Poor service no interest in building ongoing relationships

Coco64

Ok, so, it's a long story, but I'm going to try and keep it simple so you can follow.

My partner and I were booked to go on Rhapsody of the Seas on 8 November departing Sydney for 7 days.

We had paid in full.

Last Friday afternoon, 26 September, we had some very bad news that my partners father was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer. As a knee jerk reaction, my partner immediately said, "we can't go on that cruise". Worried that he might be needed.

Later that evening, after he had calmed down, he said to me "we can go, call up and reinstate our booking and explain what happened".

I tried to call them but it was after 5pm and the phones were not attended.

Tried again Saturday, same thing, so sent a message via their website. Didn't hear anything.

Sunday, found another number that I got through on. Told them what happened and that we still wanted to go on the cruise, but was told, too bad. Your booking is cancelled and out of the system. You will have to rebook and pay again.

I have send many emails and made many phone calls and have been told that they are keeping $800 and will refund the balance of our money, being $945 but we wouldn't receive that for two billing cycles of our credit card.

I practically begged them to let us keep our booking, and even though, our room is still available, they just insist on keeping our money and just hard luck.

This would have been our first cruise with Royal Caribbean, and we were hoping the first of many. We travel 2 to 3 times overseas every year, and have never done a cruise. This has put us off.

We were really looking forward to this week away, just before our busy period at our work.

Does anyone have any advice.

Feeling very unhappy with the lack of care from this company.

I hate that this has happened. Royal Caribbean is a good cruiseline. But, I will say I don't think you can really call and cancel and then try and get your reservation back. I could be totally wrong. But it does sound like it's out of the system and then it would be up for grabs if anyone else booked that room, make sense? I know it was a hasty decision w/ the bad news, but it's just business. Not trying to be rude or insensitive.

I understand what you are saying, but, I tried to get back to them the same day. Not like one month later.
Sorry to hear about your predicament, but RCL has an 800 number, not sure how could have NOT gotten in touch with someone???? And to be honest you cancelled the cruise, not sure what you really expected?

So Sorry to hear of your experience. Have you tried getting a courtesy hold on the cabin then ringing the australian number and choosing the new booking option (rather than existing booking) and say you have a courtesy hold on the cabin and ask for the booking to be reinstated?

Also there is a Resolutions dept which is mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I don't think the normal call centre staff can do much at all outside the rules but if you can get through to a manager or someone in the resolutions dept perhaps they can help. Ask what else they can do for you instead (eg onboard credit or discount on a future cruise) - be very pleasant and let them know that you hope to take many cruises with them in the future (even if you don't feel like it!!!).

Good luck

(oh and I have had trouble getting hold of them from OZ too. As you would know we are asked to ring particular Aust numbers and they are closed overnight and during the weekend - which has frustrated me in the past too. Perhaps it is different in the US)

Edited by jenibor

First let me start with wishing your partner's father the best with his ongoing battle with cancer.

As for the cruise it is the policy of the line. You might have been lucky and got the right person to help you, but they don't have to. Cancellation insurance would have been what you needed to prevent the larger dollar loss. You are right though, the knee jerk reaction should have been ignored for a day or two before cancelling your trip.

Sorry - I know this is going to sound very harsh (go ahead flamers), but you need a dose of reality.

Ok, so, it's a long story, but I'm going to try and keep it simple so you can follow.

My partner and I were booked to go on Rhapsody of the Seas on 8 November departing Sydney for 7 days.

We had paid in full.

Last Friday afternoon, 26 September, we had some very bad news that my partners father was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer. As a knee jerk reaction, my partner immediately said, "we can't go on that cruise". Worried that he might be needed.

Ok, first of all, sorry for your partner's father.

But any "Knee-Jerk Reaction" always has to be "slept on", meaning wait til next day. (trying to keep it simple so you can follow);)

Later that evening, after he had calmed down, he said to me "we can go, call up and reinstate our booking and explain what happened".

Tried again Saturday, same thing, so sent a message via their website. Didn't hear anything.

Here's the first hole in your story; the RCI phones are manned until 11:00 pm 7 days a week. Unless you are talking about a TA in which case you should be blaming your TA instead of RCI.

Sunday, found another number that I got through on. Told them what happened and that we still wanted to go on the cruise, but was told, too bad. Your booking is cancelled and out of the system. You will have to rebook and pay again.

I have send many emails and made many phone calls and have been told that they are keeping $800 and will refund the balance of our money, being $945 but we wouldn't receive that for two billing cycles of our credit card.

Consider your costs TUITION and move on. As soon as you cancel, the cabin goes right back out there. It was probably rebooked within the day. Sending emails, , calling and whining, isn't going to talk them into cancelling someone else's cabin so you can have it back.

I practically begged them to let us keep our booking, and even though, our room is still available, they just insist on keeping our money and just hard luck.

This would have been our first cruise with Royal Caribbean, and we were hoping the first of many. We travel 2 to 3 times overseas every year, and have never done a cruise. This has put us off.

We were really looking forward to this week away, just before our busy period at our work.

Try taking a hard look in the mirror and stop looking to blame others for your BAD DECIDIONS. Be honest with yourself - you made a BAD DECISION and it cost you $800.

RCI is a great Cruise Line, and Cruising is the best vacation in the world, and what you did is 100% your fault.

Here's the first hole in your story; the RCI phones are manned until 11:00 pm 7 days a week. Unless you are talking about a TA in which case you should be blaming your TA instead of RCI.

Consider your costs TUITION and move on. As soon as you cancel, the cabin goes right back out there. It was probably rebooked within the day. Sending emails, , calling and whining, isn't going to talk them into cancelling someone else's cabin so you can have it back.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, there are a couple of things that I question.

You mentioned 11 pm, 7 days a week. Is that true in Australia, where the OP is from?

Also, they said their room was still available.

Edited by time4u2go

The exact scenario with any other cruiseline would have ended with the exact same results.

You and your partner made a rush decision and its costing you. If a blame game has to be played, look in the mirror.

Have you filed a claim with your travel insurance provider? I highly doubt that this will bring any relief, but then you could blame them too.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, there are a couple of things that I question.

You mentioned 11 pm, 7 days a week. Is that true in Australia, where the OP is from?

Also, they said their room was still available.

You are correct - the phones are not manned until 11 pm 7 days a week in Australia. They close at 5pm and are not open on the weekend which is when the OP needed customer service. This has caught me out in relation to less important matters.

In other countries we do not necessarily see the same information as US customers see (nor pay the same prices or get the same service) and this is quite frustrating.

Edited by jenibor

We had paid in full.

Won't your travel Insurance cover this?

The exact scenario with any other cruiseline would have ended with the exact same results.

You and your partner made a rush decision and its costing you. If a blame game has to be played, look in the mirror.

Have you filed a claim with your travel insurance provider? I highly doubt that this will bring any relief, but then you could blame them too.

I think the OP was asking for advice actually.

And "what you did is 100% your fault" and "look in the mirror" is not what I call constructive advice for someone seeking help in difficult circumstances.

Edited by jenibor

Well, no thanks for all the critical remarks. Smart @#$@ comments don't help me.

I am a seasoned traveller, my partner and I travel 2-3 overseas every single year.

If possible we always fly Singapore Airlines and the reason is that they are so focused on customer service and really exceed in this area.

I have had an instance with them, where we were taking our daughter with us last year. We had multiple flights and on one of the return flights, I accidentally had my daughter booked on another flight. I didn't realise until over month later. I called Singapore Airlines and they fixed it within 5 minutes. No charge. Which, under the "rules" they could have charged rebooking fees etc. But no, they could see the error I had made and could not do enough. That's why they are one of the top airlines and businesses and now they build long term relationships with their passengers and not just burning people when they can, knowing there are millions of other people in the world to line up and take your place.

Rules are rules, but rules for money grabbing another.

And for your information, the cabin was still available because they rebooked it my name, after telling me it was out of the system and I have paper work to prove.

I will not be going on the cruise as I am not paying them another cent. Unless they allow me to on the initial booking, which, they tell me is not happening.

Well, no thanks for all the critical remarks. Smart @#$@ comments don't help me.

I am a seasoned traveller, my partner and I travel 2-3 overseas every single year.

If possible we always fly Singapore Airlines and the reason is that they are so focused on customer service and really exceed in this area.

I have had an instance with them, where we were taking our daughter with us last year. We had multiple flights and on one of the return flights, I accidentally had my daughter booked on another flight. I didn't realise until over month later. I called Singapore Airlines and they fixed it within 5 minutes. No charge. Which, under the "rules" they could have charged rebooking fees etc. But no, they could see the error I had made and could not do enough. That's why they are one of the top airlines and businesses and now they build long term relationships with their passengers and not just burning people when they can, knowing there are millions of other people in the world to line up and take your place.

Rules are rules, but rules for money grabbing another.

And for your information, the cabin was still available because they rebooked it my name, after telling me it was out of the system and I have paper work to prove.

I will not be going on the cruise as I am not paying them another cent. Unless they allow me to on the initial booking, which, they tell me is not happening.

Cya then, enjoy whatever you do instead.

Happy vacationing :) :) :)

Sorry - I know this is going to sound very harsh (go ahead flamers), but you need a dose of reality.

Ok, first of all, sorry for your partner's father.

But any "Knee-Jerk Reaction" always has to be "slept on", meaning wait til next day. (trying to keep it simple so you can follow);)

Try taking a hard look in the mirror and stop looking to blame others for your BAD DECIDIONS. Be honest with yourself - you made a BAD DECISION and it cost you $800.

RCI is a great Cruise Line, and Cruising is the best vacation in the world, and what you did is 100% your fault.

Is all this really necessary?

I am so sorry about your situation. Maybe calling and asking for the resolution desk and talking to someone in a higher position would help. I will keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer for you and your family. I really hope it works out for you.

You're acting like they did this to you. You chose to cancel. So, of course they did what you asked and the cabin is back in the system and your reservation is no longer in it. I guess I believe that if I make a decision, I have to own it and not expect anyone else to.

The reality is, none of us can do anything about it for you. I don't get the "only give me the answers I want" crowd. I have sympathy for your situation, but you made a choice.

Edited by BND

So Sorry to hear of your experience. Have you tried getting a courtesy hold on the cabin then ringing the australian number and choosing the new booking option (rather than existing booking) and say you have a courtesy hold on the cabin and ask for the booking to be reinstated?

Also there is a Resolutions dept which is mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I don't think the normal call centre staff can do much at all outside the rules but if you can get through to a manager or someone in the resolutions dept perhaps they can help. Ask what else they can do for you instead (eg onboard credit or discount on a future cruise) - be very pleasant and let them know that you hope to take many cruises with them in the future (even if you don't feel like it!!!).

Good luck

(oh and I have had trouble getting hold of them from OZ too. As you would know we are asked to ring particular Aust numbers and they are closed overnight and during the weekend - which has frustrated me in the past too. Perhaps it is different in the US)

I just want to say that you seem to be one of the nicest people I have seen on here. How refreshing to answer with honesty, and compassion. Also didn't bash Royal but did acknowledge the trouble there often is getting through . Thank you for renewing my faith in humanity! Have a wonderful day!!! To the Op, I hope things turn out well for you. If you are not reinstated then maybe that is what is meant to e and later you will say, okay, we needed to cancel that cruise and we are glad it turned out the way it did. Good luck.

Sorry for this bad situation. I have been very lucky and have never encountered a problem. Hopefully your next cruise will be so good it makes you forget about this bad one.

QTPie :cool:

You cancelled . . . and then were disappointed that you couldn't un-cancel? Whether it was the same day or a month later, the vacation was just as cancelled -- you were out of their computer. You chose to stop being their customer. Your response is not reasonable.

I wish your father-in-law the best. In the long run, his health is more important than the vacation.

Whether the OP's reaction is reasonable or not can be debated. But sometimes in the name of excellent customer service a business can bend a bit and help out a customer even if they are not obligated to do so.

Years ago we had an Alaska airlines flight booked. I though it was tomorrow instead of today. So we missed our flight and I called the airline in a panic. The nice lady on the phone laughed and changed our reservation to the next day at no cost. Of course she could have charged a change fee but she didn't. Because of that we fly alaska any time we can.

Sometimes bending the rules a bit can pay big dividends.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums