Shore tours

Join the ROLL CALL for your cruise. There you will find other CC members sailing with you, and they will be organizing groups for independent tours. Also check out the Ports of Call boards here for the ports you are visiting. Check out Tripadvisor. Research! EM

I so don't want to pay cruise lines prices for shore tours!!! Is there any sites that will to the hunting down of shore tours for the ports?

No site for the entire world. On our cruises around Oz and NZ, we picked up tours on shore or did our own thing. In some other parts of the world, we booked the ship's tours. Some people pre-arrange private tours, find out at your roll call and in the destination section of cc.

You might not need a "tour" at all, depending on what you want to do! Get a guidebook on your ports (libraries have them) and figure out what YOU want to do and see. Then, we can tell you if it's doable on your own, or not.

We rarely book any excursion at all...we research where we're going, and that makes it quite easy to strike out on your own. Fun, and cheap!!!

All the responses here have been valid. The Roll Call is good, because you might find someone looking to share some costs, and you can save money that way. We did that in France with a car rental a couple of years ago and it worked out perfectly.

I frequently do this: Google "Shore Excursions Naples" or whatever the stop is. You'll get a bunch of responses. Start reading about some of the offerings. Narrow it down to a couple of companies that sound good. Use Trip Advisor to see if you can get feedback on those specific companies. We've done this at least half a dozen times, and have NEVER been disappointed. We've also never had any issues with getting back to the ship on time. The guides are all obviously VERY attuned to not getting back late, and they all ask frequently "what time do you need to return to the ship." As long as you give them the right answer, you should be fine. To me, other than the fear of the ship leaving without you, there is NO reason to go on a ship's tour rather than a private tour. We've done private (just the two of us) in places like Kusadasi or Alexandria and paid far LESS than going on a bus full of people, and we had near total flexibility. Also, getting to know our drivers and our guide was in-and-of itself worthwhile...meeting great folks from other cultures is terrific.

You might not need a "tour" at all, depending on what you want to do! Get a guidebook on your ports (libraries have them) and figure out what YOU want to do and see. Then, we can tell you if it's doable on your own, or not.

We rarely book any excursion at all...we research where we're going, and that makes it quite easy to strike out on your own. Fun, and cheap!!!

Once we book a cruise, I'll go to our public library and get a guidebook (I did this for our summer road trip we're taking) or two. If you find a book that has a lot of great info and good maps, you can go to Amazon (unless you still have a book store in town) and buy the latest edition that you can take with you on the cruise. Also google each port and you'll find lots of tourism sites. You can also go on the cruise line website and see what types of excursions you can book with them to get ideas, even if you don't want to book through the ship.

Then see what interests you. Many places you can see on your own. If you're into some specific activity such as ziplining, the guide book will probably list companies to contact. Just make sure any one company you book with will not charge you if you can't get into port (which is always a possibility). Get a contact name and phone number/email address and let them know which ship you'll be on (hopefully they'll keep an eye out on news about ships missing ports, and maybe even arrange to pick you up near the pier).

Most of the time, my family will go along with my suggestions on things to do. The past couple of cruises, I had my teen help with my research. We also made sure the sites would be open on the days we'll be in that port (a few places got crossed off the list for that reason).

There has been one time we booked at the pier -- after that experience, my hubby said, no thanks, let's never do that again. We have done some excursions through the ship, and despite what many say here, when I've compared to comparable excursions booked through an indy operator, there's not been too much of a price difference. And usually even a vehicle smaller than the massive bus that people keep claiming (we even been on a tour with just five other people).

We also try to be careful with time and distance if we're on our own and aim to be back on board at least an hour or so before sailaway time.

Once we book a cruise' date=' I'll go to our public library and get a guidebook (I did this for our summer road trip we're taking) or two. If you find a book that has a lot of great info and good maps, you can go to Amazon (unless you still have a book store in town) and buy the latest edition that you can take with you on the cruise. Also google each port and you'll find lots of tourism sites. You can also go on the cruise line website and see what types of excursions you can book with them to get ideas, even if you don't want to book through the ship.

There has been one time we booked at the pier -- after that experience, my hubby said, no thanks, let's never do that again. We have done some excursions through the ship, and despite what many say here, when I've compared to comparable excursions booked through an indy operator, there's not been too much of a price difference. And usually even a vehicle smaller than the massive bus that people keep claiming (we even been on a tour with just five other people).[/quote']

If you're going to Europe, the Rick Steves Guide to Cruise Ports is invaluable. We've been able to self-guide ourselves in Katakolon/Olympia, Athens, Ravenna & Venice using his book.

I've never spent more on a private excursion (and I mean private, just my wife and I) than I would have been charged for a comparable trip by a cruise excursion. For example, when docked in Izmir, we booked a private car (Mercedes) to pick us up at the port, drive to Mary's House and then Ephesus for a private guide, including the Terrace Houses for $145 (Celsus Tours). Yes, we gave a nice tip, but we were still under $200. The comparable tour on a bus from the ship was $139 per person. We saw those groups, as they arrived as we were leaving. I'm sure they had a great time, but when a couple of buses arrive at a site, it just immediately feels busier. I like the private tours because you can usually get out and going faster than the ship's tours.

I'll admit, my only experience is in Europe, so elsewhere, it may differ. Although we did book private tours for our upcoming Western Carribbean cruise, and while the gap is not as great, we are still saving money and going private.

And I'll also admit the one ship tour we actually took was in Alexandria, Egypt (a half-day city tour). We saw interesting places, but stayed some places too long, others too short and wasted too much time simply waiting on people. I'm glad we went, but was NOT particularly impressed with the experience. Although in a place like Egypt, I appreciated the safety in numbers. (We had taken a private tour to Giza the day before. We did SO MUCH more than the folks we talked to who came by bus.)

To get the best answers, you need to tell us where you are going and what cruise line. In some destinations, like Alaska, when we sailed on Celebrity, I found that the ship's excursions were pretty reasonable and not much more than DIY. In Hawaii, I found that renting a car was the best. However, when we were in Europe on RCI and NCL, we wanted to take in as much as possible in the short amount of time, so organized tours were the best for us. The ships' excursions were very expensive, in large bus groups and did not really cover as much as we wanted to see. Remember, you only move as fast as the slowest person in the group, and that can be pretty slow when there are 40 or so people in the group. We did private tours for a fraction of the price. However, we had six people, so we did not need to share. If you have less than 4 people in your group, like the others have said, it's better to join your roll call and try to get in with a group for a private tour. Our private tours in Europe were limited to 6 people and we got to see so much more than what the ship's tours were offering.

TripAdvisor is an extremely good tool for researching the top things to see in each port and the top tour companies in those ports. Then go to the Ports of Call forum here on CC and search out those companies. I am sure you will find a lot of information to aid in your research. If you don't just open a new thread and ask away.

Good luck.

If you're going to Europe, the Rick Steves Guide to Cruise Ports is invaluable. We've been able to self-guide ourselves in Katakolon/Olympia, Athens, Ravenna & Venice using his book.

I've never spent more on a private excursion (and I mean private, just my wife and I) than I would have been charged for a comparable trip by a cruise excursion. For example, when docked in Izmir, we booked a private car (Mercedes) to pick us up at the port, drive to Mary's House and then Ephesus for a private guide, including the Terrace Houses for $145 (Celsus Tours). Yes, we gave a nice tip, but we were still under $200. The comparable tour on a bus from the ship was $139 per person. We saw those groups, as they arrived as we were leaving. I'm sure they had a great time, but when a couple of buses arrive at a site, it just immediately feels busier. I like the private tours because you can usually get out and going faster than the ship's tours.

I'll admit, my only experience is in Europe, so elsewhere, it may differ. Although we did book private tours for our upcoming Western Carribbean cruise, and while the gap is not as great, we are still saving money and going private.

And I'll also admit the one ship tour we actually took was in Alexandria, Egypt (a half-day city tour). We saw interesting places, but stayed some places too long, others too short and wasted too much time simply waiting on people. I'm glad we went, but was NOT particularly impressed with the experience. Although in a place like Egypt, I appreciated the safety in numbers. (We had taken a private tour to Giza the day before. We did SO MUCH more than the folks we talked to who came by bus.)

The above is a worthwhile post!!!

Do the research!!! Get Rick Steves' guides. There are some app versions which work offline- so you can take them to port. Cross reference with recommendations from CC, Trip Advisor, travel savvy news reviews (NY Times, SF Chronicle, Conde Nast Traveler, etc.) and input from your local cultural organizations representing countries you plan to visit. Even watch Bourdain reruns for port restaurant ideas!

On our most recent cruise (Med on Oceania Riviera), we stayed pre-cruise in Lisbon and post-cruise in Rome. In Rome, our boutique hotel (Garibaldi Suites - half block from Piazza di Spagna and often booked full many months ahead) was recommended by a guide associated with our local Italian Cultural Society. Other reviews all agreed on "best bet." The manager arranged airport pickup (Mercedes AMG sedan!) and tour driving along with a 40 year veteran guide who was spectacular at a cost considerably less than well respected outfits like Rome in Limos and even Rick Steves recommended "The Italian Guy" tours.

We're now planning a French Polynesia cruise out of Valpo (January on O Marina) and I once again expect the thorough research will payoff both in price and quality for everything from tours to land accommodations.

Luxury does not need to be expensive!

Could anyone tell me whether most cruiselines list the latest tender time to not miss sail away somewhere on their website so you can plan in advance or if you only get that info once you board? Need to know if a 5pm back at pier time for a 6pm sailaway is even feasible before I reserve a private tour.

Found this searching cc...

instead of a latest "back-on-board time" you'll be told the "last tender time", usually that's an hour before the advertised sailing time. This is the latest time you should be at the jetty, ready to board a tender.

Edited by Flafun888

Could anyone tell me whether most cruiselines list the latest tender time to not miss sail away somewhere on their website so you can plan in advance or if you only get that info once you board? Need to know if a 5pm back at pier time for a 6pm sailaway is even feasible before I reserve a private tour.

instead of a latest "back-on-board time" you'll be told the "last tender time", usually that's an hour before the advertised sailing time. This is the latest time you should be at the jetty, ready to board a tender.

You'll get that information in your daily newspaper on board. Beware, sometimes that last tender has lines at more capacity than the tender!

It depends on the length of the tender, but last tender is most often 1 hour before sailaway. I would not aim to just make the last one.

If an excursion thru the ship is going to someplace we want to go at a time we want to go, we rather book through the ship! It's the EASY way! :D

LuLu

True: but it really seems like it can cost a premium sometimes for that extra convenience. I'm debating between a 1/2 day larger group ship tour via bus transport that's the same price as an all day private tour for two from a highly rated tour company in much nicer vehicle with many more perks included. I'd love to go for the ship version, just for peace of mind/ease...but to get so much less is a tough trade off. :confused:

It depends on the length of the tender, but last tender is most often 1 hour before sailaway. I would not aim to just make the last one.

I guess it comes down to..."am I feeling lucky?":D They said they'd have us back by 4:30-5pm. If we miss the ship due to something unforeseen happening, we'd have to drive down to Los Angeles from Santa Barbara...we do have trip insurance - wonder if that covers it.

Edited by Flafun888

Seem that you are the only folks on this private tour. If so, just tell your driver you have to be back at X time to get the last tender, or the second last or whatever you wantto do. He will adjust his tour accordingly. If there are more on the tour, many others may need to be back too, so he could drop you, and continue with a little sightseeing around town orwhateverwoukd work for the others.

Also, re "the last tender" , it does not fill up and leave those at the end of the line onthe dock to find their way to the next port. if you are in line for the last one, they will simply send another tender back for one more trip. However, if the last one takes all waiting, and then you arrive after it has left, you could well be out of luck!

True: but it really seems like it can cost a premium sometimes for that extra convenience. I'm debating between a 1/2 day larger group ship tour via bus transport that's the same price as an all day private tour for two from a highly rated tour company in much nicer vehicle with many more perks included. I'd love to go for the ship version, just for peace of mind/ease...but to get so much less is a tough trade off. :confused:

Have to admit we LOVE taking a Black Cab in London for just the two of us to go exactly where we wish. :)

LuLu