Poll Do you get Cruise Insurance?

Do you get Cruise insurance?  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get Cruise insurance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Molly, I didn't think it was important until I had a 45 min flight the day of the cruise and missed the ship due to airline problems (Alaska Air) and they did little to help. I had flight charges, hotel charges, etc. And caught the ship in Puerta Vallarta 3 days later (more charges). Insurance covered everything. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Oh, and I just want to add that Princess gave 5 of us who missed the ship $600 in OBC due to missed cruise days and it wasn't their fault at all. I thought that was excellent customer service and made me a Princess cheerleader forever.

I haven't purchased it yet, but have given it serious consideration on international cruises. I generally choose to get in a day early, to give more wiggle room in the schedule for delays.

Odds are, some day I'll need it, but haven't so far. Do I buy insurance each trip, or suck up the expenses the 1-2 times I may actually need it?

It's a gamble, but so far, I have been willing to take the risk.

No for me. I do purchase an annual medical evacuation policy as an air ambulance back from areas of the world can be as high as $250,000.

My recent cruises have been pricey (French Polynesia) and the insurance would have been about $1,200 for the two of us. I can't justify this expense. I always make sure I go at least a day early and would rather cruise more often without the insurance. My medical insurance does cover me while traveling.

I never use too. but now with aging family members you never know when the inevitable is going to happen and you are forced to get home soon or cancel.

It really is not expensive either considering the peace of mind that comes with it.

No for me. I do purchase an annual medical evacuation policy as an air ambulance back from areas of the world can be as high as $250,000.

My recent cruises have been pricey (French Polynesia) and the insurance would have been about $1,200 for the two of us. I can't justify this expense. I always make sure I go at least a day early and would rather cruise more often without the insurance. My medical insurance does cover me while traveling.

Thats a different type of insurance, Maybe the OP can clarify what they mean by "Cruise insurance" >

I took it as travel insurance for in case you miss your flight, miss your ship, forced to cancel etc.

I also have medical evacuation but that is an endorsement to my life policy.

Thats a different type of insurance, Maybe the OP can clarify what they mean by "Cruise insurance" >

I took it as travel insurance for in case you miss your flight, miss your ship, forced to cancel etc.

I also have medical evacuation but that is an endorsement to my life policy.

That's the type I was asking about. The ones I am talking about include medical evacuations, medical expenses, missed flights, flight cancellations or trip interruption do to illness or yourself or a family member.

The first time I bought it was in 1998 when my mother was terminal with cancer. I ended up cancelling the cruise because she only had a few weeks to live at the time of the cruise.

Since then we always buy it. Needed it again in 2004 when my husband had a heart attack on the way back from Hawaii on our Serenade cruise. We were two days away from San Diego, he spent those 2 days in the ship's infirmary getting excellent care, then we spent more than a week in San Diego while he was hospitalized. The insurance paid everything including first class tickets to get us back to PA.

Just a few comments not trying to force my opinion on anyone. Definitely agree wit evac insurance. Does your medical insurance really cover you in French Polynesia? Do you think doctors / hospitals there would accept your insurance. I understand that your insurance would eventually pay, but what do you do it you have a medical emergency in a foreign country. Insurance does not have to be expensive if you do not want full cancellation cover age. You can just purchase a $1000 policy and still get full medical, evacuation, flight delay, baggage coverage. Cost for your trip probably would have been closer to $200 (not sure of your ages).

I used to be inconsistent about it until a couple of years ago. My son got ill suddenly before our cruise, and almost didn't make the trip. Then once we were on the cruise, a family member got ill suddenly. So even if everyone seems healthy at the time, you never know what can happen.

Never have. Won't now. Maybe someday if I'm dealing with more health issues.

I consider myself self-insured. The "worst case scenario" $50,000 I'm "risking" pays out several hundred dollars every time I travel in the insurance payment I don't make for the insurance I don't buy. I travel about every two months, some cruising, some land based. Insurance would run about $450-500 per trip. That's a return of $2,700-$3,000 a year. I like my current risk profile, so I consider not buying, and self insuring to be a very worthwhile investment.

Never have. Won't now. Maybe someday if I'm dealing with more health issues.

I consider myself self-insured. The "worst case scenario" $50,000 I'm "risking" pays out several hundred dollars every time I travel in the insurance payment I don't make for the insurance I don't buy. I travel about every two months, some cruising, some land based. Insurance would run about $450-500 per trip. That's a return of $2,700-$3,000 a year. I like my current risk profile, so I consider not buying, and self insuring to be a very worthwhile investment.

As I indicated on another thread, at your age you could purchase a basic package policy with $1000 trip cancellation, medical, evacuation, flight delay, lost baggage, etc for about $45. That's what I do. I self insure the trip cost but would not consider self insuring medical, evacuation etc. Just my opinion.

Insurance is just one of those evils in life... you hate paying for it, but God forbid, if you ever need it, you're glad it was there.

With that said, I have yet to take a cruise without travel insurance, and probably never will.

Ann

Used to never take it. Then about 4 years TA asked if we wanted TI for our next cruise. I don't know why I said sure why not. The night before we sailed I had a heart attack:eek:!!!! Needless to say we did not make that cruise. So we now take it for every cruise. And yes, less than a year later DW was taking a cruise with her sister and one of them was in a car wreck a week before they sailed and they were able to get thier money back. They took the cruise a year later. Now that I am on Medcare which does not cover me outside the U.S. I have to get TI.

I figured I would do a poll since there has been so much discussion on cruise insurance. It looks like most DO get it.

I wouldn't book without it. I view it as purchasing peace of mind. I want to enjoy looking forward to my next cruise and not worry about the "what ifs."

Used to never take it. Then about 4 years TA asked if we wanted TI for our next cruise. I don't know why I said sure why not. The night before we sailed I had a heart attack:eek:!!!! Needless to say we did not make that cruise. So we now take it for every cruise. And yes, less than a year later DW was taking a cruise with her sister and one of them was in a car wreck a week before they sailed and they were able to get thier money back. They took the cruise a year later. Now that I am on Medcare which does not cover me outside the U.S. I have to get TI.

Do you have Medigap or Medicare Advantage plan? Medigap has very little travel coverage but my Medicare Advantage has 100% coverage for travel. Probably out of Network but that is peanuts in the overall scheme of things.

Archived