that we've booked the 21 (+1) day cruise from Istanbul to Dubai at the end of October, also on the Voyager.

From start to finish the staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. We had pre-booked dinner reservations in Prime 7 and Signatures before we left home, so we knew that was all sorted. However, you can't book a dinner table in Sette Mari, which is really La Veranda. If you go the restaurant and it's full, then the maître d will ask where you will wait and then when a table becomes available he'll give you a ring. It worked for us. As this is an Italian restaurant, we ate there most evenings - we didn't try the Compass Rose on this particular cruise.

As people have said before, everything's included and you don't have to sign for anything, apart from non complimentary wines and the spa of course.

If you are doing the Baltic and get off in St. Petersburg, be prepared. Immigration is a nightmare, at least it was for us last month. Every time you get off the ship and then get back on, you have to go through Immigration. Getting off the ship wasn't too bad, but getting back on was very difficult, especially as there was no-one there. On our first trip, everything went very well apart from when we got back to the terminal - there were no Immigration people there and we had to stand and wait for 20 minutes for someone to turn up. And if there are two or three coachloads of passengers waiting in line, it can take forever, so have plenty of patience.

Our dress code for the 7 day cruise was 'elegant casual' which meant for me I wore trousers and a top and my husband wore trousers and a shirt. When we went to Prime 7 and Signatures we dressed up a little more. It'll be interesting to see what people wear for a 21 night cruise in October.

Wherever you go, we're sure you'll have a great time with Regent - we certainly did. We've mainly sailed with Silversea and Seabourn but think that Regent is as much a 6* ship as these two cruise lines.

Maureen

Navigator is fine but Voyager or Mariner would be a better intro to

Regent. Newer and larger ships that sail more smoothly. Addition of Signatures French restaurant on both and all balcony suites on Voyager. Coming from very large ships they might also enjoy Oceania's Riviera and Marina as an easier transition.

Edited by JPR

RCCL and RSS are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I have done one RSS cruise and we have booked a Tahiti cruise for Feb, 2015. have about 5 RCCL cruises in. RCCL has their hands in your pocket constantly during your time on board and they are constantly selling their upgrades. My perfect example of what you will find on RCCL is the "gentleman" we passed leaving the dining room as we were entering for dinner. he was wearing a tank top which exposed his hairy arms, chest and arm pits along with shorts and flip flops. What a lovely sight across the dinner table. I certainly wouldn't ask him to reach over and pass me the salt. RCCL does have a posted dress code for the dining room but there is no attempt to enforce it.