On Board Medical Services

tom5178

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of a situation where a passenger undergoing cancer treatment, specifically chemo, has been able to get a chemo infusion on board a ship? If so, does anyone have a personal experience that they could share?

We have a cruise scheduled in Nov and the chemo schedule does not quite fit in. This cruise was booked before the diagnosis and we do have the insurance, but it would be a great change to be able to get away since our lives have turned upside down since the diagnosis.

thanks for any info!

I am not sure, but I will tell you that I am cruising on celebrity tomorrow and I am 19 weeks pregnant. They are requiring a medical note stating I am under 24 weeks and healthy to travel. They seem to be strict on their policies to travel with health conditions. I am so sorry for

Your diagnosis and I wish you a speedy recovery!!!! I hope you can go so you can relax and unwind!

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of a situation where a passenger undergoing cancer treatment, specifically chemo, has been able to get a chemo infusion on board a ship? If so, does anyone have a personal experience that they could share?

We have a cruise scheduled in Nov and the chemo schedule does not quite fit in. This cruise was booked before the diagnosis and we do have the insurance, but it would be a great change to be able to get away since our lives have turned upside down since the diagnosis.

thanks for any info!

My advise would be not to cruise as the person most likely won't enjoy it at all. I cancelled two cruises do to chemo and I'm glad I did. Have you discussed this with your Oncologist?

thanks for any info!

I'm an Internist/Endocrinologist, not an Oncologist. I very much doubt you could get intravenous chemo on board - that is too specialized a treatment for the ship's medical staff.

I think you have 2 options:

1. cancel your cruise.

2. talk to your Oncologist about delaying the chemo for a week or 2.

Keep in mind that you could be sick from the chemo or cancer if you decide to go on the cruise.

There has to be some special needs number at the cruise company that you can call to get your question answers. Have you called them.

Also, if you are outside of the final payment time, you might think about an all inclusive land resort that is close to a place where you can get treatment.

DON

I am a neurologist, and like an earlier post, not an oncologist, but I am afraid that I agree with that post. Even if your oncologist thought it'd be doable, a person could have a problem with an infusion and the ship likely would not want to take that risk, even though hopefully you've done well before.

But, I do have a suggestion. See if there is a way for your doc to talk to the doctor on the ship. If the two of them can sort this out, to each of heir satisfactions, perhaps the ship would permit.

Wish you all the best.

- Joel

Thanks to all for your comments.

We have only just started discussing this and of course, plan to talk with our oncologist. It is my husband who has pancreatic cancer stage iv. He does tolerate chemo pretty well and has just completed his 3rd month of three weeks on one week off. The cruise leaves on the Sat of the off week so it is at the time that he feels his best. The normal routine (without the cruise) would be that he would get chemo the Wed after the cruise leaves and usually does not start feeling bad until Fri night. The cruise ends Sat morn. He feels the cruise is doable as far as side effects. We do not know the ramifications of altering the chemo schedule and obviously that is a question for our docs!

We are focused on staying positive and trying to maintain some normalcy. traveling has always been our passion and will continue to be.

I guess the only thing I'd worry about is, what if he isn't doing well, or has a rough patch?

My boss is undergoing chemo & radiation right now and he's done well for a period, then he'll have a really bad few days. I know that he feels comforted to know that he can be HOME - in his own bed and able to eat what he wants when he feels up to it.

Perhaps this would be an opportunity to try something land based and a bit closer to home? Maybe a lovely lodge or B&B somewhere?

Best wishes for a quick healing.

We have only just started discussing this and of course, plan to talk with our oncologist. It is my husband who has pancreatic cancer stage iv. He does tolerate chemo pretty well and has just completed his 3rd month of three weeks on one week off. The cruise leaves on the Sat of the off week so it is at the time that he feels his best. The normal routine (without the cruise) would be that he would get chemo the Wed after the cruise leaves and usually does not start feeling bad until Fri night. The cruise ends Sat morn. He feels the cruise is doable as far as side effects. We do not know the ramifications of altering the chemo schedule and obviously that is a question for our docs!

We are focused on staying positive and trying to maintain some normalcy. traveling has always been our passion and will continue to be.

My brother had stage 4 pancreatic cancer & sometimes his chemo was delayed several days because of abnormal blood work , then resumed. I think the oncology team could certainly work something out to alter the chemo schedule to resume after your cruise. Go & enjoy yourselves .

I wish you and your husband the very best, that being said... when I had chemo I felt like crap and could barely get out of bed. No way could I have gone on a cruise. I'm so happy to hear your husband is tolerating it so well, like others who know much more than me, talk to your oncologist.

I am loving your positive attitude! It seems as if you have thought it through well to schedule it during his good week. I hope you are able to go and have a great time pending what the oncologist says.

I'm a nurse who used to administer chemo. I would be a bit reluctant to be on a large cruise ship while in the midst of chemo as you are often more susceptible to infections especially if your WBC drops. Just thinking of all the germs floating around either with Noro or upper respiratory infections and how sick your husband could get doesn't sound like a good plan.

Good luck with the treatments.

thanks for any info!

They won't give a chemo infusion.

Wish you both comfort and blessings.

- Joel

thanks for any info!

I don't have an answer, or even an opinion, but want to wish you and your husband the best of luck.

After reading so many negative threads lately on this Board, by people who have so little to fuss about, you and your husbands courage to make the best of what has life has thrown at you is wonderful to read.

You and your husbands determination to not give in, should be a lesson for all of us.

Edited by WpgCruise

I have no information regarding this but just wanted to wish you well and good results on your treatment. A good attitude is the most important thing when dealing with that dreaded disease. God speed and hope you get to enjoy this cruise and many more.

thanks again all! The kind words or so nice to read. Very encouraging as well! We will be asking the doc about any issues with delaying the treatment a few days and we will see what is said.

At any rate, I will update in the next few months as to what we (or our docs!) decide.

take care!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is also receiving treatment and we would love to take a cruise in Nov. which we have done several times. He is not getting heavy dose chemo, only shots. However, they cause his blood counts to drop and therefore we cannot chance the risk of infections. We certainly wish you both the very best and hope it works out for you.

As a. Non. Medical. professional ------If the cruise means s o much to you have you considered trying to get the chemo at a hospital at a port---I would speak to my oncologist

While the idea is ingenious, as a medical professional the LAST thing a cancer patient should do is attempt to get a single chemo treatment in a hospital in a third world country in the Caribbean. If they even have it. Most cancer centers will not do something like this due to the liability.