What would you do in the MDR?

LMaxwell

If you are sitting at a communal table and the maitre D' sits a couple/group/or family at the table that you think is dressed inappropriately, what would you do about it? Anything?

I would stand up and with a loud voice summon the maitre D to the table. Then i would proceed to point out to him, in an even louder voice, everything that is wrong with the offending wardrobe (s), I would then demand they be removed from the table and that I be refunded my entire cruise fare, gratuities and be given at least $500 OBC and a voucher for 50% my next cruise for all the inhumane pain and suffering I had to endure.

Or....

I would just strike up a friendly conversation with my table mates and enjoy my meal. Might even make a couple new friends if you can lower your nose a bit!

I would just strike up a friendly conversation with my table mates and enjoy my meal. Might even make a couple new friends if you can lower your nose a bit!

Me too. Short of them being naked nothing would really bother me.

If you are sitting at a communal table and the maitre D' sits a couple/group/or family at the table that you think is dressed inappropriately, what would you do about it? Anything?

If the wives are attractive and wearing Daisy Dukes, I am buying a round of drinks :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Silly question - followed by sillier answers. The maitre d', who seated the people, is obviously the individual authorized to determine appropriateness of clothing - if he (she?) seated them, they are clearly acceptable.

Apparently you haven't noticed some of the things that I have . The Maitre D is not always at the door when people enter the MDR. He has assistants that do the seating as well , and trust me some are not under the trained eye as he.

You ask the question and have answers.

Now, please tell us what YOU would do. :D

I would stand up and with a loud voice summon the maitre D to the table. Then i would proceed to point out to him, in an even louder voice, everything that is wrong with the offending wardrobe (s), I would then demand they be removed from the table and that I be refunded my entire cruise fare, gratuities and be given at least $500 OBC and a voucher for 50% my next cruise for all the inhumane pain and suffering I had to endure.

Or....

On my next cruise im going to try both ideas. A bit of a social experiment. Ill make note of the results and thentell the world my findings

Silly question - followed by sillier answers. The maitre d', who seated the people, is obviously the individual authorized to determine appropriateness of clothing - if he (she?) seated them, they are clearly acceptable.

I respectfully disagree that this is a silly question. I might have thought so at one time, but not after an experience we had on a cruise several years ago. My family (husband, 2 teen sons and a daughter, elderly father and his wife) was seated at a round table adjacent to a family of six (four children and their parents). In every way but one, they were the perfect dinner mates. The children were amazingly well-behaved, and the parents were fun-loving and upbeat. They gave off a really cheerful vibe. The problem was the uncomfortably distracting nature of the mother's attire. Every night, this big-bosomed, curvy thighed lady wore a tight mini dress with a wide and plunging neckline. And, she didn't seem to notice how high the skirt of her dress rode up either.

It's not like we wanted to look, but no matter which chair we sat in at our table, with their table and ours so close, everyone at our table (expect the three people with their back to the table of the family in question) was constantly in the line of sight to her exposed plenitude of breast and/or thigh. It was an uncomfortable situation. What did we do about it? Nothing. As it turned out, after the first few days, sadly, my dad got sick so he and his wife stopped coming to dinner. Therefore, we had more room at our table and were able to shift our seating to change our line of vision. What would we have done if Dad hadn't got sick? Ask for another table. If one wasn't available during our seating, we would have asked for another table at the later seating.

I respectfully disagree that this is a silly question. ... The problem was the uncomfortably distracting nature of the mother's attire. Every night, this big-bosomed, curvy thighed lady wore a tight mini dress with a wide and plunging neckline. And, she didn't seem to notice how high the skirt of her dress rode up either.

It's not like we wanted to look, ... was constantly in the line of sight to her exposed plenitude of breast and/or thigh.

I had a similar problem on the first formal night of our last cruise. A very large lady a couple of tables away, in my direct line of sight, was wearing an ill-fitting sleeveless sun-dress. She was sitting side-on to me so I could see both her back and front. The armhole of the dress gaped at the back showing the band of her bra with a couple of large rolls of fat bulging around it. The front of the dress was very low, exposing most of her breasts that were only partly covered by her bra. It wasn't formalwear, and it wasn't nice to look at. :( To my relief we never saw her again for the rest of that cruise.

When NCL started their Freestyle cruising many years ago, we gave them up as we did not wish to sit at a table in formal clothing while others at the table may show in shorts, etc.

Now many of the cruise lines have relaxed their dress codes. So we just ask for a table for 2.

You can really not do a thing about how others seated at your table are dressed. Ask for a table for 2 or go to a specialty restaurant.

Unless you are the paid fashion police, you either enjoy your dinner or you ask to be moved. It is not your position to comment on what someone else is wearing. The comment below show how bigoted and self centered some people can be. You need to get over yourselves. You are on a mass market line, eating mass produced cafeteria food in a banquet hall. If you are that stuffed up go find a luxury line and leave people who are doing their best to enjoy their vacations alone.

I respectfully disagree that this is a silly question. I might have thought so at one time, but not after an experience we had on a cruise several years ago. My family (husband, 2 teen sons and a daughter, elderly father and his wife) was seated at a round table adjacent to a family of six (four children and their parents). In every way but one, they were the perfect dinner mates. The children were amazingly well-behaved, and the parents were fun-loving and upbeat. They gave off a really cheerful vibe. The problem was the uncomfortably distracting nature of the mother's attire. Every night, this big-bosomed, curvy thighed lady wore a tight mini dress with a wide and plunging neckline. And, she didn't seem to notice how high the skirt of her dress rode up either.

It's not like we wanted to look, but no matter which chair we sat in at our table, with their table and ours so close, everyone at our table (expect the three people with their back to the table of the family in question) was constantly in the line of sight to her exposed plenitude of breast and/or thigh. It was an uncomfortable situation. What did we do about it? Nothing. As it turned out, after the first few days, sadly, my dad got sick so he and his wife stopped coming to dinner. Therefore, we had more room at our table and were able to shift our seating to change our line of vision. What would we have done if Dad hadn't got sick? Ask for another table. If one wasn't available during our seating, we would have asked for another table at the later seating.

I have never seen a dress code that says anything about how low a dress could be cut or how short it could be. Unless this is your attempt at humor you need to really worry about yourself and not what others are doing.

it depends , first night I kinda of expect it , but if it carried on to the 2nd night I would just ask to be moved. It's about setting a mood for me , personally I do not want to look across my table on formal night and see someone in a t-shirt and shorts.

A mood? I assume you are on a luxury line, because there is no mood on any mass market line. You are eating banquet food in an over grown cafeteria.

I had a similar problem on the first formal night of our last cruise. A very large lady a couple of tables away, in my direct line of sight, was wearing an ill-fitting sleeveless sun-dress. She was sitting side-on to me so I could see both her back and front. The armhole of the dress gaped at the back showing the band of her bra with a couple of large rolls of fat bulging around it. The front of the dress was very low, exposing most of her breasts that were only partly covered by her bra. It wasn't formalwear, and it wasn't nice to look at. To my relief we never saw her again for the rest of that cruise.

You are complaining about the way someone's clothes fit? How do you know that she could afford anything else, and why are you looking inside her dress anyway? Stay off the mass market lines and go to the luxury lines so that people can always wear the close that you find acceptable.

Edited by zqvol

Unless you are the paid fashion police, you either enjoy your dinner or you ask to be moved. It is not your position to comment on what someone else is wearing. The comment below show how bigoted and self centered some people can be. You need to get over yourselves. You are on a mass market line, eating mass produced cafeteria food in a banquet hall. If you are that stuffed up go find a luxury line and leave people who are doing their best to enjoy their vacations alone.

I have no issues. My bar is set at dressed and preferably does not stink. Other than that, no fashion commentary from me.