Lunch options the day of embarkation on Eclipse

nyfeds

We will be cruising on Eclipse next month. Besides the buffet, is the MDR open for lunch on the day of embarkation? If so, how early do they begin serving lunch? Thank you.

Edited by nyfeds

Generally the MDR is not open on Eclipse on embarkation day.

You might find the Aqua Spa Cafe open, often this is so but not announced.

You will probably find the Mast Grill open by the pool, grilling hamburgers and hot dogs.

Bistro on 5 will be open for a $10 per person charge.

Usually, and I emphasize that, the MDR is not open for lunch. Try the fee optional Bistro on 5. Much less frantic than the upstairs 'cafeteria' and the food and service are very nice. The price is $10 a person and you can have as much as you want off their menu...salad, soup, main course of crepes, dessert. Only drinks other than coffee, teas are additional.

It is my go-to spot on first day of cruise.

I like Aqua Spa Cafe on embarkation day. DH goes to the Pool grill, gets his hamburger and fries and joins me there. Two months ago on Eclipse we were the only ones there. So peaceful and quiet. No extra fee either.

Thanks for the helpful replies. When we were on Silhouette in April, there was a "feeding frenzy" at the buffet the day we embarked.

That is a great description. People carrying these plates filled with food as if it was their last meal. People cutting in line for food. We just chuckle…

We will make a salad and look for a quieter place outside to eat. More relaxing.

We will be cruising on Eclipse next month. Besides the buffet, is the MDR open for lunch on the day of embarkation? If so, how early do they begin serving lunch? Thank you.

Bistro on 5 is my choice for lunch upon embarkation. Even at $10, which is double the price it was 15 months ago, the ability to sit and be served in a quiet, civilized pleasant environment is soooo worth it. You couldn't pay me to be in the buffet upon embarkation, esp having to schlep carryons until the staterooms are ready, usually after 1:30.

NYFeds, why don't you two join me there around noonish?

Bistro on 5 is my choice for lunch upon embarkation. Even at $10, which is double the price it was 15 months ago, the ability to sit and be served in a quiet, civilized pleasant environment is soooo worth it. You couldn't pay me to be in the buffet upon embarkation, esp having to schlep carryons until the staterooms are ready, usually after 1:30.

NYFeds, why don't you two join me there around noonish?

Thanks for the invite, Liesa. Will discuss this with you at our pre-cruise dinner. See you soon :)

Edited by nyfeds

Usually, and I emphasize that, the MDR is not open for lunch. Try the fee optional Bistro on 5. Much less frantic than the upstairs 'cafeteria' and the food and service are very nice. The price is $10 a person and you can have as much as you want off their menu...salad, soup, main course of crepes, dessert. Only drinks other than coffee, teas are additional.

It is my go-to spot on first day of cruise.

When I dined at the Bistro on Five in May, shakes and floats are also included in the menu. However, when I asked if they can hold the ice cream (i.e. soda only), they said I would have to pay :D

I've noticed on the last two cruises that the Buffet is getting worse due to unintended consequences of Celebrity's opening the cabins at 1 or 1:30. Lots of people are going to buffet after boarding, some as early as 11:00 and parking themselves there until the cabins are cleared. Even saw a couple of groups on the last cruise just sitting there playing cards while people walked by carrying food and unable to find seats. Celebrity has to take some action here.

I've noticed on the last two cruises that the Buffet is getting worse due to unintended consequences of Celebrity's opening the cabins at 1 or 1:30. Lots of people are going to buffet after boarding, some as early as 11:00 and parking themselves there until the cabins are cleared. Even saw a couple of groups on the last cruise just sitting there playing cards while people walked by carrying food and unable to find seats. Celebrity has to take some action here.

In our last two cruises, Celebrity actually had a card on the table during the busy time (i.e. embarkation, lunch) requesting guests to let others use the tables when they are done.

In our last two cruises, Celebrity actually had a card on the table during the busy time (i.e. embarkation, lunch) requesting guests to let others use the tables when they are done.

Yeah, I wish they would do that at the Aqua Spa Café during lunch time. People seem to camp out there with their card & board games, especially during sea days. I saw people even gaming the system by having a small plate of fruit or salad on the table while they were playing. :rolleyes:

And how did that work out? You're going to have those pax who are non compliant, thinking only of their vacation and not others. :rolleyes:

I must be missing something with the Aqua Spa cafe. We were not impressed at all on the Summit.

And how did that work out? You're going to have those pax who are non compliant, thinking only of their vacation and not others. :rolleyes:

I must be missing something with the Aqua Spa cafe. We were not impressed at all on the Summit.

The signs are also in the Aqua Spa Cafe.

Most people comply... but you always have those few that think they own the ship.

Another vote for Bistro on 5 on the first day. We much prefer to start our cruise in a relaxed manner instead of dealing with the feeding frenzy in the buffet. We have never been disappointed with the service or the food there. We will also eat there a few times during the cruise, for lunch or for breakfast.

Edited by SantaFeFan