Fresh air on Reflection cabin balcony

Z-Bird

On the Reflection, any suggestions on how to hold the cabin balcony door open occasionally for some fresh air? We have used a small bungee cord on other ships but wanted to see what other ideas there are on how to do this. Thanks!

Not a good idea to keep the balcony door open. It messes with the A/C system. It will also create a wind tunnel if the cabin door is opened while the balcony door is open as well.

Do you open your doors at home while the A/C is running? :D Just kidding, but seriously, not a good idea.

The sliding door will stay open by itself. To open the door, you turn the handle a quarter turn to raise the door off the track to slide it open. Turn the handle back to the original position and the door will lower and rest on the track so it won't slide closed.

The ship actually requests politely that you do not leave the balcony door open. It messes with the air conditioning system.

Not a good idea to keep the balcony door open. It messes with the A/C system.

This is a myth. Do you have any proof?

It will also create a wind tunnel if the cabin door is opened while the balcony door is open as well.

This is true. Just be careful and you won't have a problem. The same thing can happen at home on a nice day with all the windows open to enjoy the breeze.

Do you open your doors at home while the A/C is running? :D Just kidding, but seriously, not a good idea.

I disagree. It is a good idea if that is what you want to do. It won't affect anyone else.

We often left our door open. What is the sense of having a balcony cabin if you can't open the door and enjoy the sound of the ocean? Besides, on the S-class ships, each cabin has it's own A/C regulation, so what you do in your cabin has no affect on the cabins around you. They are all independent. Just like any ship that has individual temperature controls in each cabin. Plus, when the S-class ships very being built there was discussion here on CC which explained that opening the door will turn off the A/C in your room. We found that to be the case on our Reflection cruise.

Edited by boogs

Thank you for explaining how the doors work, and for letting us know that each room has its own A/C regulation. That is really helpful. We have been on older ships that each room did not have its own A/C regulator, and would open the balcony door at times to keep the room from being too cold. The doors automatically closed so a bungee cord was one of the ways to keep it open. Nice to know we won't need to do that on the Reflection.

The sliding door will stay open by itself. To open the door, you turn the handle a quarter turn to raise the door off the track to slide it open. Turn the handle back to the original position and the door will lower and rest on the track so it won't slide closed.

This is a myth. Do you have any proof?

This is true. Just be careful and you won't have a problem. The same thing can happen at home on a nice day with all the windows open to enjoy the breeze.

I disagree. It is a good idea if that is what you want to do. It won't affect anyone else.

We often left our door open. What is the sense of having a balcony cabin if you can't open the door and enjoy the sound of the ocean? Besides, on the S-class ships, each cabin has it's own A/C regulation, so what you do in your cabin has no affect on the cabins around you. They are all independent. Just like any ship that has individual temperature controls in each cabin. Plus, when the S-class ships very being built there was discussion here on CC which explained that opening the door will turn off the A/C in your room. We found that to be the case on our Reflection cruise.

It is definitely not a myth. It is printed right on the balcony doors and we were personally informed each time we stay in a suite by the butler. It is also in the book printed on the desks in your rooms.

It's not a myth. Besides being posted, we called to complain that our cabin was not cooling well and was actually kind of muggy. This hadn't been the case on previous days. They came and fiddled with it and left and came back and told us that someone in our "ZONE" had left their balcony door open and it made the system have to work harder.

Is that PROOF? No b/c they might have been making the entire thing up. :rolleyes: I do know that after they explained what happened, and that it was taken care of, the room did start to cool off.

It's not a myth, I've seen it many times posted in celebrity today.

It is definitely not a myth. It is printed right on the balcony doors and we were personally informed each time we stay in a suite by the butler. It is also in the book printed on the desks in your rooms.

It's not a myth. Besides being posted, we called to complain that our cabin was not cooling well and was actually kind of muggy. This hadn't been the case on previous days. They came and fiddled with it and left and came back and told us that someone in our "ZONE" had left their balcony door open and it made the system have to work harder.

Is that PROOF? No b/c they might have been making the entire thing up. :rolleyes: I do know that after they explained what happened, and that it was taken care of, the room did start to cool off.

What ships were you on?

I am reporting my experience on Reflection, the ship the OP was asking about. From my experience, I know that the M-class ships work differently.

On Reflection, opening the door turned the A/C off. That the setting in one stateroom will affect staterooms around you on S-class ships has been challenged on CC in the past. My experience is that those challenges are accurate - it does not. Our neighbors were friends of ours and whenever they opened their balcony door, we did not notice any changes in our stateroom's A/C efficiency.

I do not recall seeing any mention to close the door when the room is occupied in any documentation on my cruise. I go through the binder cover to cover whenever I am on a new ship, and I don't remember seeing such a request.

It is my belief that any request to close the door is only when the room is unoccupied.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Edited by boogs

FACT IS...

On the Reflection they most definitely ASK / SUGGEST that Pax keep their balcony doors closed...

Reflection Dailies "Celebrity Today" from a Mediterannean Cruise (Summer 2014)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67289472/ReflectionEasternMed2014.pdf

Daily - Friday ~ June 27th (Day One in Istanbul)

Pg 2 (20/48 in the PDF File)

Onboard Energy & Water Conservation

... And refrain from leaving the balcony door open. [/Quote]

And from

Daily - Sunday ~ June 29th (Kusadasi)

Pg 2 (28/48 in the PDF File)

Balcony Doors

Keeping your balcony doors closed helps maintain humidity levels and keeps bugs and insects from entering your stateroom.

And also on that page... The repeated paragraph on

Onboard Energy & Water Conservation

[/Quote]

So ya... Leaving your balcony door open is discouraged

That said there are certainly many that do either when they are outside on the balcony, and/or inside

The newer S-Class Ships have a door handle system (as described above by another poster) that means the door can be locked into position along the sliding door track

Other Cruisers improvise using a bungee cord to keep doors open

I'd be lieing if I let on I have not myself been guilty of leaving the door open at times... Although I would never be one to do it for an extended period of time like overnight (have heard of folks who like to fall asleep hearing the suf / waves)

And I always have the balcony door closed if we are leaving the cabin.

I can also attest from our experiences on The Summit, that if the balcony door is open, and the main cabin door opens, it creates a wicked vortex... With high winds and ultimately the cabin door slamming shut with a HUGE bang.

Oooops :eek:

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks Sloop, I was about to "Challenge" him on that myself.

There is indeed a clear decal on the balcony door with instructions to keep it closed. On different lines these instructions can be more to the point, on others rather ambiguous. But to make sure you are considerate of others around you, you really should try to obey those instructions.

Of course in the current climate of "Its all about me" world we live in, some may elect to do it anyway....whatever floats your boat:rolleyes:

Bugs and insects are certainly a problem in many areas of the world especially when in port if the door is left open. Birds have also been known to fly into a cabin.

On S-Class it is even a problem at sea if you have a stateroom towards the aft (because of the lawn area). On Equinox while hosting a party in an aft S1 Sky Suite we had numerous bugs enter as people opened the door to go back and forth from the suite to the balcony - the butler had dropped off trays of snacks and the insects apparently were attracted to this and flew on down from the lawn club.

What ships were you on?

I am reporting my experience on Reflection, the ship the OP was asking about. From my experience, I know that the M-class ships work differently.

On Reflection, opening the door turned the A/C off. That the setting in one stateroom will affect staterooms around you on S-class ships has been challenged on CC in the past. My experience is that those challenges are accurate - it does not. Our neighbors were friends of ours and whenever they opened their balcony door, we did not notice any changes in our stateroom's A/C efficiency.

I do not recall seeing any mention to close the door when the room is occupied in any documentation on my cruise. I go through the binder cover to cover whenever I am on a new ship, and I don't remember seeing such a request.

It is my belief that any request to close the door is only when the room is unoccupied.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

With proof that other posters have posted maybe it's time to change your story.

We also like to leave door open while cruising at night. My concern is that Mosquitos are most active between dusk and dawn. If the door is open when ship docks early in AM (especially in Caribbean) you could have unwanted visitors. Sure the drapes help but those little buggers get anywhere. I just don't need to go home with an unwanted souvenir!!

I think the bigger issue is the humidity; if you are in a warm, humid climate like the Caribbean can be, the higher humidity can be tough for the AC to handle. When we do TA's the ship is moving quickly and the weather is generally cooler outside than in, and in that case we sometimes leave our door open for a short time while getting ready for dinner, etc.

You would not want the warm humid air in your cabin in any event!!

My attempted post yesterday apparently did not make it.....

another reason...the open balcony door can cause a big draft that goes into the hallways and other staterooms under the doors...this can cause a very loud whistling sound...in the hallway and other cabins

we experienced this a few times when other pax kept their balc doors open all night...M class ship....once we had to put a blanket by our door to block the breeze and noise..we were not the only ones..next day cabin attendant left reminders for everyone to close balc doors tightly...

please close your doors!

S-class ship , I believe each cabin has their own fan coil/ heat pump unit that way you can controlled the temperature in your cabin

There is probably a sensor which will turn off the unit once the the door is opened.

We have spend many a night with the door open on the Tranalanatic crossing

Turning the handle will lock the door into any position you like

Why do the doors slam, it a very simple explanation

But it is candy time, anyone notice how small the Halloween chocolate bars are this year, they less than a bit :eek: