Would a Nikon D3200 be considered "professional equipment"

JEM4205

In a few weeks we will be on a western Caribbean itinerary, and we have booked an excursion to visit some Mayan ruins in Mexico. The following statement in the description of the excursion has me wondering if my new camera would be subject to an extra fee.

" At Tulum, Mexican law requires a charge of up to $12 for passengers who bring video cameras. No tripods or professional equipment is permitted."

If so, I could take another point and shoot camera to this tour. Any help or advise is appreciated.

I took my Canon rebel that is the same size as yours and there were no issues. I'm pretty sure they are worried about production company level equipment like massive video cameras, boom mics, etc.

Super well summarized by our Mesa/Ariz expert. I had a Nikon D3200 before getting a Nikon D7100 a year ago. Both camera take professional-quality pictures, but agree that at this Mayan ruins location, they are seeking to avoid the bigger "masses" of equipment used on video shoot by professional crews. These Nikon SLR will take video, good quality, but their objectives are well guessed/noted by shootr.

In crowded, busy areas, they also don't like people setting up tripods, creating safety/congestion challenges for other visitors.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,320 views for this posting.

In a few weeks we will be on a western Caribbean itinerary, and we have booked an excursion to visit some Mayan ruins in Mexico. The following statement in the description of the excursion has me wondering if my new camera would be subject to an extra fee.

" At Tulum, Mexican law requires a charge of up to $12 for passengers who bring video cameras. No tripods or professional equipment is permitted."

If so, I could take another point and shoot camera to this tour. Any help or advise is appreciated.

Some thoughts...

• you should be fine. Sometimes asking questions is more trouble. The excursion tour operator should be a good reference as to what was permitted and not. Otherwise, pack the P&S as backup.
  • The D3200 is marketed as a consumer camera
  • I saw D3%00 cameras is used by the Disney Cruise photographers
  • It's getting harder and harder to tell the image quality difference between pro and consumer DSLR cameras. Go ahead a rachet up the ISO if you can't use a tripod.
  • Some places I go to look at the length of your lens. If lens is more than 4 to 6 inches... they classify it as pro (eg f/2.8 lenses). External flashes might classify your camera as professional. I know my vertical grip can get me in trouble.
  • $12? I spend that at dinner! I have no troubles paying $12 to record some video.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nikon D3200 is considered a consumer level camera which is very capable of taking excellent images. That being said, my husband & I visited Tulum last year with a tour group organized through the cruise line. We took 2 camera bodies (D90 & D7000) & several lenses & had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How much is your trip costing you? What percentage of the total trip cost would the potential $12 fee be? Why are you worrying about a $12 fee?

DON

How much is your trip costing you? What percentage of the total trip cost would the potential $12 fee be? Why are you worrying about a $12 fee?

DON

It's not about the $ its about finding out before the visit what to expect.. You are correct $12 bucks is nothing compared to the cruise. I wasn't sure if a camera considered "professional" would be confiscated or what..Thanks for the snarky reply

They are talking about a professional photographer. Not a person taking pictures for personal use. The type of camera is not important, but are you taking professional photo (getting paid or intend on selling a picture).

They are talking about a professional photographer. Not a person taking pictures for personal use. The type of camera is not important, but are you taking professional photo (getting paid or intend on selling a picture).

That's the problem: professional photographer is not easily defined (especially in another country). When I cruise Alaska, I look like a professional photographer: vest, belt, lens case with a lens, utility case, two cameras on straps, plus a third camera with a monster telephoto lens on a monopod. Am I a professional? No. Would someone think that I am? Probably. Therein lies the rub.

Pretty sure you'd be fine at Tuluum, but what constitutes "professional equipment" can be very strange. For instance, at most NBA arenas, "professional cameras" are prohibited, and are usually defined as any camera with a detachable lens! Which means a Rebel with a kit lens would theoretically not be allowed...

For Major League Baseball, you can bring an SLR, but your big white lens probably won't be allowed (I think they also have a length restriction).

So, it can actually be a bit more of a challenge than it would seem to decide if your equipment is "professional".

When I cruise Alaska, I look like a professional photographer: vest, belt, lens case with a lens, utility case, two cameras on straps, plus a third camera with a monster telephoto lens on a monopod. Am I a professional? No. Would someone think that I am? Probably. Therein lies the rub.

Randall?

mqdefault.jpg

This is an interesting question. My wife, who is not a professional, takes pictures with a Nikon D3100 and a Tamron 18-270 lens. She owns her website but takes pictures just for her own enjoyment.

I've always thought a "professional" photographer is probably one who gets paid to take pictures.

Just my opinion.

Happy cruising!

FWIW - we go to a lot of concerts and they do not allow professional cameras. Their definition is that if it has a removable lens then it is a professional camera.

That definition is the same used in many sports arenas. It's ridiculous, particularly given fixed-lens super zooms.

Pretty sure you'd be fine at Tuluum, but what constitutes "professional equipment" can be very strange. For instance, at most NBA arenas, "professional cameras" are prohibited, and are usually defined as any camera with a detachable lens! Which means a Rebel with a kit lens would theoretically not be allowed...

For Major League Baseball, you can bring an SLR, but your big white lens probably won't be allowed (I think they also have a length restriction).

So, it can actually be a bit more of a challenge than it would seem to decide if your equipment is "professional".

I had no issues at Talcum with my DSLR and camera bag with extra lenses and filters.

Sports venues are the worst, not only do they vary form arena to arena but even at the same arena it varies... in Dallas I can take whatever I want for Stars games (hockey) just no tripods, but Mavericks the wont allow them. Texas Rangers anything, Houston Astros..nothing over 4" in think it is. When we had a hockey team in houston it varied depending on the mood of security. :roll eyes: The would let me in with a 70-300 one game and not the next. Citi Field in NY says something about no "professional" cameras but there were people with DSLR's there...I asked security and they said "within reason" and I would be fine. (He knew photography and when I pressed for some clarification basically said a 70-200/300 and I would be fine. They just don't want the big 500/600 type professional type lenses.) These days I will print out the camera policy and bring it with me in case the question my lens and camera.

This may sound like a flippant answer but any camera used by a professional photographer; i.e., someone who is being paid for the job; is professional equipment.

For example, most people would not regard a Sony A6000 as a professional camera. Yet I have seen several YouTube videos of professional photographers shooting weddings with A6000s.

DON

I have been to the Tuluum ruins a couple of times with a DSLR and had no issues. I asked one of the onsite curators about the fee and they said it is charged if someone is shooting "professionally" i.e. with a model or a customer (engagement photos, etc.). They also added that the fee was up to the discretion of the management's opinion of the "professional" status of the visitor and their equipment...which I guess is like most fees or fines in Mexico. Caveat traveler.

Dave

If you are going to Tulum on a cruise-ship tour, they probably don't count you as a "professional" unless you have a shoulder-mounted video camera. Getting a bad tour review by charging for a DSLR (unless it has a 24" zoom with hood) would not be good for their reputation.

I had no problems with my Olympus E-5 (professional) camera with medium zoom lens when I went to Tulum.

What does Church of the Spilled Blood have to do with Mexico?

Nothing really but ...

I was irritated when a Guard told me that it would cost about $5.00 USD to take pictures in the church. And being cheap or thrifty, I declined.

On the second trip to St. Petersburg, I reflected that my first decision was stupid and despite the cost, I should have paid the fee instead of cutting off my nose!

I was lucky I had a second chance to take photographs! After all, you might never get to go to _______ again and make memories!

What does Church of the Spilled Blood have to do with Mexico?

Nothing really but ...

I was irritated when a Guard told me that it would cost about $5.00 USD to take pictures in the church. And being cheap or thrifty, I declined.

On the second trip to St. Petersburg, I reflected that my first decision was stupid and despite the cost, I should have paid the fee instead of cutting off my nose!

I was lucky I had a second chance to take photographs! After all, you might never get to go to _______ again and make memories!

I love the "sacred" places with "Photography not allowed" signs that sell photos of the "sacred" places in the gift shop. I always ask how they got those pictures...

Dave