How Many Pieces of Luggage Do YOU Carry for a 8 Night Cruise?

monicakm

it really depends on where you are going. For example, traveling in winter for those up north, we still have to have our "getting home clothes and coat". If you go to Alaska or the Baltics, you need to pack some summer clothing for the "warm ports" you leave from (Miami, Seattle in the summer, etc) and then layers of warmer clothing for the glaciers or chilly northern climates. I have never brought a parka or heavy coat- just layers.

The biggest realization has been that I need to budget for a laundry experience with at least a few items. If you can afford to travel, that is essential. Doing laundry midway helps you pack less. I also am appreciating "freestyle" dining (or whatever your cruiseline calls it) because I don't ever have to consider that I'm wearing the same 3-4 outfits at night.

OK, I keep reading about people taking an overnight bag and that's it! Really? I couldn't take just an overnight bag for an overnight trip across town! First week-long cruise...7 pieces of luggage. That included 2 garment bags, train case (for makeup), a large tote, an overnight on wheels and two suitcases. Second week-long cruise...ditto and we (two of us) used all the clothes. Try as I may, I can't think of anything we could do without for this cruise (one week). We may not use some of the just in case/emergency things but sure as I don't bring it, we'll need it :o DH will have 5 pair of shoes (I'm only bringing 4<g>) Probably could do without one pair each but there's always that "what if". Duct tape (I've never used it but what if....), flashlight, extension cords, alarm clock, tablet, camera, phones, topical and oral first aid, meds, sunglasses, makeup mirror, blow dryer (I know the ship has one), my own pillow, toiletries. It's a good thing we have a large car! What do you think the average number is? I thought there might be a limit now. It's been 9 years since we've cruised. Princess said no limit other than what you can fit in your cabin :) All the pieces nest so it easily fits under the bed. I feel it's a tad excessive but not sure I can survive on less

Even on cruise lines with formal nights, on a 7 night cruise with a pre-cruise hotel night, for two of us we take one 26" checked bag and one 18" carry on Total, not each.

We usually take longer cruises, including 26 and 33 nights. We each took a 28" checked bag and an 18" carryon for those longer cruises. That includes first aid kit of OTC meds and enough Poise pads for everyday as well.

I pack mix n match outfits for 9 days for the longer cruises and send clothes to laundry with weekly bag special. I wear my walking shoes and only pack a pair of dress shoes and a pair of flip-flops. Hubby does the same.

We fly to ports so don't have the luxury of taking lots of suitcases.

Edited by NMLady

We always overpacked because we brought home about half the clothes that were never worn. When preparing for our first cruise starting from Rome, we heeded the warnings about cobblestones and elevators that sometimes didn't work. It was like taking off a pair of tight shoes. We loved it. With each cruise, we've packed less. We use the laundry services (RCCL). Let's face it..we all have our go-to or favorite shorts, capris, and we always buy a t-shirt or two so sending our favorites to the ships laundry was perfect. Even with 2 formal nights, both men and women carried one large checked bag and one small carry-on for a 7-day cruise and 4 nights, pre and post cruise and we had plenty of CLEAN clothes. We take the OTC meds and our prescription meds. We even carried a very powerful, small hair dryer, but no duct tape (guest services will help you if you have a tape emergency), no travel alarm, no folding hampers or any of the hanging bags etc. We carry a travel size of Downey Wrinkle release. We use zip-locks for almost everything from jewelry to shoes (2-1/2 to 3 gal). We don't carry tons of shoes..key to packing lots less. I didn't miss a single pair that got left at home. I've discovered that I HATE packing and unpacking tons of STUFF.

When we cruise, we usually spend the night in Cleveland and then fly down a day ahead of time.

Spend the day in port.

So that automatically adds two extra days to our cruise.

We take 3 carryons and 3 checked.

In our carryons are our formal wear, and bathing suits.

Those items would be the hardest to replace if a bag is missing.

Our checked bags, two are packed dividing all the cruise wear evenly and one is for the two nights before we cruise.

I guess after 7 cruises we are getting this packing thing down pat.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

I pretty much pack one medium suitcase (24" to 26") and one small carry-on (not a mini-suitcase; the kind you can fit under a seat if needed).

That's what I pack no matter if it's a 7-day trip or a much longer one. If it's a cruise, I'll take the larger of my two medium bags since more evening outfits are needed. For a land trip, I try to take the smaller one.

With a carry on each. (OK, I also had a tote & him a backpack) We didn't need formal wear, so that helped. Worked fine!

I find that on a cruise I am changing clothes so often I can re-wear them. Shorts & tee for breakfast...then change into swimsuit...then tee & capris...then nicer outfit for dinner. Even I find 2 pair of shorts & 2 capris is plenty.

Mix & match--I bring all black shorts/pants--they don't show dirt & go with everything. I do like a clean top per day.

I bring lightweight quick dry clothing that I can wash out in the sink.

Shoes--I bring a dressy pair, pool sandals & walking sandals. That's it!

Could be trickier on a longer cruise or if DH would need a jacket/dress shirt.

DH would rather check if possible. When we fly SWA I to overpack since we can check 2 bags each! But if we are paying for luggage, I'd say we'd still do the 2 carry ons/personal items plus pay for a garment bag or large suitecase--we could easily do a 7-10 day this way.

Edited by KKB

For a 7 night in warm climates, my husband and I bring a carry-on bag each, and I usually bring a large tote. We fly in, so it certainly makes flying easier.

On our recent 14 night, we still only did one shared large suitcase, one carry-on each, a backpack for him, and a large tote for me. It was probably too much stuff. A lot of my clothes went unworn.

We don't do formal nights; we dress smart casual in the specialty restaurants which makes packing a lot lighter in my opinion.

I suppose it depends on the line.

I would happily pack a weekend carrier for a more casual line. I managed to get 4 days worth of stuff in a very small pull suitcase...including a gown and dress shoes (this was my hand luggage as I was worried about losing my hold luggage).

For a formal line it would be the airline hold size due to all the dresses and my other things.

OK, I keep reading about people taking an overnight bag and that's it! Really? I couldn't take just an overnight bag for an overnight trip across town! First week-long cruise...7 pieces of luggage. That included 2 garment bags, train case (for makeup), a large tote, an overnight on wheels and two suitcases. Second week-long cruise...ditto and we (two of us) used all the clothes. Try as I may, I can't think of anything we could do without for this cruise (one week). We may not use some of the just in case/emergency things but sure as I don't bring it, we'll need it :o DH will have 5 pair of shoes (I'm only bringing 4<g>) Probably could do without one pair each but there's always that "what if". Duct tape You do not need it(I've never used it but what if....), flashlight You do not need it, extension cords, alarm clock Use your phone", tablet, camera, phones, topical and oral first aid How much 1st aid stuff can you possibly need - also you can go the infirmary on the ship if you do not have something , meds, sunglasses, makeup mirror the cabin has mirrors, blow dryer (I know the ship has one) So why do you bring one, my own pillow idiotic, toiletries bring sample sized toiletries. It's a good thing we have a large car! What do you think the average number is? I thought there might be a limit now. It's been 9 years since we've cruised. Princess said no limit other than what you can fit in your cabin :) All the pieces nest so it easily fits under the bed. I feel it's a tad excessive but not sure I can survive on less

One suitcase each. One rucksack that holds my photo equipment and electronics - I do go a bit over board on this although I have traded in my dSLRs for a smaller Sony A6000 with 1 extra lens. My wife's carry on case - who knows what is in that. We have done 30+ day cruises with this much luggage.

DON

Guest maddycat

We each take one 28" suitcase and one carry-on between the two of us. This is good for all of our cruises, 9 to 12 nights. We drive to the port so size and weight are not a factor.

We take one carry on each plus a tote between us for a short or long cruise or for 3 months in Europe. All our clothes are machine washable and do not need ironing so we wash or send out laundry if necessary.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We fly to the port and although we fly Southwest and we are technically allowed to free checked bags, we like to self assist off the ship for disembarkation so we have to make sure we can manage our own luggage.

That being said, on our last 7 night cruise we each took a large rolling suitcase and 1 took a small tote bag type bag for other stuff on the airplane. It a carry on, but no where near as large as some of the rolling carry on luggage pieces you see people bringing on the plane.

This next cruise we have booked is an 8 day and I am already wondering how I am going to be able to do it. Last time my luggage was dangerously close to being overweight so maybe will take southwest up on their 2 free bags offer. That way I will have room for more stuff to bring home!

We usually take 1 suitcase and 1 backpack each. Sometimes an additional small garment bag to share. We just got back from a trip that included 1 night in a hotel, a 7 night cruise, and a week at my parents house with a 10 month old baby. We took 2 large suitcases, 1 medium sized duffel bag, a purse and a diaper bag plus a stroller and a car seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We each take a 20" roller carry on. DW has her purse, I have a small backpack fit the iPad and a book. We add cruises to land trips. We are part way through a three month trip with a 14 day cruise towards the end and another if we can snag an attractive deal.

We skip formal evenings in the MDR so we need less. We are fine with paying for laundry. We no longer feel that we need to bring everything that we own or a pile of extra clothes for 'in case'.

We just got packed for our next 7 day cruise. There are 2 of us. We are taking one medium suitcase, a duffle bag, and a garment bag. These will be checked, and then we each have a backpack as a carry on.

I only have 1 pair of dress heels, a few pairs of flip flops, and tennies. DH is taking 6 pairs of shoes. :eek: We will actually dress for dinner every night. Do we have to? No, we choose to.

Take what ever you feel you will need. Don't let the people who only take a carry on make you feel bad. They carry what they want, you do the same. If that means more then one piece of luggage, then it does. :)

Have a great trip.

We just got packed for our next 7 day cruise. There are 2 of us. We are taking one medium suitcase, a duffle bag, and a garment bag. These will be checked, and then we each have a backpack as a carry on.

I only have 1 pair of dress heels, a few pairs of flip flops, and tennies. DH is taking 6 pairs of shoes. :eek: We will actually dress for dinner every night. Do we have to? No, we choose to.

Take what ever you feel you will need. Don't let the people who only take a carry on make you feel bad. They carry what they want, you do the same. If that means more then one piece of luggage, then it does. :)

Have a great trip.

I think this poster gives the best advice.

Honestly on here you can find lists of stuff to pack and many people will tell you that "you can't leave home without this or that" but honestly you have to get in a rhythm and kind of figure it out for yourself.

I kind of have my packing down to a science on how to mix and match my outfits and shoes and minimize what I bring so I don't bring my whole closet. My first cruise I way over packed and now I have really learned how to tone it down a bit, but I'm sure I still pack way more than some people do, and I'm ok with that. What I pack works for me and I don't think I could go with packing less.

The more you cruise the more you will learn what works for you!