Taking suitcase OFF the ship in a port?

JF - retired RRT

Since we've never been questioned when taking our back packs off the ship in every port we've been to...the current plan is just to load up our back packs, get off the ship and take da bus to our condo (the bus stops almost at our front door and only costs 25¢). Return to the ship and do it again, until we run out of stuff.

Mostly, we're taking sheets, towels, clocks, etc. Got lots of those things in CA and almost nothing in HI (so far).

We're going to ship one of our cars over in December or January, but you can't put anything in the car.:( Silly rules.;p

Whether the rules are silly are not, they are the rules. It sounds as if you may be planning deliberately to take things onshore without clearing customs. You are right that you will probably get away with it, but is it worth the risk. If someone notices you making several trips carrying things off and stops you on the third trip, you may have a very difficult time explaining your actions to customs.

Since we've never been questioned when taking our back packs off the ship in every port we've been to...the current plan is just to load up our back packs, get off the ship and take da bus to our condo (the bus stops almost at our front door and only costs 25¢). Return to the ship and do it again, until we run out of stuff.

Mostly, we're taking sheets, towels, clocks, etc. Got lots of those things in CA and almost nothing in HI (so far).

We're going to ship one of our cars over in December or January, but you can't put anything in the car.:( Silly rules.;p

Don't forget you have to almost empty your gas tank as well! My son is military and forgot about this when they shipped his car to Oahu a few years ago. He had to drive around and sit running his car until it was at the acceptable levels!

can someone give me an example of how much something would cost to transport if other than by cruise ship? obviously the ship is cheaper or you wouldnt do it but since i never really moved far from home, i'm curious how much you are saving

The cost of shipping to Hawaii is outrageous. You can use one rate from the post office...but limited by size of boxes. Otherwise, FedEx and UPS both ship via air (not cargo).

If you look at online shopping...you will often see the disclaimer that free shipping is not available to Hawaii. Or that shipping can be more expensive than the item purchased.

Almost everyone in Hawaii uses Amazon Prime for $99 which includes free shipping.

I've shipped in both directions but can't remember what I paid. More than I wanted to pay.

Whether the rules are silly are not, they are the rules. It sounds as if you may be planning deliberately to take things onshore without clearing customs. You are right that you will probably get away with it, but is it worth the risk. If someone notices you making several trips carrying things off and stops you on the third trip, you may have a very difficult time explaining your actions to customs.

What customs are you talking about? It is just like driving from LA to SFO. You don't clear any customs on the way. How is it different on a ship? Although they could say you have been in International Waters, but I don't think you clear customs when you arrive at Honolulu on a closed loop cruise (roundtrip LA).

We were on an Asian cruise from Beijing to Singapore. When we got to Hong Kong we took a whole suitcase off the ship filled with winter clothing as we didn't need those clothes after Hong Kong. And we were returning back to Hong Kong for a few more days after the cruise. We went right past the customs people and no one even batted an eye. But of course that was Hong Kong. This year we were returning from Australia and the South Pacific and the first US port was Hilo. We cleared Immigration only at Hilo and did not have to clear Customs until we got back to LA. Go figure.

What customs are you talking about? It is just like driving from LA to SFO. You don't clear any customs on the way. How is it different on a ship? Although they could say you have been in International Waters, but I don't think you clear customs when you arrive at Honolulu on a closed loop cruise (roundtrip LA).

That's exactly what I stated when security stopped me. I explained to them that all the "goods" I was removing from the ship were purchased in the "United States". That is when they "corrected" me and told me that I should have stopped by the customer service desk the night before, filled out a customs form, and declared that I was taking stuff OFF the ship. LA to Hilo/Honolulu with no stop in Ensenada first. Made absolutely no sense to me.

The ship does need to clear customs when it docks in Honolulu (that much I do know). Someone comes on board and clears the ship. IF....the ship had gone to Ensenada first, then the ship AND all passengers would have had to clear customs in Hilo (or first port). That not being the case, I thought I was good to go.

The cost of shipping to Hawaii is outrageous. You can use one rate from the post office...but limited by size of boxes. Otherwise, FedEx and UPS both ship via air (not cargo).

If you look at online shopping...you will often see the disclaimer that free shipping is not available to Hawaii. Or that shipping can be more expensive than the item purchased.

Almost everyone in Hawaii uses Amazon Prime for $99 which includes free shipping.

I've shipped in both directions but can't remember what I paid. More than I wanted to pay.

Already used Amazon Prime twice, it definitely pays for itself when you live in HI.

We checked on shipping cargo when we first decided to move. That's one of the reasons we decided to go with nothing and buy after we got here for the big stuff.

The things we want to take on the ship are mostly linens. I have way more sheets, towels, etc in CA and almost none in HI. Hence, suitcase full of sheets, towels and some odds and ends.

You can blame the Jones Act for some of the excessive shipping cost between the mainland and Hawaii.

(I just wanted to make one post on Cruise Critic actually about the Jones Act.:D)

We took an Alaska cruise- Vancouver to Whittier- we live in Juneau- we took a bag off- and took it home, picked up other clothing- and back to the ship - no problem. That has been a number of years- so I would call Princess and ask the "company" policy. I would be surprised if there is a problem but best go to the "source". Hawaii should be not different- as long as there are no fresh fruit or plants.

Perfect timing - here's the officlal answer from today's (9/24/17) Star Princess Patter:

Star Princess Patter Sept. 24, 2017

“CUSTOMS & IMMIGRATION NOTICE”

Please see the Passenger Services Desk if you intend to do either of the following:

1) Disembark the vessel prior to the date shown onyour cruise card.

2) Land any box, package, or baggage in a port prior to your disembarkation date. Customs authorities will want to inspect these items when the ship arrives in port and will not allow any other unaccompanied items to be taken or left ashore that day. You may be assessed severe penalties by local government authorities as well as any fines/penalties Princess Cruises may incur for your failure to adhere to either of the above requirements.”

Interesting thread. I never thought to contact Princess, customs, customer service desk, the captain or the president!! My husband and I walked off the ship in Cartagena, Columbia carrying a hockey bag so full of stuff, it took both of us to carry it. No one gave us a sideways glance and I had never given it a second thought before or since!

Perfect timing - here's the officlal answer from today's (9/24/17) Star Princess Patter:

Star Princess Patter Sept. 24, 2017

“CUSTOMS & IMMIGRATION NOTICE”

Please see the Passenger Services Desk if you intend to do either of the following:

1) Disembark the vessel prior to the date shown onyour cruise card.

2) Land any box, package, or baggage in a port prior to your disembarkation date. Customs authorities will want to inspect these items when the ship arrives in port and will not allow any other unaccompanied items to be taken or left ashore that day. You may be assessed severe penalties by local government authorities as well as any fines/penalties Princess Cruises may incur for your failure to adhere to either of the above requirements.”

Thank you so much for the timely information...it's pretty much what cre8tiv1 (Renee) had posted and told me in an email.

Interesting thread. I never thought to contact Princess, customs, customer service desk, the captain or the president!! My husband and I walked off the ship in Cartagena, Columbia carrying a hockey bag so full of stuff, it took both of us to carry it. No one gave us a sideways glance and I had never given it a second thought before or since!

You're welcome ;p . I don't know what prompted me to start this thread...but I'm glad that I did.

I've certainly learned a lot.

• 2 months later...

For those who wondered how it went...

After we were onboard, we went to pax services and told the rep what we wanted to do (be careful how you explain it, she thought we wanted to leave the ship early:eek:). She told us we'd be contacted by her supervisor.

Once we spoke to the supervisor (& explained it all over again, apparently they don't talk to each other), we were told when we got to Nawiliwili to take our suitcases down to the check out line. We waited until the crowds had thinned out a bit and when we got there we were met by the port representative. We had our cards scanned and he walked off the ship with us. He even helped carry one of the suitcases down the gangway.:D

Grabbed a taxi and took them to our house.

It was a little more complicated than it needed to be due to a lack of communication with all the the PSD reps, but overall not bad.

That's exactly what I stated when security stopped me. I explained to them that all the "goods" I was removing from the ship were purchased in the "United States". That is when they "corrected" me and told me that I should have stopped by the customer service desk the night before, filled out a customs form, and declared that I was taking stuff OFF the ship. LA to Hilo/Honolulu with no stop in Ensenada first. Made absolutely no sense to me.

The ship does need to clear customs when it docks in Honolulu (that much I do know). Someone comes on board and clears the ship. IF....the ship had gone to Ensenada first, then the ship AND all passengers would have had to clear customs in Hilo (or first port). That not being the case, I thought I was good to go.

I just got off the round trip Hawaii cruise and we never even got a custom declaration form. No one was at the dock to collect it either. We had been in Ensenada the day before. I guess if you had purchased more than you are allowed duty free on the ship which they will report, then you might need to go down to the desk and inquire how to pay for the excess and get the form.

I once took a big suitcase full of clothing to donate to a charity in Jamaica once with no problems. I know some of our group cruises have gathered school supplies, etc. to donate with no problems. I took a suitcase off the ship in Rome to do wash and had no problems. I think you will be just fine loading up those backpacks and large tote bags.

I just got off the round trip Hawaii cruise and we never even got a custom declaration form. No one was at the dock to collect it either.

Our last cruise before this on was about a year ago. We were given the declaration form on the ship and when we tried to give it to the passport agent, he said "don't need it".

There have been several comments over the last few months that it's not required anymore. So glad, it was a PITA.

DH & I just started living part-time in Lihue, Kauai. We already have a RT LA to HI cruise booked and thought it might be a time/money saver if we transport some of our household supplies (already own extras and don't want to buy more) in a suitcase and take it off the ship when we port in Nawiliwili.

Has anyone ever taken a suitcase off the ship in a port of call? Does security hassle you?

Notify Princess before we leave? Notify Passenger Services before we get off in the port?

Any other problems we haven't thought of?

TIA for your thoughts!

Aloha:

I lived on Kauai for several years, taking many cruises while there. I never tried to obviously remove anything from the ship (like a suitcase) but did often take a backpack and / or duffle off in a normal fashion, returning without / empty on the way back. I stress that I wasn't carrying anything I shouldn't have been, rather getting myself a bit lighter load home from Oahu or Vancouver.

Having said that, you will face USDA ag inspection on the pier and they are more likely to open heavy looking bags - so nothing that violates the A'ina please.

Aloha:

I lived on Kauai for several years, taking many cruises while there. I never tried to obviously remove anything from the ship (like a suitcase) but did often take a backpack and / or duffle off in a normal fashion, returning without / empty on the way back. I stress that I wasn't carrying anything I shouldn't have been, rather getting myself a bit lighter load home from Oahu or Vancouver.

Having said that, you will face USDA ag inspection on the pier and they are more likely to open heavy looking bags - so nothing that violates the A'ina please.

Nope, no inspection at all when we got off.

Our last cruise before this on was about a year ago. We were given the declaration form on the ship and when we tried to give it to the passport agent, he said "don't need it".

There have been several comments over the last few months that it's not required anymore. So glad, it was a PITA.

It was required after our cruise last month. Definitely not a PITA. Simple form.

There is a difference between the Agriculture Form and the customs/immigration form. Generally....The Agriculture Form is a "required" document when you fly in to the islands. There have been a "few" times when I have missed filling it out/turning it in because I was asleep or otherwise. Hawaii is very strict when it comes to "accidentally" bringing in certain food/plant items that may harm the agriculture on the islands. Same as when you leave for the mainland, everyone has to go through an agriculture inspection. I always "declare" my Maui onions to the agriculture inspectors and TSA because they look suspicious. Certain leis and other items are not allowed to leave the islands too.

I now caution on the side of declaring any large packages I am taking off the cruise ship when visiting my family in Honolulu. Stopped once was enough.