Royal Caribbean Visa Card?

jules815

This one actually looks pretty good. I hate fees, never have paid them, but may look at this one. Have you used it for Royal Caribbean? How does it work? I like that there is no Foreign transaction fees.

We have had our Royal CC for years, and liked them a lot. Huge credit limit so we never have to worry. We pay our cards off every month but charge everything, and I mean everything to get points. But with the new restrictions, we are not getting the bang for the buck that we used to get. So would not mind changing if I can get a good card that I can use for Royal cruises that gets me a great bang for the buck

Cashed in for two cruises last 4 years, halfway to 3rd. There may be slightly better cards out there but I see the ship and smile every time I use it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

This one actually looks pretty good. I hate fees, never have paid them, but may look at this one. Have you used it for Royal Caribbean? How does it work? I like that there is no Foreign transaction fees.

We have had our Royal CC for years, and liked them a lot. Huge credit limit so we never have to worry. We pay our cards off every month but charge everything, and I mean everything to get points. But with the new restrictions, we are not getting the bang for the buck that we used to get. So would not mind changing if I can get a good card that I can use for Royal cruises that gets me a great bang for the buck

Hi Karen!! We just got the Barclay Arrival Plus- To get the bonus points you need to spend $3,000 in 90 days. What they do is give you a statement credit towards any travel purchase. What we did was put a $400 payment on one of our RCL cruises and then redeem 40,000 points which offset that charge so we paid 0. Then we got 4,000 bonus points.

You have to use the points in 2500 increments which is better than RCL's 5000 minimum.

It DOES have a fee, I believe it is $89. We don't like paying fees so we may cancel the card when the year is up. Ellen

Edited by molly361

Hi Karen!! We just got the Barclay Arrival Plus- To get the bonus points you need to spend $3,000 in 90 days. What they do is give you a statement credit towards any travel purchase. What we did was put a $400 payment on one of our RCL cruises and then redeem 40,000 points which offset that charge so we paid 0. Then we got 4,000 bonus points.

You have to use the points in 2500 increments which is better than RCL's 5000 minimum.

It DOES have a fee, I believe it is $89. We don't like paying fees so we may cancel the card when the year is up. Ellen

So return is 1% just like the Royal Caribbean card, but you get 2 points per all purchases vs the 1 point on the Royal card, right?

Okay all, please help me understand something. We currently use RCI'S card but it sounds like we could do better. My DH and I have never used a card that we have to pay an annual fee so that makes me nervous. Would someone please help me figure out the cost part if we should consider it? How much do I need to spend to make the Chase Sapphire card (or one like it) worth it versus a card with no annual fee. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have the bank of America card and I am building points fast! I got 10K out of the gate for starting to pay the other cruises. I will get OBC to pay for my drink package when I get onboard for my March sailing. I am using the card for everything. I have 3 more cruises in 2 years [emoji41] ! I am so not excited to be dealing with B/A again [emoji35] , but let's see how this new banking relationship works and goes[emoji11] !

Okay all, please help me understand something. We currently use RCI'S card but it sounds like we could do better. My DH and I have never used a card that we have to pay an annual fee so that makes me nervous. Would someone please help me figure out the cost part if we should consider it? How much do I need to spend to make the Chase Sapphire card (or one like it) worth it versus a card with no annual fee. Thanks in advance for your input.

On the Barclay's card the fee is $89 so to come out even, you would have to spend $4450 and get 2x points to cover the $89. For us, that is simple as we charge everything and pay it off each month. I typically do not like cards with fees either, but with getting 2x on everything instead of 1x on the Royal Card unless you charge Royal/Celebrity stuff, it is making that card look pretty attractive. Plus no foreign transaction fees makes it another good deal.

Haven't decided if I am going to do it or not, but seriously thinking about it.

I have the bank of America card and I am building points fast! I got 10K out of the gate for starting to pay the other cruises. I will get OBC to pay for my drink package when I get onboard for my March sailing. I am using the card for everything. I have 3 more cruises in 2 years [emoji41] ! I am so not excited to be dealing with B/A again [emoji35] , but let's see how this new banking relationship works and goes[emoji11] !

don't know why you have issue with BOA. All the banks pretty much do the same exact thing the same way

We recently got the Barclay's card. Since Royal is doing the bogoho deal our 75,000 points are only worth $750 onboard credit. We will use the RCL card on our next few cruises to get the double points and get to 125,000 good for a 7 nighter for 2.

We will run up the Barclay's card till we get to $3000 so we can get the $400 bonus. The Barclay's card also has a chip for secure foreign transactions.

With using it for shopping plus bill paying we will more than make up the $89 fee.

BTW we keep a zero balance.

We recently got the Barclay's card. Since Royal is doing the bogoho deal our 75,000 points are only worth $750 onboard credit. We will use the RCL card on our next few cruises to get the double points and get to 125,000 good for a 7 nighter for 2.

We will run up the Barclay's card till we get to $3000 so we can get the $400 bonus. The Barclay's card also has a chip for secure foreign transactions.

With using it for shopping plus bill paying we will more than make up the $89 fee.

BTW we keep a zero balance.

My wife's RCL card has a chip, but mine does not. Go figure

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

sounds like the Barclaycard may be a good option.

How is their website for paying online and watching charges??? userfriendly?

Very user friendly. We log in several times a month to balance the account with our budget and double check the points. Each transaction shows you exactly how many points you got per purchase. They round them up which is nice.

You also use the website to apply points to particular transactions. It's the easiest way to get your earnings that I can think of. As long as you redeem them for travel you get 10% of your points back.

They also have a 'rewards boost' site where you can earn extra points for purchases when you buy through their web portal. We've done that several times when the total cost has worked to our advantage.

Would you please post the blog post reference?

On the Barclay's card the fee is $89 so to come out even, you would have to spend $4450 and get 2x points to cover the $89. For us, that is simple as we charge everything and pay it off each month. I typically do not like cards with fees either, but with getting 2x on everything instead of 1x on the Royal Card unless you charge Royal/Celebrity stuff, it is making that card look pretty attractive. Plus no foreign transaction fees makes it another good deal.

Here is a good breakdown of the math on how to determine whether to get the annual fee card or not: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/09/barclaycard-arrival-plus-or-no-fee-version-which-card-wins/

The key is to determine how much money you would spend on non-travel related purchases.

Thanks for the web site.Very informative.

No one has mentioned the American Express Blue Cash Every Day Card, which is a no fee card that gives 3% on U.S. supermarkets, 2% on U.S. gas stations and department stores and 1% on everything else. It seems that having this card AND the Barclay no fee card is a winning combination.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I applied and a Capital one venture card is on the way.

Today I get a call from my dad (who is always searching for the best deal) And he found the Citi One "double cash" card.

Has anyone ever heard of this one or have it and like it.

It reads

NEW: Earn Cash Back TWICE

with 1% on purchases and 1% as you pay for those purchases in full or over time.

So I assume that is the same as the venture card that has 2% back.

Only difference is the Venture card has a annual fee (after first year) and the Citi one card does not.

Any feedback????

hhhmmm mine is from bank america. no fee

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=5

Edited by limoguy1

OK, I applied and a Capital one venture card is on the way.

Today I get a call from my dad (who is always searching for the best deal) And he found the Citi One "double cash" card.

Has anyone ever heard of this one or have it and like it.

It reads

NEW: Earn Cash Back TWICE

with 1% on purchases and 1% as you pay for those purchases in full or over time.

So I assume that is the same as the venture card that has 2% back.

Only difference is the Venture card has a annual fee (after first year) and the Citi one card does not.

Any feedback????

I saw an ad for that last week. The no annual fee is a big plus. I guess it just depends on what you get for it. Does it have a sign-up bonus? I don't see one...

We have the Royal Caribbean Visa card and now use it exclusively for Royal purchases. We had been saving for a free cruise on Allure but now that is no longer available with points . We will probably start using points for OBC as we have a fairly large balance.

Have switched to the Fidelity AMEX card which gives me 2% cash rebate on all purchases. This is the best deal I could find anywhere. Of course there are some vendors that don't take AMEX so we have a Capital One Venture card for those cases.

We have one. If I knew it was with Bank of America I wouldn't have. Their customer service lacks to say the least. Mainly we got it for the "10,000" point. So far 3 months later all we have received is 5,000 and cannot get an answer from boa or rci. We will probably cancel and continue using our Discover.

As I sit here on hold, (for the last 35 minutes) waiting for someone from Bank of America to answer my question about where my 10,000 points are that I redeemed a month ago. They were suppose to be applied to my cruise coming up in 34 days. Of course I cannot get anyone on the phone. This is the 3rd time I have tried. I would not endorse this credit card for this reason. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

As I sit here on hold, (for the last 35 minutes) waiting for someone from Bank of America to answer my question about where my 10,000 points are that I redeemed a month ago. They were suppose to be applied to my cruise coming up in 34 days. Of course I cannot get anyone on the phone. This is the 3rd time I have tried. I would not endorse this credit card for this reason. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Stay with it.. THey will pick up the phone. Then may tell you that you have the points in account and to call RCCL to apply the points directly.

Edited by limoguy1

did you call Royal Caribbean to see if you have OBC for the points?

I would also try Royal Redemptions at 888-305-4626.

I saw an ad for that last week. The no annual fee is a big plus. I guess it just depends on what you get for it. Does it have a sign-up bonus? I don't see one...

NO, didn't see a sign -up bonus.

Will take and use the venture one card when it comes. Will use it for a year and see how I like it. See how convenient to cash in points. If I don't like it after a year and I have to pay the annual fee, I may look into going with this new Citi card.

Royal (BOA) card was good while it lasted. But its time to move on!!!

The BarclayCard Arrival Plus also refunds 10% of your points after redemption. For instance, if you redeem 25,000 points for $250, they add back 2,500 points (worth $25) to your account. I hate to pay annual fees, but I have household bills (insurance, cable, phone, etc.) totaling $400 a month going through the card, which will earn slightly more than the fee. I have never done that before now, and am enjoying the ease of fewer checking account transactions.