Pushy spa sales

SCcruiser123

I love taking advantage of the spa specials on port days but I hate the pressure afterwards to buy their products. Last time I was held captive (while covered up but naked) on the massage table while having to listen to the details of products I would not buy. Any suggestions ?

You are only "held captive" if you allow that to happen!

I tell them up front that I am not interested in buying products and don't want to hear about any of them.

I have never had a problem after that!

Just tell them firmly and you won't have a problem either.

Usually they wait til you are dressed and they bring the bill with a list of the products they used on you. I would be ticked if they did that while I was on the table. No tip for that person, although sometimes they will discuss what they are using, especially if I ask about it. I had a really sloppy facial in the last year and should have said something, but didn't. I guess like cruising, there really isn't a bad facial in most cases!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I love taking advantage of the spa specials on port days but I hate the pressure afterwards to buy their products. Last time I was held captive (while covered up but naked) on the massage table while having to listen to the details of products I would not buy. Any suggestions ?

I usually make it known in the "interview" before the massage or whatever, that a sales pitch at the end of the session would negatively impact my spa experience. Works every time.

I had a massage and facial on the last cruise and told them up front I was not interested in any products and to please not ask I was there to relax and be pampered. After the massage/facial here she comes with the sales pitch. I kept telling her I was not interested and she kept on forever trying to talk me into purchasing. I finally just left her talking and walked out. It totally ruined the experience as I was so mad when I walked out of there I was steaming and will never, ever book anything in the spa again. I actually went back and complained and all I got was that is how they make their money. Whatever, with the exorbitant prices they charge for these services that is ridiculous.

I actually went back and complained and all I got was that is how they make their money.

I would not have taken that as an answer either. There would have been someone above that person to complain to and in the case you described it would have been worth talking to a hotel manager if that is what it took.

I had a massage and facial on the last cruise and told them up front I was not interested in any products and to please not ask I was there to relax and be pampered. After the massage/facial here she comes with the sales pitch. I kept telling her I was not interested and she kept on forever trying to talk me into purchasing. I finally just left her talking and walked out. It totally ruined the experience as I was so mad when I walked out of there I was steaming and will never, ever book anything in the spa again. I actually went back and complained and all I got was that is how they make their money. Whatever, with the exorbitant prices they charge for these services that is ridiculous.

That's rude. I have no problem with the sales pitch, but back off if I tell you I am not interested. No manager should condone harassing. Geesh.

The spas are contracted space, run by steiner leisure, which is entirely separate from the cruise line itself. The spa staff has multiple responsibilities including maintaining sales figures and providing spa services. Besides, the employees make very little money based on the cost of services and are largely working for commission based sales and tips. It's very little money. I can understand why some would be more 'hungry' than others and try to earn as much as possible.

I always put a note on the information sheet they make your fill out - "not interested in purchasing products" Works most of the time.

If they leave me alone about the products, they get an extra tip and a thank you for respecting my request.

It really does take away from the relaxing spa experience to have someone try to guilt me into buying products at the end. And that is what they leave you with. Kinda like, you had your spa treatment, now have this. And it just negated the whole relaxation process. Not sure I would bother again because of it. :rolleyes:

I always put a note on the information sheet they make your fill out - "not interested in purchasing products" Works most of the time.

If they leave me alone about the products, they get an extra tip and a thank you for respecting my request.

This is a great idea!! I know they are required to try to sell, but if you put it in writing first, hopefully they honor the request. They probably get bonuses for dollars spent on products. I do love Elemis, though. I like to take one thing home with me and it usually lasts for months. Right now I have the lavender healing mask, use it alone or mix it with an exfoliating mask (I have an Arbonne one that is good, but can be harsh, so the lavender mixed in makes it amazing for a weekly or monthly mini facial at home).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

I went for a massage about a year ago on a cruise. It was a one hour massage. After 40 MINUTES the massage therapist stopped and spent the last 20 minutes trying to sell me on the products . I was so pissed off - it was almost $150 to listen to a sales pitch I didn't want in the first place.

Before you say that I should have said get massaging, I really thought at first she just wanted to tell me something for a moment. I couldn't believe she had used up all my time and wasn't going back to finish the massage. Then they added on a 15% gratuity and had the nerve to ask if I wanted to add more of a gratuity!!! I did tell the front desk I wouldn't be a returning customer as I felt ripped off but she just looked at me and said nothing.

One sure fire way is to write down if you try to sell me something you get 0 tip as I am not interested

Then they can put their own fate into their hands

They get an automatic 15% gratuity, They don't seem particularly concerned whether you enjoy it or not. That's the problem with automatic gratuities.