Laughing at people who ask..... Rcl or carnival

Maybe I'm the only one but this wouldn't bother me in the least...

As a runner it would bother me if it blocked the track. One of the few times I've been envious of Carnival was looking at the dedicated running (not jogging ;) track). No deck chairs or bar people with 15 drinks on a train to dodge around, if you don't get your running done by 8am! I do like the dedicated running track on Oasis/Allure, but wish it was more open with stuff to see. (other than cute signs and life boats. Here the only obstacles are occasional crew, large hippos in tutus and dumb people.

Just got back from a four day cruise, Canaveral to Nassau, Coco Cay.

First RCCL. Only other cruise was on Carnival.

I had always heard that RCCL was a magnitude better than Carnival.

My experience was just the opposite.

Over an hour to board.

Ship was in bad need of a paint job.

Food in both the main dining room and buffet dining rooms was the same.

Bad, and always cold.

No snack bar on the pool deck.

Took forever to get a drink even with an all-inclusive drink stamp.

Still had to sign a receipt every time.

Balcony state room was nice except for the micro shower.

Entertainment was a joke. Like armature hour.

Crew was nice and friendly.

I know this is a very narrow comparative base. But, I’m a mechanical engineer. My world is black or white, yes or no. No grey or maybe. Analyzing both cruises, Carnival was a magnitude better than RCCL.

Not our experience this past September, different selections in MDR and Windjammer.

Park Cafe is on the pool deck.

I'm not bashing Carnival, but an emergency generator atop the ship should be required, and built in from the start.

The late, great, Regal Empress (Caribe I, Olympia) had one enclosed in the superstructure on the top deck, and that ship was built in 1953! It interfered with no one, and you could walk past it and not know what was in the housing.

You put an emergency generator on the top deck in case s--t hits the fan, and the engine room is flooding or otherwise the engine room and generators are taken out due to fire or whatever.

They are there to provide essential power in case of an emergency, and should be on the top deck.

While I cannot speak for all ships, but QM2 has two of her powerful gas turbine generators located on top next to the funnel. They assist in driving the ship, but also provide electrical power if all heck breaks out down below.

There is NO excuse for building a ship of this type without having a built-in emergency generator up top. Period, end of story.

Many cruise lines still practice having engineering officers wear shoulder boards with gold stripes and a purple stripe in between. Purple is the color used for death or mourning. They're used to honor the engineers on Titanic, all of whom died. Why did they die? The stayed down below to keep the generators running and keep the lights on. When the flooding became too bad, they could not get out. Needless to say, Titanic did not have a generator on her top deck.

Apparently you have never been on Dis-Enchantment of the Seas.

If you missed the Park Cafe in the Solarium on the Enchanment, apparently, neither have you.

but this thread is about emergency power, and understanding the failure that happened last year to those unfortunate few on the Carnival trip- this particular ship could have an issue that can render it mostly powerless. Whereas the RCI ships as well as OTHER Carnival ships where this fault isn't possible.

And this failure mode IS being fixed on this class of ships, too.

All things considered, this fix is ok. Not great, but ok.

Edited by alfaeric

Never cruised Carnival & don't expect to BUT........ Where does RCCL locate their emergency generators? We all know stuff happens & it appears Carnival is being proactive after their fiasco a couple of years ago. Are you sure no RCCL ship will ever be in a similar position?

The way the captain of the Navigator explained it at the last Captain's Corner I attended in September, there are two engine rooms on most RCL ships, each with their own controls and generators. That provides an extra level of protection.

Do RCCL's backup generators have enough power to get the ship back to port?

No but RCCL does not share the same design that caused two Carnival ships to be stranded at sea. I'm not bashing Carnival but I'm also not cruising specifically on a ship that has a portable generator strapped on it's back. They don't all have them and gladly they will eventually be rid of them. That's my risk tolerance for a vacation that has so many other choices.

It is necessary to understand how ships are driven through the water. Most do not have a clue, and that's okay, as most do not know what makes a jet airplane fly!

While I will not go through the history of ship propulsion, I will say:

Oh, why am I bothering with this!

Let someone else finish it up.

I could write several paragraphs and no one would pay attention.

One tends to realize when it is time to end a post.

It is necessary to understand how ships are driven through the water. Most do not have a clue, and that's okay, as most do not know what makes a jet airplane fly!

While I will not go through the history of ship propulsion, I will say:

Oh, why am I bothering with this!

Let someone else finish it up.

I could write several paragraphs and no one would pay attention.

One tends to realize when it is time to end a post.

Thank you for evaluating your emerging post and putting in place the best outcome ! Lol

Whatever. I don't get the lame effort to use a picture to brag about one cruise line and mock another............ Yes we love RCCL, but could care less about this pitiful attempt to attack Carnival......u have nothing better to do???.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

👍👍

After just returning from the Quantum Maiden Transatlantic, I would say Royal has problems far exceeding a generator sitting on a deck. Actually, maybe Royal could have used that generator to power non functioning elevators and bionic bartenders. :D

Do RCCL's backup generators have enough power to get the ship back to port?

No. No emergency backup generators have enough power to drive a ship. That is not the point of their existence.

Royal Caribbean's modern ships all have 6 diesel engines split into 2 independent engine rooms. Since the engine rooms are independent of each other, they each act as a primary backup in the event of one engine room being completely incapacitated due to catastrophic failure. In this case, the remaining engine room with all 3 of its engines running would be enough to power the hotel side of the ship, as well as drive the ship at a reasonable speed.

The emergency backup generator is the "backup of the backup". It is meant to keep the ship livable and safe for a period of time while it is stranded, until help arrives. It takes a serious amount of power to drive the propellers through the water and that is the reason it takes a few engines attached to huge generators (each enough to power a small town) to provide propulsion. The emergency backup generator is more akin to what you see running your local carnival for the weekend. Not really serious power.

Never cruised Carnival & don't expect to BUT........ Where does RCCL locate their emergency generators? We all know stuff happens & it appears Carnival is being proactive after their fiasco a couple of years ago. Are you sure no RCCL ship will ever be in a similar position?

Voyager and Freedom class emergency backup generators are located deck 4 aft, just behind the main galley.

Edited by compuryan

There was a great Area-51 Type Conspiracy post on the Carnival board not long ago where someone didn't believe the generators were even hooked up.

Not bothered by the generators; obviously a stop gap measure until infrastructure changes can be made. A step in the right direction. A ship losing power is of less concern to me than say a sinking where the ship lists and half the lifeboats can't be launched. Most ships don't sink on an even keel...

Apparently you didn't read the posts in this thread explaining this, and how it's only temporary.

I understood it perfectly! Re-read it time4u2go it said they weren't hiding it, but in the pix I provided there is a cover on it; since that is Triumph not Valor. Triumph is restored after the fire and the berth accidents.

Paradise

6c411b41d1921022fbe79efd40a3e1d3.jpg

I just belive make them look like they are permanent not a pure after thought. Clearly it looks like they are working towards that.

Just got back from a four day cruise, Canaveral to Nassau, Coco Cay.

First RCCL. Only other cruise was on Carnival.

I had always heard that RCCL was a magnitude better than Carnival.

My experience was just the opposite.

Over an hour to board.

Ship was in bad need of a paint job.

Bad, and always cold.

Took forever to get a drink even with an all-inclusive drink stamp.

Still had to sign a receipt every time.

Balcony state room was nice except for the micro shower.

Entertainment was a joke. Like armature hour.

Crew was nice and friendly.

I know this is a very narrow comparative base. But, I’m a mechanical engineer. My world is black or white, yes or no. No grey or maybe. Analyzing both cruises, Carnival was a magnitude better than RCCL.

Armature hour? Was that a military show?

I understood it perfectly! Re-read it time4u2go it said they weren't hiding it, but in the pix I provided there is a cover on it; since that is Triumph not Valor. Triumph is restored after the fire and the berth accidents.

I just belive make them look like they are permanent not a pure after thought. Clearly it looks like they are working towards that.

Nope. Triumph has been restored after the fire, but it has not been through the rotation of making the generators permanent. So the picture you provided (which is 7 months old?) is of the Triumph still before the permanent generator update.

In summary, any Carnival ship that has the generator on top has not yet been through the update of making the generator permanent. But they all will have that done.

All ships are built with emergency generators to supply power to hallway lights, emergency equipment, and bridge equipment. The Carnival Splendor and Carnival Triumph did not have sufficient power to run toilets, elevators and galley equipment. The pictured generator would be an additional generator to supply those systems not be covered by the original emergency generator. Not sure what Royal's capacity is.

So, why does Magic, one of their newest ships, have one of those hideous generators sitting up on deck?

So, why does Magic, one of their newest ships, have one of those hideous generators sitting up on deck?

Because even though Magic is one of their newest ships, it was launched in 2010. The Triumph fire and resulting decision to add the generators wasn't until 2013.