Couple Falls Overboard From Carnival Cruise Ship in Australia

LauraS

I just don't get it - how do 2 people fall off? The news is saying that perhaps 1 jumped off to save the other but that would be stupid - wouldn't the smart thing to do - stay on the ship and report a person overboard? I'm starting to think that there should be an I.Q. test you have to pass to cruise.

Wasn't someone watching the security cam that picked this up? Why wait until docking to make a report? :confused: Surely if someone was manningthe camera station, they could ahve reported it. Not wait for dembarkation.

Are you kidding me with these people???? The LAST thing we need is more bad PR. People are going to think you can fall off of a cruise ship. Is this some kind of expensive version of jumping in front of a train? I can just hear the comments now.

The thing that always gets me with these stories is the use of the word "falls".

You can fall off your chair, you can fall off the curb, you can even trip and fall over an ottoman in your living room, but I still can't understand how you can "fall" over a more than waist high railing on a cruise ship balcony.

And I agree, why would someone's "friends and family" that the article states they were cruising with not report it and wait until Carnival cleared the ship.

Couple decides they've had enough -and it's time to end it all?

Possibly!

Wasn't someone watching the security cam that picked this up? Why wait until docking to make a report? :confused: Surely if someone was manningthe camera station, they could ahve reported it. Not wait for dembarkation.

There are (according to one news report) over 600 cameras recording stuff throughout the ship. They did go back to review the films and saw the couple "falling." I would think it would be almost impossible to "see" everything as it is happening. There were no eye-witnesses. Just hoping this story has a happy ending. Prayers out to the large group of family members cruising with them.

Security cams don't get every balcony. The ones you see are more for navigational purposes.

People who jump can be declared a suicide. People who fall can have the insurance paid. Initially, until anyone knows for sure, the term 'falls' is the safe word to use.

Once the word suicide creeps in then insurance companies will deny most claims. Then it becomes a legal issue often letting the courts decide. So the safe approach is to say 'falls' until it can be proven otherwise.

And I agree, why would someone's "friends and family" that the article states they were cruising with not report it and wait until Carnival cleared the ship.

Not every one is up in other people's business all the time. I've cruised in groups were a couples absence wouldn't be noted for some time.

The thing that always gets me with these stories is the use of the word "falls".

You can fall off your chair, you can fall off the curb, you can even trip and fall over an ottoman in your living room, but I still can't understand how you can "fall" over a more than waist high railing on a cruise ship balcony.

I believe there was an incident a few years ago where someone fell over the railing when they lost their balance while dancing on the balcony table.

The cameras are not actively monitored. It sounds like when the ship docked in Sydney the couple could not be found. They then reviewed the security tapes and observed them going overboard about 13 hours earlier.

I've been on B2B's where they are actively paging people by name trying to get them to go ahead and get off the ship so the new boarding process can begin. It would be horrible to find out that the last two people they are paging are actually off the ship because they jumped.

I believe there was an incident a few years ago where someone fell over the railing when they lost their balance while dancing on the balcony table.

Yup, there are ways to "fall" off a ship. They usually involve stupidity and/or alcohol.

People who jump can be declared a suicide. People who fall can have the insurance paid. Initially, until anyone knows for sure, the term 'falls' is the safe word to use.

Once the word suicide creeps in then insurance companies will deny most claims. Then it becomes a legal issue often letting the courts decide. So the safe approach is to say 'falls' until it can be proven otherwise.

Exactly...no point in jumping to conclusions until more facts are made available.

I just don't get it - how do 2 people fall off? The news is saying that perhaps 1 jumped off to save the other but that would be stupid - wouldn't the smart thing to do - stay on the ship and report a person overboard? I'm starting to think that there should be an I.Q. test you have to pass to cruise.

I wouldn't say that they are stupid. Yes it would have been better to alert someone else or even grab a life jacket or two before jumping in but I can understand the impulse to go after someone you love.

I have read many stories of parents or spouses jumping into raging rivers or rip tides to save a loved one... Sometimes both are saved, other times only one is saved and there are even times when both are lost.

I can't comment on the tragedy or it's cause, but I can tell you it's a misconception that insurance proceeds won't be paid out if a death is ruled a suicide. Policies state no proceeds are paid if the suicide occurs within the first six months after the policy is purchased; after six months the policy pays as if the death was natural.

I guess insurance companies figure a person planning to commit suicide won't buy a policy and then wait six months to kill thmselves. I was an insurance agent for years and I don't believe anything's changed. Check the wording of your own policy to be sure....

Archived