Concerns for saftey. So. Caribbean

otto2

Just read internet article citing st Lucia, Antigua, st Croix. Dangerous. Stated that shore excursions robbed. Any truth? What can we do to ensure safety? Stay aboard ship?

Aldo, what is the news re Mosquitos?

Just read internet article citing st Lucia, Antigua, st Croix. Dangerous. Stated that shore excursions robbed. Any truth? What can we do to ensure safety? Stay aboard ship?

What would be the point of going at all?

Looks like one of the robberies happened early in 2013, I found another in 2012 and 2009.

These are really rare occurrences. You have a better chance of winning the mega lottery than being robbed on an excursion off a cruise ship.

DW & I have made over 80 stops in the Caribbean since 2006 and have never felt in danger of being robbed.

Just about every port you visit in the Caribbean relies on tourism (Cruise Ship Visits) for their economy.

The 2011-2012 Business Research and Economic Advisors report states that cruise passenger and crew spending contributed approximately $340 million to the USVI coffers and that there were approximately 6,350 jobs in the territory linked to the cruise industry.

There are some precautions you can take before going ashore. Do not carry the entire contents of your purse/wallet. Only take the minimum you need, a little cash for tips, souvenirs, etc. Maybe one credit card if you're going to purchase any big items. Leave the majority of your jewelry on the ship.

Hope some of that helps...

St Lucia is a nightmare for taxi hawkers. If you want to do something there take a trip. Been a couple of times and definitely would not advise exiting the terminal on foot. Most of the boat trips leave from the pier and looked a good option. Or enjoy a nice day onboard in a lovely setting :)

Antigua is not so bad. There is a taxi stance at the pier with set prices to popular destinations. We took a cab to Nelsons Dockyard which was really good, and they can arrange a cab back so no need for driver to wait. ATV is great too.

St Croix was unspoilt and beautiful. No problems here, there are taxis at the pier with set rates again. A cab to the beach is 10 mins and not very expensive.

What would be the point of going at all?

I'd rather be on a ship in the Carribean right now, than my alternative. We are currently being socked in by a snow squall for the next 3 hours, with accumulations of 2" an hour. ;)

I had heard the same about St. Lucia. We were there last Feb. on a cruise. It seems that if you are smart and stick to populated areas you should be ok. We did a RCCL tour that was a Catamaran ride to the Pitons. It was a wonderful day! The catamaran had an open bar, we got a wonderful ocean tour of the island, which is beautiful. Stopped in a beautiful cove to swim and wander on the beach, then wonderful views of the Pitons. St. Lucia has a lot to offer, but the roads are narrow and slow so the land tours are very long. But don't miss seeing the island. It's beautiful.

I'd rather be on a ship in the Carribean right now, than my alternative. We are currently being socked in by a snow squall for the next 3 hours, with accumulations of 2" an hour. ;)

Us too in Michigan. How is that relevant to sitting on a ship and not enjoying the island one is at?? :rolleyes:

Some of the Caribbean ports are tougher than others. Look at the U.S. State Dept. reports on destinations.

We have felt safe in many ports, but not in St. Lucia. We took a ship's excursion which was just ok- but ended in a town with quarreling and aggressive vendors.

How old was the article or the event they referenced? I remember seeing a similar article while I was researching my cruise in mid 2013. We ended up going May of 2014 and had a great time and were comfortable in those locations. The only questionable time was an excursion called TASTE OF ANTIGUA took us into a very impoverished neighborhood specificially to get us to buy junk. Some might have been intimidated, but I wasn't We complained to RC and that excursion was pulled.

shack.jpg

Edited by BillOh

I had heard the same about St. Lucia. We were there last Feb. on a cruise. It seems that if you are smart and stick to populated areas you should be ok. We did a RCCL tour that was a Catamaran ride to the Pitons. It was a wonderful day! The catamaran had an open bar, we got a wonderful ocean tour of the island, which is beautiful. Stopped in a beautiful cove to swim and wander on the beach, then wonderful views of the Pitons. St. Lucia has a lot to offer, but the roads are narrow and slow so the land tours are very long. But don't miss seeing the island. It's beautiful.

I hope the OP will forgive me, but how long was the catamaran ride to the Pitons? By van/bus it took an hour over some of the scariest roads I've ever been on, I would love to go by catamaran.

I would use the same precautions in any of the Caribbean islands that I would in most American urban areas. Don't go places by yourself. Don't flash a lot of cash, expensive jewelry, cameras, etc. If you feel uncomfortable, head back to the ship. Finally, maintain situational awareness. I am always amazed at the number of people playing loud music in their ear buds and walking along totally oblivious to their surroundings. Stay alert to what is happening around you. Short of that, just stay on the ship.

We've been to those islands many times and have NEVER had a feeling of being unsafe. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't be stupid! Just like here at home there are places you should not wander on your own, know where they are. If it's your 1st time on these islands a good guide book like Fodor's or Frommer's is very helpful. Also check out the ports of call boards for recommendations for shore excursions. We never do ship excursions because we like to help the local economy rather than RC's bottom line. You can find many reliable and safe excursions by doing some research on these boards.

If you don't want to get off the ship don't waste your money and time going to the Southern Caribbean.

The thing with St. Croix is isn't nearly as developed as many other ports. There is no shopping area, just vendors with tents. There is no "taxi board" like St. Maaarten or Cozumel that has rates spelled out, no seas of shops, etc.

Now for some that makes it more of an "authentic" visit, rather than the ports that are essentially cities by themselves surrounded by a fence.

I booked a dive excursion direct in St. Croix that did shore (wall) dives at Cane bay. They handled the transportation (they have a storefront across the street from the cruise dock), and there were tons of people at the beach there from the ship. The drive was about 20 minutes, and like many ports you drive through some areas that are rather poor.

I do a lot of research before each cruise and make sure that I'm not doing anything risky when in ports. I book a lot of tours and dive trips directly, but I tend to pick things that many others have done.

Where can you go *anywhere* and have now possibility of anything nefarious happening. People have even been robbed in our small town, but not many people moved because of it.

It is wise to be wise and use reputable services and not bring along things that might be stolen or ...

We've been to St. Croix and St. Lucia several times and loved every time. Going back again in May. I've seen the news articles from time to time, but if you listen to the news everyone in California should be dead from earthquakes by now.

Tom

Have been to Dominica, Grenada, Antigua etc. down that way. Usually go on our own sometimes with 2 or 4 other people. Like to go to the areas that are not tourist traps. Deserted beaches, back alleys, and local haunts where you can get local food, drink, and conversation. When we ask our driver to take us to a place that matches our criteria we also ask if it is relatively safe. Remember, if you get a round trip deal which we now always prefer, he want's you to be there for the return drive with his fare and tip. Have not to date had any problem. (knock on wood)

It is good to have street smart sense anywhere you go. I grew up in South Central Los Angeles and I have been all over the world during 20 years in the military so I am not nervous about going anywhere in any country be it the Caribbean, Europe, Far East, etc. There are bad places all over the world and just because of where I grew up does not mean I would just venture off into areas that I would not feel safe in. Streetsmart sense is always being aware of your surrounding. As tourist folks can sometimes get so caught up in being tourist that they do little dumb things could have avoided them some trouble. A friend who was going to visit New York City and was nervous about it asked me once about crime and the such. I said when you and your wife go there don't be walking around with your head in the sky being amazed looking at the skyscrappers that you forget about the people around you and the alleyways that you are crossing!

There is no way that I would go on a cruise and go to destinations I have never been and stay on the ship for fear of something might happen! :cool:

I would be more worried about the streets here in our big cities than anywhere in the carib. lol

I have a girl in Antigua, and yes you will see things about whites and such, but that is predominantly from the older generation, just as the older whites here in the US say things about blacks.

By the way BillOh, the picture you posted may seem to draw some concern for some. But as I inferred, that is real life and real life people. I lived and worked in Y-town for 40 years until it got bad enough that people were still firing in the air on New Years Eve after I emptied mine, I said; that's it I had enough, we are moving. Watch out, things can even happen in Grandview or Upper Arlington. On a positive note (GO BUCKS!)

Well Tom

To be honest with you I am a noles fan. But since your team beat them and I have lived in Ohio for 95% of my adult life, I guess that's my so called motivation. Their in a frenzy here. I'm sure they are there too. Everybody else, sorry to get off topic. Just can't control it.

:) sorry, well sort of... I couldn't resist!

It's gonna be a great game with two great teams!

We now return you to you regularly scheduled thread!

Tom

Well Tom

To be honest with you I am a noles fan. But since your team beat them and I have lived in Ohio for 95% of my adult life, I guess that's my so called motivation. Their in a frenzy here. I'm sure they are there too. Everybody else, sorry to get off topic. Just can't control it.

I hope the OP will forgive me, but how long was the catamaran ride to the Pitons? By van/bus it took an hour over some of the scariest roads I've ever been on, I would love to go by catamaran.

BillOH, the Catamaran sail was about 4 hours. It was tour number SL 26 Coastal Cruise to the Pitons. It was a really nice way to see the island. We sailed fairly close to shore, stopped for about an hour (maybe) for a swim in a beautiful cove. We sailed into Marigot harbor which is quite beautiful (didn't stop), then down to the Pitons and back. I really enjoyed the tour. It was a beautiful day and the scenery was outstanding. They served drinks and I think some snacks on the boat. I would do it again.

BillOH, the Catamaran sail was about 4 hours. It was tour number SL 26 Coastal Cruise to the Pitons. It was a really nice way to see the island. We sailed fairly close to shore, stopped for about an hour (maybe) for a swim in a beautiful cove. We sailed into Marigot harbor which is quite beautiful (didn't stop), then down to the Pitons and back. I really enjoyed the tour. It was a beautiful day and the scenery was outstanding. They served drinks and I think some snacks on the boat. I would do it again.

Totally agree with the above!

Wonderful way to enjoy a port stop in St. Lucia! :D

LuLu

I would be more worried about the Mosquitos. From the CDC web site travel advisories.

"Chikungunya is an illness caused by a virus that spreads through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of chikungunya are fever and joint pain. Other symptoms may include headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash. Chikungunya disease rarely results in death, but the symptoms can be severe and disabling. Most people who get sick feel better within a week. In some people, the joint pain may last for months or years.

Who is at risk?

Travelers who go to these islands in the Caribbean are at risk of getting chikungunya. In addition, travelers to Africa, Asia, and islands in the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific are also at risk, as the virus is present in many of these areas. The mosquito that carries chikungunya virus can bite during the day and night, both indoors and outdoors, and often lives around buildings in urban areas.

What can travelers do to prevent chikungunya?

There is currently no vaccine or medicine to prevent chikungunya. The only way to prevent chikungunya is to prevent mosquito bites. Preventing bites can be difficult, but it is important as you can get sick after just one bite. Follow these steps to reduce the chances that you will be bitten by mosquitoes during your trip."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums