British Airways

Woobstr112G

Looking for someone who has flown Business and/or First Class on BA. Was curious of the differences. Getting ready to book my flights and wondering if the difference in cost is worth it? One more thing is I will be using a consolidator to purchase my tickets.....

Bob

What consolidator? I hope you are not considering purchasing with a company that sells you tickets they obtained by purchasing someone else's frequent flyer miles.

Not sure I'm allowed to mention the company on CC but I will be getting miles from the company. Just curious to youth, what is the issue does no it the way you mentioned?

Bob

Sorry, don't understand your post. You can probably name them, let's try listing some. Vayama, Opodo, eDreams, Budgetair, Cheapotickets, Bravofly, Airfasttickets, Gotogate, FareDepot , Bookairfare, Skido, Govolo, Omegaflightstore, fly.co.uk, cheapfareguru, etc. Looks as if you can name all of these.

Interesting thread on tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6647029-o20-Business_class_tickets_from_3rd_party_companies-Air_Travel.html

Edited by 6rugrats

Be very careful. BA isn't known to sell through consolidators (not saying it's impossible, only rare) and if it IS through a mileage broker, you run the risk of having the tickets canceled with no recourse.

Last month someone hacked my AA mileage account and sold 325,000 of my miles to a mileage broker who then "sold" four one way business/first class tickets on Cathay Pacific to buyers who thought they were getting a great deal, probably paying the broker $2000 or more for tickets that would have cost $5K or more if purchased.

I caught the theft in time for three of the four to have the tickets canceled, and the fourth passenger probably got nabbed at the airport, but AA won't tell me.

Here's the Flyertalk thread I started recounting this miserable experience. My miles were finally returned.

Now, to the question, business class on BA is fine although IMO their product is a bit dated and some people don't like the front-to-back seating layout. First class is a step up, but the "is it worth it" question is one I won't address, as it's very subjective. Both have flat beds and okay in-flight service, but neither product is up there with some of the Middle Eastern or Asian carriers.

We flew business class on BA last May from Amsterdam to JFK. We had the two center seats/flat beds, facing the rear of the plane. We were served a tasty beef filet, nice wine. Service was excellent. Amenities handed out included socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, ear plugs and an eye mask. All very nice. Fare was roughly three times coach fare. Worth it to us, but that is very subjective.

I've flown Club World and First countless times, mainly between the US and (obviously) the UK.

Whether or not F is "worth it" over Club World is a completely subjective matter as it depends how you value the benefits over the fares. I've managed to get good deals on First in the last year so have paid each time over Business Class. I won't do it each and every time though. In December I'm flying between JFK-LHR-JFK and it was only $500 each way for First over Business which is something I'd pay everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. If I were to book the same itinerary today it'd be around $4500 each way for First over Business. I personally wouldn't pay cash for that (as I'd upgrade with miles instead), but if you're someone who always picks the best or usually flies privately on international flights then that's still very cheap.

Edited by fbgd

Looking for someone who has flown Business and/or First Class on BA. Was curious of the differences. Getting ready to book my flights and wondering if the difference in cost is worth it? One more thing is I will be using a consolidator to purchase my tickets.....

Bob

Differences from economy? Or differences between Business and FC?

I haven't tried First, but enjoyed their Club World (business class) seat, even though it doesn't have direct-aisle access like competitors, because of the "Z" position with the foot stool. That was great for relaxing without sleeping. Flying with my wife, she sat at the window facing backwards and we were able to face each other to talk when not watching our own screens. The 8-across on the main deck is cramped, but we were upstairs on a 747 and that was great; only 20 people, no middle section of four, and quiet.

I imagine that FC is even better, based on Youtube reviews. Bigger, more private seat at the very least.

I travel on BA from the US west coast to Zurich via London on BA for work in Club World. I've also traveled in First on miles and it was a notch above for sure. However, I would not pay cash, $12k r/t, for First Class vs $6k for Club World. It's not worth double the price. I love Club World service traveling to Europe. Great product, great airline.

That's the problem for me. If I'm travelling alone that's good but when travelling with my wife I prefer a less private seat.

Check out AA first class if you get the opportunity. We had two middle FC seats on a 777. The middle seats swivel to face each other - very cool during dinner service and with the divider down.

I feel like AA FC was easier than BC for conversing.

Check out AA first class if you get the opportunity. We had two middle FC seats on a 777. The middle seats swivel to face each other - very cool during dinner service and with the divider down.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My only international experience on AA is in economy and that was problably my worse flightexperience ever so AA in economy on an international flight will never happen again but I guess that First is better!!!

British Airways has a similar arrangement in First. The soft product on BA is going to several notches above AA. A lot of people lambast American carriers for lazy service but I find that in premium cabins on longhaul you can get some really superb FAs. I've flown some of the highest ranked carriers from across the world in First and Business and, honestly, some of the best FAs I've had from any airline are on AA. It's a shame the dated cabins, the poor lounges and the very mediocre food and beverage let the side down. The new 777-300s are pretty nice in FC but they're not world beaters.

Personally I'll pay cash for BA First, I won't for AA First Class on longhaul international flights.

Edited by fbgd

Haven't flown either yet, but did lots of research before booking our award ticket from LHR to IAH in First on our return from a river cruise next year. For award travel there was only an additional 12,500 points required which made First back the same as our biz award on Air France outbound to Europe. Both DH and I are not petit flowers and we were worried about feeling crowded in Biz so we decided for us it was worth the expenditure.

The best description I have seen several times and that I am using to set my expectation is that "British Air First is the best business class available"

Edited by Clay Clayton

I flew BC with BA LHR - SIN earlier this year.

Sat upstairs on their Dreamliner in the last seat facing rear..... I prefer this seat as there are no legs to climb over. Also, the window seat has a shelf under the window which has storage space......

WP_20150430_19_57_59_Pro.jpg

Have flown F when given a free upgrade once. Would not pay for this. Could buy another cruise with the difference.....

I flew BC with BA LHR - SIN earlier this year.

Sat upstairs on their Dreamliner in the last seat facing rear..... I prefer this seat as there are no legs to climb over. Also, the window seat has a shelf under the window which has storage space......

BA don't fly the Dreamliners to Singapore and there is no "upstairs" on Dreamliners unless you have access to the crew bunk.

Boeing 787 = Dreamliner

Airbus A380 = what you flew.

Just wanted to add to brazilgirls post.

BA has a sale that ends today between some USA cities and London. Some great prices through August of 2016.

For example, R/T business class fare between LHR and JFK of $1617.00 (USA).

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/offers/business-class-flights

Worth taking a look at this.

Keith

We flew back from BCN on BA via LHR two weeks ago. Originally we booked the entire trip (YYZ-LHR-VCE, BCN-LHR-YYZ) as WTP, when we checked in for the return flights, we ended up being given an upgrade on the LHR-YYZ leg to Club World :D

DH and I were in middle seats in the last row (both backwards facing). It was worth it for us ;) (free upgrade). It was a very odd sensation at takeoff, though. It didn't really feel like flying, which works well for me.

Didn't care for the seatmate facing forward on my side, he couldn't get it through his head that he couldn't use the divider to help himself get up. He was constantly putting his hand on top of it and trying to us it as leverage to stand up, which of course caused the divider to collapse :(

DH didn't like not being able to see a window, but all told we had a great flight and know now that we should budget more for flights when flying to Europe ;)

Just wanted to add to brazilgirls post.

BA has a sale that ends today between some USA cities and London. Some great prices through August of 2016.

For example, R/T business class fare between LHR and JFK of $1617.00 (USA).

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/offers/business-class-flights

Worth taking a look at this.

Keith

Also if you are a member of AARP, it takes another $300-400 off. :)

I tried AARP and it is the same price. I think these fares are so low that they couldn't take them down any further.

Keith

It's $400 for First/CW. Other cabins it's less. You can add the AARP discount on these.