HAL - Summer in the Caribbean

sail7seas

Given the unease in the world and the lack of desire for some to cruise in some areas, if HAL were to leave a ship in the Caribbean for the summer, would you consider sailing 7/10 days cruises?

For years, HAL always had new ship first summer season was in the Caribbean and we sailed Zaandam, Ryndam, Veendam..... many HAL on those summer cruises. I loved them and wish they would leave one ship in Caribbean all summer.

Well, HAL could always have a ship sailing the Caribbean through early August and then reposition her north for the fall Canada and New England season. That would help avoid the worst of the hurricane season down south.

I'd consider an August trip from Port Everglades to Montreal. As it is, the repositioning trips to the north are late spring, which just isn't as appealing to me.

No. But I have a fear of hurricanes and would never, never, never want to risk it.

I was on Half Moon Cay as one of the first ships to call after serious hurricane damage and there was no shade. NONE. What the winds didn't peel off the trees, salt water intrusion killed. It was my only call at Half Moon Cay and did not leave me with a desire to go back, even though I know I saw it at its very worst.

Also, in the event of a hurricane, so many of the islands have to prepare and sometimes that means evacuating residents. A cruise ship of passengers would only hamper those efforts.

Lastly, it's going to be hellishly hot and humid. I hate heat and dislike humidity even more.

There is nothing that would get me on a cruise in the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico/South Atlantic between June and November.

Edited by ellieanne

Would definitely consider KK's suggestion for 14-day cruises especially is a bit different that the standard, somewhat tired ports everyone calls on these days. A lot of the southern Caribbean islands do not fluctuate much in temperatures throughout the year so that is not that much of a concern. Have sailed around the back end of a class 2 hurricane on an X boat years ago with waves crashing over the top deck while we sat in the hot tub. We were young and dumb back then so we enjoyed the adventure.

HAL had to endure many cancellations at ports due to the storms. Also had to find new ports to satisfy the cruisers. Many complaints were made and people we unhappy with HAL (Like HAL could re-route the storms). Easier to go north or to Europe or increase ships to Alaska

Heck, we even had a hurricane to avoid last Sept. on our Iceland/Greenland Northern crossing. Most of us were happy:) and didn't complain as it gave us more time in Iceland. Some though thought the ride was a little bumpy.:(

Here in FL. we like the no hurricane summers. Don't jinx it!

I would love to see a HAL ship in the Caribbean in the summer.

I too live in the south and I am used to the heat. Most likely it will be cooler on some of the islands than it is at home.

Summer time would allow me to take a 10 or 14 day cruise, where it is difficult for me to do more than 7 during the rest of the year.

DH and I live in Florida and would love to have HAL do summer Caribbean sailings. We won't be doing any European, Alaskan or other destinations, so having a HAL ship available in the summer to sail the Caribbean would be great. All the other cruise lines do, so why not HAL? The lines always make itinerary changes when a hurricane is present and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. We find it's usually cooler in the islands during the summer than where we live in Florida because of the breezes.

I would love to have more options in the summer and LOVE to have the option of a HAL ship in the Caribbean in the summer.

I also live in the south and very used to the heat. For me it is cooler on many of the islands than it is at home.

Would also love to see more presence in the Caribbean for Hal in the summer months...Although we don't take the heat like we used to...we live in the South and agree it could possibly be a bit cooler on some of the islands...

We have sailed many times on other lines during hurricane season and never had a problem...have complete confidence in any of the cruise lines to do rerouting etc....to keep us safe.

Yes indeed we are interested. Like others have said, we live in the south so the heat and humidity don't bother us. Also we live on the coast, spend a couple of weeks at the beach in June & August so a cruise in May, July, or Sept. would be great! I'd love to see HAL have a ship in the Caribbean all year.

We would love to cruise HAL during the summer especially out of Port Canaveral.

HAL needs to tap into all the cruisers in the middle and northern part of Florida. Ft. Lauderdale is along way down the state if you live in the northern area and usually means a pre-cruise hotel.

Listen to your passengers HAL, Port Canaveral is undergoing a huge expansion and you are "missing out on the boat" and the money.

We're told "Never say 'never'", but this is one time I can feel confident: I would never do a Caribbean cruise in the summer---not on HAL; not on any other line.

It's too darned hot.

The number of available ships to deploy will be reduced when the two S-class ships leave the fleet (taking into account the arrival of the Koningsdam). When the second Pinnacle class ship arrives there's a good chance the number of ships in the fleet will be reduced again. There won't be any extra ships to deploy to the Caribbean.

If HAL is looking for new places to cruise in the summer months, they should take a good look at northern Atlantic itineraries. There's lots of itineraries that could include New Brunswick, Newfoundland, St. Pierre & Miquelon, and even Greenland for variety of ports and duration.

They could sail from, and return to US ports that are easily reachable for most Americans and Canadians.

Yeah, I agree but there are some issues in doing so. First it is very, very hot, just like going to Mexico in the summer, almost unbareable. Second hurricane season.

3rd the quantity of HAL ships is shrinking. 2 leave this year and are replaced by 1 next year.

While passenger capacity stays the same, less SHIPS means less likelihood of further itinerary diversification, expansion into new regions not previously gone to, etc.

**when I replied I hadn't yet read the whole thread. Looks like we're on the same wavelength RuthC :)

Edited by InTheWASide

If HAL is looking for new places to cruise in the summer months, they should take a good look at northern Atlantic itineraries. There's lots of itineraries that could include New Brunswick, Newfoundland, St. Pierre & Miquelon, and even Greenland for variety of ports and duration.

They could sail from, and return to US ports that are easily reachable for most Americans and Canadians.

Would love to see a cruise with those ports.

Port Canaveral would be a great port and much less of a drive for us who live in north Florida. I think our first HAL cruise was on the Zandam out of Port Canaveral a long time ago and we were living in North Carolina at the time. I read recently that Royal Caribbean is moving its mega-ship the Oasis to Port Canaveral. Come on HAL, move a ship to PC again! DH and I will be retiring to near Tampa next year, but the old ships HAL puts in Tampa do not appeal to us. Their smaller "suites" are nothing more than regular sized balcony cabins on the bigger ships and much more expensive. A mid-size ship in PC would attract many passengers who drive to the ports, but just don't want to drive that far to Ft. Lauderdale.

Yeah, I agree but there are some issues in doing so. First it is very, very hot, just like going to Mexico in the summer, almost unbareable. Second hurricane season.

HAL was discouraged by hurricane activity in the summer. However, the last five years have been relatively peaceful. Maybe it's time to come back.

I think that hurricanes and heat were not the primary reason for moving HAL ships out of the Caribbean. The same ship can sell the same cabin for a lot higher price in Alaska, Canada/New England and Europe.

HAL sailed Caribbean successfully for many years. Of all the times we sailed, usually b-to-b for a total of 14 days, the worst interruption we ever encountered on a ship due to hurricane was Maasdam sailing Canada/New England. We left Montreal just fine, visited Quebec City and Charlottetown and then hurried back to Boston as a large hurricane was predicted. We missed four ports and were back in Boston on Thursday instead of Saturday. Nothing even close to that happened to us sailing summer in the Caribbean. Oh yah, that hurricane veered off and never hit Boston, thankfully.