From John Heald

jabberjaw070596

Posted on another site:

We have already started the staggered pre booked check in times for our Galveston ships and it has been extremely successful and has meant a quicker embarkation process for everyone, less wait time and a much easier process all round

We will next year start this in other home ports and as soon as I have a roll out schedule I will of course let you know

Everyone remember this is a check in time NOT a boarding time. If you are lucky you will get a 10 to 11 time slot so your wait time in the terminal will be short before you get to board.

Check in times that are after boarding has begun should be very quick and you should be able to walk directly onto the ship.

It would be bad to have a late check in time and miss the first several hours of fun on the ship.

ETA: This is a good reason to get your documents filled out as early as possible. I don't know if you have to be paid in full to complete your documents because I don't book a cruise unless I can pay it off immediately.

Edited by okgirl

I absolutely love this. We book our cruise early so when this is in full swing, just like dining times, we will be able to book the earliest check in time if we so desire.

Now the next step is to get rid of FTTF and early platinum boarding and I will be a happy camper.

Why do you want to get rid of early Platinum boarding. That's the only perk of being Platinum that I care about. I love getting on early!

While I completely understand all the "I love getting on early" and "I want to start my vacation as soon as possible" the efforts to mitigate the surge of passengers overcrowding terminals isnt something that is going to make the embarkation experience crumble - it will just make it different.

Understanding the logistics beyong a myopic individual consideration would lighten the fervor expressed about how this will be such a negative and burdensome process.

Edited by StolidCruiser

Check in times are capacity controlled. To all those who said, I'll show up anytime I want! ...not so much anymore. Once the process goes fleet-wide, IMO FTTF will experience another $$ increase. How much will one cabin pay to get onboard early?

Here's the rub for those of us who fly in before; we have to be checked out of our room at 11:00. What do you do for a couple hours with all your luggage? I will hopefully always get FTTF, so it's not an issue.

The hotel lobby is just as comfy a place to sit and wait (sometimes more so) as the cruise terminal. Sit there or somewhere else but if this policy is implemented and enforced people will deal with it as with any other travel related "layover" between one place and the other.

Here's the rub for those of us who fly in before; we have to be checked out of our room at 11:00. What do you do for a couple hours with all your luggage? I will hopefully always get FTTF, so it's not an issue.

You can still give your luggage to the porters . You could also just give your luggage to the hotel bell service and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. If more folks actually checked out at 11 and got to the port at 12, this would stop being a problem but so many folks are now arriving before departing guests are even off the ship. It is getting ridiculous.

ETA: This is a good reason to get your documents filled out as early as possible. I don't know if you have to be paid in full to complete your documents because I don't book a cruise unless I can pay it off immediately.

As soon as I heard about this I went in and filled out my on line check in and was able to choose the 10:30 time slot. This is for my cruise on the Magic in March. I haven't paid in full since final payment isn't due until January and I was still able to choose my check in time.

I absolutely love this. We book our cruise early so when this is in full swing, just like dining times, we will be able to book the earliest check in time if we so desire.

Now the next step is to get rid of FTTF and early platinum boarding and I will be a happy camper.

I totally agree with you on every point except early boarding for platinum. Why should they lose this perk?

I'm nowhere near Platinum but this should not be taken away. They earned it. FTTF early boarding needs to go. And yes I've used it before myself but have seen people act ridiculous to get onboard because they paid for FTTF. I've never seen platinum folks create a problem over priority boarding. I have seen it more than once with FTTF.

Love the idea of the new process and will be promptly pick my check-in time as soon as I can. We will find something to do if we can't check-in right after leaving the hotel. What I won't do is go to the port early and expect to be let in early. Carnival tried for years to get people to cooperate. The mantra was "ignore the email, arrive when you want." Yeah ok, dem days be over!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

The hotel lobby is just as comfy a place to sit and wait (sometimes more so) as the cruise terminal. Sit there or somewhere else but if this policy is implemented and enforced people will deal with it as with any other travel related "layover" between one place and the other.

This is ridiculous. Who would want to hang out in the lobby of a hotel?

This is ridiculous. Who would want to hang out in the lobby of a hotel?

Someone with no other place to go. I could have suggested the sidewalk, a local park or a homeless shelter. The point is if they are prohibiting entry into the terminal until an assigned (or chosen) check in time, people have options that aren't the equivalent of being stranded like the Donner party.

We don't sail until the end of March 2016, but have already completed the online check-in process, have our boarding passes and luggage tags printed. We also buy FTTF as an added perk.

Looking to board our ship in Miami and enjoy embarkation day with lunch on the lido deck, exploring the ship and sail-away! After that, enjoy some cold beverages on our balcony as we watch the sunset!