I have to vent and can you help me

casperbks

OK here goes carnival says that they care about the handicapped people BUT I love to swim and can do this and I can get into the pool but I can not use the ladders to get out because of a muscle deformity .. why cant carnival put in some lift chairs I am so sad that I cant swim because of no way for me as a handicapped person to get out of the pool... carnival please put in the lift chairs like the hotels have...... so if anyone can come up with a serious way for me to get help getting out of the pool please let me know... this is not funny so please no stupid replies. Thank you and yes I have asked JOHN GOT NO WHERE...:eek:

Sorry, not very helpful, but vote with your money. Other cruise lines do provide the lifts. Take your business to those lines.

Non-Smokers have said they won't sail a line because of the smoking policy, Smokers have said they will leave Carnival because of the balcony smoking ban, you might want to go on HAL. They provide them.

That is a tough issue for you. Have you tried contacting the corporation itself? They may have a better answer for you. I mean all you can do is give it a try and your voice to be heard on the matter.

Not sure about ADA issues as if the ships are not flagged as US, they may not have to fully comply with the issues. I hope this helps a little.

OK here goes carnival says that they care about the handicapped people BUT I love to swim and can do this and I can get into the pool but I can not use the ladders to get out because of a muscle deformity .. why cant carnival put in some lift chairs I am so sad that I cant swim because of no way for me as a handicapped person to get out of the pool... carnival please put in the lift chairs like the hotels have...... so if anyone can come up with a serious way for me to get help getting out of the pool please let me know... this is not funny so please no stupid replies. Thank you and yes I have asked JOHN GOT NO WHERE...:eek:

So how much help do you need in getting out? I have encountered people onboard that needed help getting out of the pool. Before getting in the pool, just ask the people around the pool if anyone would mind assisting you in getting out. I've helped out in this situation. You'd be surprised at the kind people on Carnival ships. I've mostly encountered elderly ladies with bad hips or knees that needed help in getting out. Swimming is great therapy for them.

That is a tough issue for you. Have you tried contacting the corporation itself? They may have a better answer for you. I mean all you can do is give it a try and your voice to be heard on the matter.

Not sure about ADA issues as if the ships are not flagged as US, they may not have to fully comply with the issues. I hope this helps a little.

There was a case a few years ago that reached the Supreme Court. It was ruled that foreign flagged vessels stopping at a US port of call (including port of embarkation/disembarkation) are required to be in full compliance of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Unfortunately, on the older Grand class ships on Princess, somebody confined to a wheelchair is unable to open any of the doors and the only ones automatic are to Horizon Court.

So how much help do you need in getting out? I have encountered people onboard that needed help getting out of the pool. Before getting in the pool, just ask the people around the pool if anyone would mind assisting you in getting out. I've helped out in this situation. You'd be surprised at the kind people on Carnival ships. I've mostly encountered elderly ladies with bad hips or knees that needed help in getting out. Swimming is great therapy for them.

Agreed.

I know I might be hesitant to ask if I was in a similar position but I can honestly say I would gladly help anyone who asked.

I am a little shocked no one from Carnival has replied. Not providing accessible facilities (or at least assistance) is bad business.

Casperbks- I sympathize with your problem, and reiterate that you shouldn't be too proud to ask a fellow cruiser for help getting out, if it's at all feasible. There are many of us who would be more than willing to help!

But I also have to say that between the size of the pools and the crowds that typically inhabit them during peak hours swimming really isn't much of an option- if bobbing around suits you then the pools are fine, otherwise you're out of luck.

There are pools on many of the ships that do have a shallow area (1-2 feet deep) surrounding the main pool itself... to at least cool off maybe you could take advantage of that part of the pool. It would mean getting up from a sitting position, but it might be better than nothing, if your ship offers that.

It is so wrong that Carnival doesn't have the lifts... it costs little and can provide so much to those who need it!

I would call Carnival - and I think there is a disability department you can ask to speak with - and ask them if they have any plans to put these lifts in. In the mean time, as others have said, take your money else where. But, I just wonder if maybe there are plans to install these lifts - I have just started seeing them, last summer was the first time I ever saw one. But, I would definitely call the disability department and see if there are plans and if there isn't any plans then kindly express your disappointment and let them know you find a different cruise line.

I also would urge you to call Carnival!!

And just like others have said, don't hesitate to ask your fellow cruisers for help! You'd be surprised to find out how many people with medical expertise are on your cruise, or just the will to help. I work at a hospital as a CNA and help those in a wheelchair every day and if you are ever on one of my cruises I will be more than happy to help you!

I know for sure the Splendor has a lift. One of our table mates was paralyzed and saw him enjoying the pool many times on the cruise.

I'm almost certain I have seen it on other Carnival ships as well.

Maybe not all have them but as other's suggested, I would call special needs department.

All ships should be equipped with a pool chair lift.

They may hesitate to put them in because of it being more liability. Every time I've seen them at hotels and resorts kids are always playing around with them. Parents apparently can't be bothered with telling their darlings no so it falls onto lifeguards, if there happens to be a lifeguard on duty. It's a shame because they are useful for handicapped or even just weak people. I have even seen an elderly person have to wait to get out of a pool asking kids to please get off it until someone else yelled at them.

There are lifts on the RCCL ships. Take your vacation $$ there.

Since when? I sailed Freedom of the seas and they didn't have them. are they on oasis and allure?

I do agree that it would be nice to see one of these at one of the pools. But like somebody else said, when I see them at hotels, I ALWAYS see kids hanging on them and playing on them (great parenting I guess). If I saw somebody or if somebody asked me to help them out of the pool, I would have no problem helping them.

Edited by cruise_girl2002

Since when? I sailed Freedom of the seas and they didn't have them. are they on oasis and allure?

I do agree that it would be nice to see one of these at one of the pools. But like somebody else said, when I see them at hotels, I ALWAYS see kids hanging on them and playing on them (great parenting I guess). If I saw somebody or if somebody asked me to help them out of the pool, I would have no problem helping them.

I've never ever seen one being used at any hotel I've stayed in. And I'm quite sure I had a stay during the same time a handicap person did. I feel for you OP. However you have gotten some suggestions here in terms of ships and asking your fellow passengers for help. Hopefully you can implement one or all of those ideas and still be able to swim and enjoy your cruise.

I have cruised on Carnival Pride and Carnival Paradise, and it looked like the pools were not accessible. However, I'm wondering if they have a portable pool lifts to ask for. They need them because ADA laws.. At the local Y where I swim at they have portable pool lift.. I use the lift because of my disability.. I use a power wheelchair They have 3 pools and a spa..

The ADA only requires the lifts if certain upgrades are made, mainly to do with the pools. So if they enlarge the pools, they have to do the lifts, if not, they do not need to.

I guess you could equate it to a freighter that carries passengers. The ones built in 2014 may require them but one built in 1930 would not. You see this in building built in the 1960'2 in New York. A six story walk up does not need an elevator. But if it were built now, it would.