Question about shoes to wear at the ports of call in Alaska

Ruth

Can anyone help me please. I am from Florida. So don't have great experience with Alaska or cold weather. I wanted to ask if Black Tennis will be good enough for any of our shore exertions. We are doing an Island Wing Flight in Ketchikan and in Skagway the Yukon Discovery and Sled Dog - A great Yukon experience Then in Juneau not sure. The only other time will be on the ship or in Seattle. So will black tennis shoe do me OK. I wasn't planning on taking any other shoes for the out doors.

We are going this summer on a cruise tour. I was not sure what shoes to take at all. But I plan to take at least one good pair of sneakers that I spray with water proof spray and then we just purchased a pair of hiking shoes at Columbia outlet. They actually look like a sneaker style but they are a hiking shoe. And then some dress shoes for evening wear. Hope this helps.

We board the ship the 1st of May. I was planning on taking black leather tennis shoes for day wear. We will not be doing any hiking. So I was hoping tennis shoes would be all I would need. I am taking jeans, sweaters, vest, scarfs and a windbreaker. That is about it for day wear. We will only stop at 4 ports on a 7 day cruise.

Will I be warm enough? I planning on taking ear muffs too!

Edited by Ruth

if Black Tennis will be good enough for any of our shore exertions

Tennis shoes will be fine. It will give you traction for any last minute whale watching excursions.

Perhaps the only challenge would be an sudden downpour of Ketchikan rain when walking around town. Would you normally wear your tennis shoes in those conditions?

http://krbd-org.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/RainGauge.jpg

Edited by xlxo

When I think of a 'windbreaker' I think of a thin nylon shell. If that's the case, you won't be warm enough. Most important .... is it waterproof? and does it have a hood. I'd include a pr of gloves too.

Tennis shoes are fine ... but bring a 2nd pr in case the first pr gets soaked thru.

Do check the weather reports before you finish packing. We went the first time in May and it was 85 degrees in Anchorage. And warm the entire way down to Vancouver. But the warm clothes we packed did well for our after cruise trip down to San Diego where it was 65 degrees.

When I think of a 'windbreaker' I think of a thin nylon shell. If that's the case, you won't be warm enough. Most important .... is it waterproof? and does it have a hood. I'd include a pr of gloves too.

Tennis shoes are fine ... but bring a 2nd pr in case the first pr gets soaked thru.

Bringing 2 pairs of tennis (or some sort of outdoor) shoes is an excellent idea.

I love my windbreaker. I layer (t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt) and wear my windbreaker on top. Yes it is a thin nylon shell (with a hood) but it really does help to keep out the wind. Sometimes I would be so warm I'd have to take off the sweatshirt. Now, when it rained, it wasn't that much help but it was only a little rain and the windbreaker dried very quickly.

A second pair of daytime shoes is a good idea. Don't forget Ketchikan is located in a rain forest. :D

The first time we were there, it was pouring. The second time it was sunny and warm. It's best to be prepared.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Yes, my windbreaker has a hood. I will go out to buy an extra pair of shoes. Added the gloves for packing....

But is it waterproof?? You should have waterproof rain gear. Forget umbrellas - they are a nuisance on crowded streets and completely useless on a moving ship where the wind will turn it inside out.

A second pair of daytime shoes is a good idea. Don't forget Ketchikan is located in a rain forest. :D.. The first time we were there, it was pouring. The second time it was sunny and warm. It's best to be prepared.

Yes, this exactly. Our port day in Ketchikan was the wettest I have ever been in my life, but we had a blast because we dressed for the weather. I would never take only one pair of shoes, even though shoes add weight to the luggage.

You never know what an Alaskan cruise will bring you. We went some years ago and the week before us they had sunny, warm weather. We had clouds and rain but it was still summer and not really cold, per sé.

Have fun! Alaska is beautiful.

I would take a rain jacket (I found one at Columbia outlet) this is waterproof and your windbreaker all in one.

For in port I would buy waterproof hiking shoes - the type that just in the shape of a gym shoes. The hiking shoes have better traction then gym shoes especially when wet.

Bring fleece, sweatshirts, thermal which is your warmth layer.

We are going this summer on a cruise tour. I was not sure what shoes to take at all. But I plan to take at least one good pair of sneakers that I spray with water proof spray and then we just purchased a pair of hiking shoes at Columbia outlet. They actually look like a sneaker style but they are a hiking shoe. And then some dress shoes for evening wear. Hope this helps.

If you take the hiking shoes you don't need the sneakers. Both the wife and I wear hiking boots all day every day when we are in Alaska. The only time we don't is for dinner if we eat on the ship.