RCI no longer going to Lifou?

Lots of posts on facebook cruise pages about RCI not going to Lifou, some cruises have replaced it with Mare or Noumea others are just having an extra sea day.

One group of 28 includes a family with a baby under 12 months and have been told that family will be refunded because of the rule of not allowing babies under 12 months to be at sea for more than 2 days, and they leave in 9 weeks, they are not happy.

We are due to sail on 5 December from Brisbane on Legend and our cruise control is still showing Lifou. Will ring tomorrow to find out if we are affected.

A TA posted that he received an email telling him to notifiy all his clients they would no longer be going to Lifou, he wasn't given any explanation.

I have just checked our itinerary (29th November) and sure enough Lifou has been removed and replaced with another sea day. I haven't heard anything from Royal Caribbean yet but I certainly hope that they have some alternative in mind. :(

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I remember reading something about this a while ago...however nothing comes up in a search. I think it has something to do with the state/quality of the landing platform on the Island not being safe for the tenders..?????

If that were the case surely the other lines would have cancelled as well, you would think, not just Royal.

My Dec 3rd Radiance cruise is still showing Lifou on the Royal website but my Jan 25th Explorer is showing Mare.

To be honest I cant remember whether Lifou was originally on the Explorer itinerary as I just booked because >>>ship>>>cheap>>>going somewhere. I only glanced to see if Noumea was there and unfortunately it was.

Can Royal please dump Noumea next time.

I agree, it cannot be due to the landing platform or due to the earthquake/tsunami. There must be another reason.

I presume the cruise lines have to deal with the local ports to arrange stops at these smaller places. Perhaps RCI isn't offering a good enough deal? Or maybe there was an incident on a past cruise that made the locals unhappy about having RCI there.

There's only one Princess cruise scheduled to go there up to the end of this year - Dawn Princess 6th November out of Sydney. It will be interesting to see if that changes.

If they are replacing the wharf I assume they'll pull out all the stops to get it finished as quickly as possible. The locals would miss the extra revenue the cruise ships bring.

Well maybe it is the jetty after all.

I wonder how long that will take, I would have thought it would have been done over the winter season.

Well RCI have cancelled Lifou in cruises out of Sydney up to April. I rang TA and they confirmed but don't know what is happening with cruises out of Brisbane. Will let me know, wihich definitely means I will have to make another call, still waiting on the callback about cabin, shouldn't complain as it was a great price and sails out of Brisbane so no airfares.