Labadee for senior citizens

kelly-NYC

I haven't cruised in a few years, but my parents are going on a RC cruise next month with a stop in Labadee. I've never been there. While my parents are seniors, they are in pretty good shape other than my mom recently having hurt her foot and ankle. She is concerned that she will not be able to get to the beach in Labadee and is considering staying on the ship. She insists that it will be a mile walk and a climb over a stone wall to get to the water based on what she remembers from her last trip. Is this true? Is there a good way for someone with a sore ankle to enjoy Labadee?

There is a ferry that will take you from about halfway down the pier to Columbus Cove (beach). On the way back, you can take a tram to the entrance where you will have to go through security, and then walk the pier to the ship entrance.

There will probably be crewmembers waiting as you exit the ship and at the end of the pier with wheeled chairs similar to a medical wheelchair. I don't recall having to climb over a wall to get anywhere on Labadee.

There are trams that take you to the various beach/shopping areas.

If she wants to see the actual distances, you can pull it up on Google Maps using THIS LINK -- you can click on the map and measure distances from points you click on, or you can eyeball it using the scale legend in the lower right corner of the map (you may need to reduce the photo bar at the bottom of the map in order to see the scale).

She can also just eyeball it from the ship after they dock... if it looks too long to walk, she can just stay on the ship.

Although honestly, I don't think there's any more walking on Labadee than any other port I've ever been to. The walk down the pier and to the tram area isn't any different than the walk down any other pier to the taxistand area. And all the pathways in Labadee were paved for the trams to ride on.

Edited by brillohead

There will probably be crewmembers waiting as you exit the ship and at the end of the pier with wheeled chairs similar to a medical wheelchair. I don't recall having to climb over a wall to get anywhere on Labadee.

I don't know if all ships provide the chairs but checking my cruise photos I saw them on an Independence 8 day cruise in the fall of 2013.

I saw porters transferring passengers along the pier using wheelchairs so that part of the journey should not be a problem.

Once at pier entrance there is transport that takes you around the island so not much walking around IMO.

Definitely worth getting on to the island and stretching your legs and having a quick explore. There is a barbecue lunch as well which I very much enjoyed.

One tip. Good to get off the ship early when the sun is not too hot and it is comfortable to get around.

We took my parents on a RCI cruise a couple of years ago which stopped at Labadee. My Mom is 85 and cannot do much walking, so I was concerned about her time there and actually thought she would stay on ship. But she was interested in the craft shopping.....so off we go.

There were either pedaled rickshaws or she walked from the ship down the dock, i don't remember. But the cool thing was there were these wheelchairs with huge rubber wheels for the sand at the end of the dock. Now my mom has NEVER used a wheel chair, but i explained to get to the tram and shopping, it was use the chair or probably not get to the shopping area. Well, off she went in the chair and loved it. She had a great time shopping and used the chair coming back. ( i tipped the chair pusher about $5 each way, he was such a good sport about it all)

The entire place is not a whole mile! She'll be fine. Most seniors are not into beaches and sun, so if they want to stay on the ship...let them! Not a big deal, either way.

I know this is the wrong thing to write…………..I am a senior………and I bet I would out do you any day……………..:)

...One tip. Good to get off the ship early when the sun is not too hot and it is comfortable to get around.
Excellent advice!

Labadee is getting more and more paved walkways, so getting around by scooters or regular wheelchairs is much more feasible than in years past. Sand wheelchairs are needed to get near the shore, but not really needed otherwise.

The ferry (which before the dock appeared in late 2009 was used as a tender from the anchored ship) runs from the dock not far from the ship exits to the old tender dock. Nellie's Beach is immediately to your left getting off the ferry; Columbus Cove is a couple of hundred yards to your right - path is paved, but is mildly hilly and has a few steps. NOTE that the ferry is ONE WAY from the main dock to the tender dock (the not allowed return would bypass the security check to get back on the main dock). The only signs I have ever seen telling you it is one way are as you exit the ferry - seems that this information would be more useful before you were committed:rolleyes: (there may be other signs, but I haven't seen them - maybe in my rush to get ashore I just haven't noticed).

There is a free tram available to all that makes several stops from Columbus Cove at one end to Dragon's Plaza (a hundred yards or so from the dock security check) at the other. A main intermediate stop is beside the main Artisan's Market barn (many more vendors up the hillside).

Lots of chairs available in both sun and shade. Chair attendants hope for a tip if they move chairs for you, but except early in the morning there are lots of chairs already set up. Vendors are pretty pushy by US standards, but most vendors are restricted to sales areas and can be avoided by not going there.

Lots of things to do at a wide variety of exertion levels. I'm sure that one could even find a wall to climb over if one wished, but definitely not required.:p

Thom

I haven't cruised in a few years, but my parents are going on a RC cruise next month with a stop in Labadee. I've never been there. While my parents are seniors, they are in pretty good shape other than my mom recently having hurt her foot and ankle. She is concerned that she will not be able to get to the beach in Labadee and is considering staying on the ship. She insists that it will be a mile walk and a climb over a stone wall to get to the water based on what she remembers from her last trip. Is this true? Is there a good way for someone with a sore ankle to enjoy Labadee?

I have been going to Labadee for 26 years, and I don't recall going over any walls to get to water. From end to end, I'm sure it is a mile, but from the ship to the closest beach it is not. The pier is long but better than getting on a tender. Wheelchair assistance is available with beach wheelchairs if needed. Also, they have a tram that is running all day. If she wants to "shop" than the tram is the way to go. If she wants to try the zip line, or roller coaster, they can be gotten to with the tram!!!!!

There is a ferry that will take you from about halfway down the pier to Columbus Cove (beach). On the way back, you can take a tram to the entrance where you will have to go through security, and then walk the pier to the ship entrance.

This is a very nice way to enjoy the beach. Advise getting off earlier rather than later. We usually do some beach time, grab a bite, and then head back to the shop. BTW... we are seniors also.

Most of us have learned to put certain CC members on our "ignore" list.

This option is available in the "User CP" section of the website. Very helpful!

Oh, I'm well aware of that function, but if I did that I would miss some of the more entertaining posts - LOL!

Oh, I'm well aware of that function, but if I did that I would miss some of the more entertaining posts - LOL!

I rolled my eyes so hard the other day that I might have injured myself! :rolleyes:

I've learned that the TRULY entertaining posts end up getting quoted by someone else, so by using the ignore function, I'm able to avoid the "just stupid but not entertainingly so" posts. ;)

The entire place is not a whole mile! She'll be fine. Most seniors are not into beaches and sun, so if they want to stay on the ship...let them! Not a big deal, either way.

Sorry, but I absolutely disagree with your statements about seniors. I live in a senior community. You should see them out by the pool daily even on chilly days here in South Florida. They love to sun and love to go to the beach also.

I was just in Labadee last week and there were plenty of seniors there enjoying the beach and checking out the handicrafts shops.

You say all of Labadee isn't a full mile, but that would be from one extreme to the other. Then the seniors who do go to the end (Dragon Coaster on one end and Dragon's Breath on the other) would have to return, so that is two miles.

Staff have fat-wheeled wheel chairs that work on sand and will wheel those who need it over to the sand. Then there are free trams that can take folks most of the length of the island.

Also, a tender ship that used to be the tender ship before docks were built can take you over to a lovely beach area where the water is usually quite gentle.

I think it would be a pity to miss the tropical beauty of Labadee to stay on the ship, but if the OP's mother does choose to stay aboard, there are still attractive views of the area right from the ship. I do think Labadee is a big deal. It is one of my very favorite port calls in the Caribbean.

Most of us have learned to put certain CC members on our "ignore" list.

This option is available in the "User CP" section of the website. Very helpful!

...but it is so much fun anticipating what the next little nugget of wisdom will be...!!!;):)

I have a question also. My mom is renting a scooter. it is the walk from the pier to the shore which always wears her out. the heat and all. since it is paved everywhere there now, can she take her scooter? Can she take it to the end of the pier and get on the tram? Either way is fine, she is just worried about leaving it at the pier to get on the tram....