First inside cabin - Will I survive?

Lsmith52

We just booked our first inside cabin ever for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise for next April. We have only booked Suite/mini suite/balcony cabins in the past but decided to see if we could survive an inside cabin without killing each other. We figure the cheaper we can cruise the more often we can cruise..right? We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin usually but we do love spending time on the balcony drinking a glass or two of wine. I sure hope this works!

We just booked our first inside cabin ever for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise for next April. We have only booked Suite/mini suite/balcony cabins in the past but decided to see if we could survive an inside cabin without killing each other. We figure the cheaper we can cruise the more often we can cruise..right? We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin usually but we do love spending time on the balcony drinking a glass or two of wine. I sure hope this works!

We tried once. Never again. We spend a lot of time on the balcony. Even on a port intensive cruise I still like to be able to sit outside even if its late at night.

We tried it too with an oceanview...hated it. If we can't afford the balcony we won't book the cruise.

One of my biggest issues with an inside cabin was not knowing what time it was. I know people have suggested just leaving the TV on to the ship's cam but maybe I'm weird, I don't turn on the TV during a cruise. I bought a small projection clock that I plug in at the desk and set it to project the time on the ceiling. I love it! Yeah, I'm weird. :)

I used to book only balconies or mini-suites but since the rock hard chairs replaced the old balcony chairs, I'm unwilling to pay for something I can only use for a few minutes at a time. The balcony furniture is so bad that nothing I do, including using pillows, makes it even marginally comfortable for more than a few minutes at a time. Instead, I book the cheapest obstructed view oceanview cabins I can find and spend my time relaxing in the Sanctuary, depending on the weather.

You'll never know if it is for you until you try it.... We did it once- we survived by spending as little time as possible in the cabin. We also found that we needed a travel alarm clock or we would sleep longer than we wanted to because it was so dark in the room.

Some people book inside rooms exclusively, it isn't for us, but might be right for you. Happy sailing!

I was in an inside cabin for the first time on a seven night Caribbean last fall. I had been concerned about the lack of natural light and whether that would make me feel claustrophobic, but it ended up not bothering me at all. The room was plenty bright when the lights were on, with nice big mirrors making the space feel larger.

I definitely spent less time in my cabin than on previous cruises when I had a balcony, but I found plenty of comfortable spots around the ship to sit and read or enjoy a cup of coffee. I particularly enjoyed sitting out on the promenade deck. It was nice to be out in the fresh air, watching the sea roll by, and being in a public space with fellow passengers strolling about made me feel more engaged with the shipboard community.

Overall, I found my inside cabin to be very comfortable. In fact, I've booked an inside for my next cruise, when I am once again traveling solo. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise, and hopefully you will find that the inside cabin is perfectly fine.

I was in an inside cabin for the first time on a seven night Caribbean last fall. I had been concerned about the lack of natural light and whether that would make me feel claustrophobic, but it ended up not bothering me at all. The room was plenty bright when the lights were on, with nice big mirrors making the space feel larger.

I definitely spent less time in my cabin than on previous cruises when I had a balcony, but I found plenty of comfortable spots around the ship to sit and read or enjoy a cup of coffee. I particularly enjoyed sitting out on the promenade deck. It was nice to be out in the fresh air, watching the sea roll by, and being in a public space with fellow passengers strolling about made me feel more engaged with the shipboard community.

Overall, I found my inside cabin to be very comfortable. In fact, I've booked an inside for my next cruise, when I am once again traveling solo. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise, and hopefully you will find that the inside cabin is perfectly fine.

I am hoping we have the same experience. We do like sitting on the promenade and reading or just listening to music on an iPod.

You might survive, I wouldn't.

I do spend time in my cabin, contrary to what many report.

I also love the sight, sound and smell of the ocean.

Yes, those are the things I think we will miss most, but we need to see if we can do this. I read a lot of posts from people that are happy just to be sailing and that's what I am hoping to accomplish. Stay busy all day with excursions or on board activities until I am ready for bed and then head off to our cubby hole. If this is not for us then fine. At least we tried. It might mean the difference between cruising 2-3 times a year or 5-6 times a year.

Yes, those are the things I think we will miss most, but we need to see if we can do this. I read a lot of posts from people that are happy just to be sailing and that's what I am hoping to accomplish. Stay busy all day with excursions or on board activities until I am ready for bed and then head off to our cubby hole. If this is not for us then fine. At least we tried. It might mean the difference between cruising 2-3 times a year or 5-6 times a year.

But is that how you normally cruise, staying busy all day?

If so an inside will be fine for you, if not????

However as you know you like cruising, if the inside doesn't work out you can always go back to what you like.

I've run the gamut from insides to penthouse suites. I am not a balcony person so don't miss it at all. I do miss the natural light. Enjoy your cruise. Where is your cabin? Is it anywhere near an outside door/deck? If it were an inside or no cruise, I am sure you know the winner.

We tried an inside cabin a few years ago (extenuating circumstances, no balconies and this was a group cruise). Last time we will do that. Part of the ambiance of a cruise experience for us is to be able to go out on our balcony whenever we happen to be in our cabin, day or night.

Good luck with your experiment. Hopefully it will be a happy experience for you.:cool:

BTW, my first cruise in 1978 was in a window cabin. But, I was young and it was my first cruise and, at the time, there was no such thing as a balcony cabin on a ship. At least not on that one......

Edited by ar1950

Will you miss your balcony? I know, I do. But, I remind myself how much I miss cruising and how much I want to be able to afford to cruise more often. I won't lie, it's hard but we can do it!

And I'm one of those that leaves the TV on the deck camera so I know if it's day or night. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way, it is not a criticism, but would it be possible for you to modify your signature to put a line feed (enter) between a couple of your tickers?

I ask because one line of your signature has at least three tickers on it and that is what is making all the posts overflow the normal page width.

Many thanks

Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way, it is not a criticism, but would it be possible for you to modify your signature to put a line feed (enter) between a couple of your tickers?

I ask because one line of your signature has at least three tickers on it and that is what is making all the posts overflow the normal page width.

Many thanks

Just checked there is a return between them.

They show up one under the other on my screen.

Any other suggestion.

Hi,

Many thanks

Just curious Corfe, what device/OS/browser are you using? I am not seeing any overflow on my device (Windows 7 computer, Firefox browser). I have seen it happen before, but, not now with GUT2407's postings.:confused:

Edited by ar1950

Of course you can. We have over 50 Princess cruises under our belt and all with inside cabins.

Hi,

Many thanks

What are you on about? I don't see any problem:rolleyes:

Depending on the class of ship you are booking, some inside cabins have very quick access to the outdoors and the promenade deck.

An example for Grand class ships -

Lido deck forward inside cabins. Only a few steps to midship and pool.

Emerald deck forward cabins. There are doors on both port and starboard that lead out to the Whale's Mouth.

Aloha deck aft has quick access to the aft pool area. On the Caribbean Princess it would be the Riviera deck.

If I were to pick an inside cabin, I would attempt to find a cabin in these locations first.

Edited by iceleven

We've had an outside a couple of times and managed even with 3 of us. After our first balcony cabin hubby made the comment that he would never go back to not having a balcony. I'd prefer a balcony but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.