Bed Orientation, help me compile a list

sashas_mom

Okay, I'm not Theo or Dave who do an incredible job for all of us which we all appreciate so much. However, I have found a need and would like to fill it. Now that we are going to be booking obstructed cabins I was wondering if some had the beds against the side wall as opposed to under the window. Frankly, I didn't even know that option existed until a post was made with pictures showing it on the Star. Sooo....

If you have been in an obstructed cabin and the beds were on the side wall, please list the ship and cabin number and how recently you sailed, and I will keep track of it. Once we have a good size list we will figure out a way to give you access to the list so you don't have to remember this thread. I have some ideas on how that can be done.

Also, if you know of some good balcony obstructed cabins, mention that as well and I will keep that list separate.

Keep in mind the floor plans on Princess site are useless, they use a generic picture which obviously is not accurate.

E631 Grand

E307 Star 2014

Edited by sasha'smom

Island Princess Plaza deck unobstructed view cabins -- under the window.

Sapphire & Diamond Princess Emerald deck obstructed view cabins -- under the window

FYI, I've found that with the bed under the window, the view is less important than noise. Cabins on either side of a fire door have a metal strip in the floor in the hallway and every time a cart or room service rolls over the strip, there's banging and rattling. After having E701 on the Sapphire in January, I had booked the same cabin for my March 1 cruise so when I got home, I immediately changed it. All I really need is light and can live without the rattling from the wee hours of the morning.

epana3yr.jpg

Edited by Pam in CA

Emerald - E511 - Against The Wall - Sept 2013

Golden - E424 - Under The Window - Late Oct 2013

***also overhead bunk on each side. The most uncomfortable cabin ever

Sapphire - E423 - Under The Window - Jan-Feb 2014

Thanks for trying to take this on. It sure is frustrating. Agree about the Princess website being useless. Princess reps don't even know when you call and ask them. They just look at the deck plan on their website! I find the Travelocity website deck plans more accurate and easy to use. I am one that does NOT like the square under the window layout, I prefer the longway against the wall layout. Sometimes the layout can't be helped depending on the class of ship. Keep in mind also that some ships in the same class will likely be the same.

Island Princess Plaza deck unobstructed view cabins -- under the window.

Sapphire & Diamond Princess Emerald deck obstructed view cabins -- under the window

FYI, I've found that with the bed under the window, the view is less important than noise. Cabins on either side of a fire door have a metal strip in the floor in the hallway and every time a cart or room service rolls over the strip, there's banging and rattling. After having E701 on the Sapphire in January, I had booked the same cabin for my March 1 cruise so when I got home, I immediately changed it. All I really need is light and can live without the rattling from the wee hours of the morning.

epana3yr.jpg

That's a great tip, Pam. How would one know where the fire doors are by looking at the deck plans? Is it every door down the hallway?

That's a great tip' date=' Pam. How would one know where the fire doors are by looking at the deck plans? Is it every door down the hallway?[/quote']Fire doors are where the first number in the cabin number changes. For instance, between E633 and E701. You'll see the door symbol on the deck plan.

Okay' date=' I'm not Theo or Dave who do an incredible job for all of us which we all appreciate so much. However, I have found a need and would like to fill it. Now that we are going to be booking obstructed cabins I was wondering if some had the beds against the side wall as opposed to under the window. Frankly, I didn't even know that option existed until a post was made with pictures showing it on the Star. Sooo....

If you have been in an obstructed cabin and the beds were on the side wall, please list the ship and cabin number and how recently you sailed, and I will keep track of it. Once we have a good size list we will figure out a way to give you access to the list so you don't have to remember this thread. I have some ideas on how that can be done.

Also, if you know of some good balcony obstructed cabins, mention that as well and I will keep that list separate.

Keep in mind the floor plans on Princess site are useless, they use a generic picture which obviously is not accurate.

E631 Grand

E307 Star 2014[/quote']

E511 Emerald Sept 2013

I find the Travelocity website deck plans more accurate and easy to use. I am one that does NOT like the square under the window layout, I prefer the longway against the wall layout. Sometimes the layout can't be helped depending on the class of ship. Keep in mind also that some ships in the same class will likely be the same.

I took your suggestion, and this where the frustration is. On the Grand they show the picture of the obstructed category with the bed under the window, which I now know is not always accurate. So even the Travelocity site doesn't have it right.

Good to see another list maintainer here. This is part of what we can do for each other on Cruise Critic.

Recently Neptune Seas created the Maitre D' list and I seem to have adopted the Cruise Director list maintenance.

Although we have no way to sticky the lists as long as they stay reasonably active the list can be easily found in the first few pages of topics. I bump the Cruise Directors list every so often by adding the latest updates to the master list.

Terry

Good to see another list maintainer here. This is part of what we can do for each other on Cruise Critic.

Recently Neptune Seas created the Maitre D' list and I seem to have adopted the Cruise Director list maintenance.

Although we have no way to sticky the lists as long as they stay reasonably active the list can be easily found in the first few pages of topics. I bump the Cruise Directors list every so often by adding the latest updates to the master list.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for doing your list. I look at it frequently and find it very helpful. I hope this list will be helpful as well.

Eileen

Not sure if this is true to all ships but we had an obstructed view on the Emerald Princess. When we booked it we were told by TA that if the cabin is designated a two person cabin then the bed would be against the wall. If cabin was designated for three or four occupancy then the bed woul be under the window. Makes sense since bed could be split and pushed against side to allow drop down of upper bunks.

Crown Princess E 701, best obstructed (with absolutely no obstruction) in the world! IMHO. Honestly, don't remember noise from the room service carts... but it was a port intensive trip and we were up early every morning

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if this is true to all ships but we had an obstructed view on the Emerald Princess. When we booked it we were told by TA that if the cabin is designated a two person cabin then the bed would be against the wall. If cabin was designated for three or four occupancy then the bed woul be under the window. Makes sense since bed could be split and pushed against side to allow drop down of upper bunks.
Chris, might be true on the Emerald since I've never sailed on her but every oceanview cabin I've ever had, either unobstructed on Plaza deck or obstructed on Emerald deck, always had the beds under the window, whether just for two or more.

What would be interesting and helpful to collect info on is whether some cabins for four have the beds from the walls or the ceiling. When they're from the walls, they can be very obstructive.

Crown Princess E 701, best obstructed (with absolutely no obstruction) in the world! IMHO. Honestly, don't remember noise from the room service carts... but it was a port intensive trip and we were up early every morning

Oops... Never answered the question.... The beds were on the wall

What would be interesting and helpful to collect info on is whether some cabins for four have the beds from the walls or the ceiling. When they're from the walls, they can be very obstructive.

Here's One

The Golden, Emerald E424 a cabin for up to 4. The bunks were on the wall not from the ceiling. Bunks sticking out from the wall, NOT GOOD, very obstructive & obtrusive. And, I could not imagine how 4 people would fit (squeeze) in such a small cabin.

Golden - E624 - Against The Wall - 2007---fully obstructed view

Photo:

DSCN2707.jpg

Crown- E610 - Against The Wall - 2008---partially obstructed view

*could see the ocean from window, in-between tenders*

Photo:

IMG_0096G.jpg

This thread will be such a help with booking certain OV cabins. Thanks for starting it!:D

Edited by monakayk

Eileen...thanks for starting this informative thread & agree that adding the upper bunk info would also be helpful. :)

A week from today we'll be in quad room (E501) on the Golden Princess & will post it's configuration. Being a quad it will most likely be against the window & hopefully the upper bunks will be recessed into the ceiling and not protruding from the side walls. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Very helpful information.

We will be on the Ruby in August and I plan to take as many pictures of the cabins on the Emerald deck as possible. Also will check out as many other decks for bed locations.

For those cabins that have the bed(s) under the window if they made up as Twin against the walls, instead of Queen, there is more room in the middle. (might not work for the newly weds ;)).

Theo